Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready to start assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi, haven't posted for a while. Recently bought a completely disassembled '74 that I had the body repaired/repainted and the engine rebuilt. I am now ready to start reassembly starting with the interior, gauges, etc. there was a thin pad (foam?) under the vinyl that covers the top of the dash that was shot. Do I need to replace it, or can the vinyl, which is in good shape go right over the metal? Here are some pics of the car ready to be put back together.

Thanks this community and you experts is always appreciated! Sorry for the upside down or sideways pics I'm not sure how to edit those!
Rick
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
iankarr
Beautiful looking car! And I love the anti-gravity mod.

You def want the foam under the dash top. 914rubber sells a kit which includes it. And here's a link to a recent post that discusses how...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=299171

PS... the best way I've found to re-orient photos is to open them on your computer, change the orientation, then change it back and re-save. Somehow it fixes most pics.
brooks944
Thanks Ian. The guy that did the body work and paint is a hot rod guy and a perfectionist, I'm really pleased with what he did. I already have the 914 rubber 'ultimate rubber' kit and plan to order their carpet set, so I'll check this out to add to the order.
Rick
PanelBilly
Do you need to lay on your back to work on it?

Ash tray goes in before dash cover
Frankvw
although I never had to do it myself (yet)...it is easy to do the foam and vinyl when the windshield is out (actually...all it out on your car, so yes...do it now !) The foam is not the most expensive or complicated task. Good luck with the build-up.
falcor75
Are you going to change out the suspension top mounts later on? Looks kinda iffy with them painted over like that....
brooks944
Yes will get to the suspension eventually. I went by a local upholstery shop today and they were kind enough to give me a piece to put under the vinyl. Thanks for the replies,
Rick
whitetwinturbo
Readers of post with Windows 7 (professional) can click on picture and they will populate on the screen in the correct non-anti-gravity mode beerchug.gif
sb914
Nice looking car. Take your pics with the smart button on the right side and your pics will be fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.