Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
For the conversion crowd. What gauges do you have in your center console.

Was thinking to replace all 3 gauges with oil temp, oil pressure and volt.

Larmo63
I'm not going to run a center console.

I don't like them, too cramped.
Steve
I'm also not a fan of the center console for gauges. Kind of wasted space, just for gauges.
Get a stock 911 combo gauge for pressure and temp. Like the one below or one that matches your motor gauge senders.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-Temperat...%257Ciid%253A15
There are cheap vdo fuel gauges, that you could mount in the dash or go for a 904 style gauge with all three in it like I did. Check the members vender page. Hollywood speedometer can also make you one
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=58970&st=0
I don't know if John still makes them, but it gives you an idea what they look like.
Auto Atlanta sells the 2" vdo fuel gauge for around $25.00
shoguneagle
Running stock 911 Carrera gauges in a 911 dash cap (oil pressure; oil quantity; oil temperature; clock; fuel quantity; tach; speedo). I currently have the vacuum gauge, voltage, air/fuel ratio set in the center console but I have to agree the location is not the best. Thinking of eliminating the center console and placing those gauges in angle mount bezels above dash center.

Still open on the center console but the gauge arrangement and viewing will determine what I have to do. Working out running problems but getting close to making decision.
mepstein
I thought I would like a center console until I drove a 914 with one. No center console for me.
jim912928
I have oil temp, 0il pressure and volt. Used new vdo gauges with the vdo 914 figment rings. Nice and clean, looks stock.
914Sixer
I see two options, one is go with a modified stock console cut off just long enough to cover the gauges. That way you have lots of foot room. The other option is to go with the 5 gauge 911 dash and no console.
GeorgeRud
I do like the small 'deposit' bin instead of the larger console (someplace to stuff things) though it's not as nice as an open under dash area. For the gauges, I installed a voltmeter and fuel level gauge in a VDO rubber bracket that fits nicely in the area of the ashtray on the dash.Click to view attachment
mepstein
Get a triple gauge.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 24 2016, 06:52 AM) *

I thought I would like a center console until I drove a 914 with one. No center console for me.

agree.gif

Absolutly hate them, I'll likely have a VGC console for sale soon.

I like the combo gauge and the ashtray delete solutions.
Cairo94507
I like the smaller deposit box on these cars. I would do the gauges there if you did not want to do a combo-gauge in the dash. I like having oil temp, pressure and volts. I did a combo gauge for my car (gas, volts and temp) and added the oil pressure into the tachometer) but have room in the deposit box if I need to add anything.
mepstein
I've seen deposit box's with oil pressure/temp gauges for a quick fix six conversion.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 24 2016, 11:56 AM) *

Get a triple gauge.

agree.gif run a combo gauge and free up that space. Very liberating! biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Not sure if 3 gauges would fit across the top of the deposit box, but that is what I would do if I had not done the combo-gauge. Oil pressure, temp and volts.
napasteve
I'm also not a fan of the center console. I love that you can have all the leg room that is not available in the standard front engine/rear wheel drive cars. When I installed SS fuel lines last winter, the console had to come out anyway to get access to the tunnel. Then I hung the temp/volt gauges under the dash. I like it.
Click to view attachment
Gary
You could put the temp and pressure gauges on the a-pillar with the piece from 914 rubber.

Another option is the getty 911 style dash. Good article here.
Coondog
Thanks for the replys. Guess I am the only one who doesn't mind the center console.
Every 914 I owned had one so I don't know the pleasure of total legroom.
i love the triple gauge, but I will stick with the CC and use my original choices.
RickS
Removed mine too. Dead useless weight and makes the cockpit look cluttered. I bought a quad gauge so have all the info I need. Did mount the fire extinguisher on the tunnel so is in easy reach in case my passenger starts screaming and I need to club them into submission.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.