Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: push button for starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
on my 73 2.0,i would like to put a push button for starting.in my reading,i understand that i can put button between hot lead and yellow lead at solenoid.is this correct,if so what is best way to get buttons up to dash from solenoid?
McMark
Big red wire and big yellow wire at the ignition switch. Re route them to the switch.

Oh, and, don't do it.
TheCabinetmaker
Nuff said!
porschetub
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 27 2016, 09:06 AM) *

Big red wire and big yellow wire at the ignition switch. Re route them to the switch.

Oh, and, don't do it.

Hard to answer better lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
jim_hoyland
Interesting how these start buttons have evolved....

See: http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/automotive...-button-choices
Bartlett 914
Really old cars had foot switches mounted on the floor on the left side LOL
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 27 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Really old cars had foot switches mounted on the floor on the left side LOL

Yup...and the headlight dimmer switch, too. Remember the vacuum windshield wipers that would slow way down just when you floored it to pass?
TheCabinetmaker
Actually, they were located to the right of the gas pedal. Trans in neutral, left foot on brake, right heel on gas and right toe on the starter pedal.
timothy_nd28
They make for great garage door switches
Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Our 1953 Nash had the starter switch on the floor, just under a tab that extended up from the clutch pedal. You couldn't start the car without the clutch disengaged. Flat head six, three on the tree. Beautiful. biggrin.gif
RickS
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Nov 26 2016, 11:59 AM) *

on my 73 2.0,i would like to put a push button for starting.in my reading,i understand that i can put button between hot lead and yellow lead at solenoid.is this correct,if so what is best way to get buttons up to dash from solenoid?

You never planning on parking it in public with your new thief bait or are you adding a hidden kill switch, which means two switches, which equals one ignition switch?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 27 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Actually, they were located to the right of the gas pedal. Trans in neutral, left foot on brake, right heel on gas and right toe on the starter pedal.

I always set the park brake, pushed in the clutch, and pulled the choke out. The hit the starter button on the floor. Started right up every time.

1931 Chevy Sedan. Learned to drive a manual on that car. My dad told me to push in the clutch so the starter didn't have to spin the gears in the transmission too.

BigFour1973
QUOTE(RickS @ Nov 27 2016, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Nov 26 2016, 11:59 AM) *

You never planning on parking it in public with your new thief bait or are you adding a hidden kill switch, which means two switches, which equals one ignition switch?

Why couldnt you have the push button inline with the ignition switch? key in, turn it to on. push the button to start. and drive away?

I know its double duty, but i think at that point its form over function.
7TPorsh
Yes I want to do this too. No more bent keys. .
Rand
I know it sounds hackish to some, but I've put hidden switches on a couple of my cars. A toggle for ignition/accs, and a momentary for start. Both located conveniently for me, but none visible to anyone else. It's nice to hop in and go without dealing with keys.
iamchappy
My old Mini had it on the floor by the seat...
KELTY360
Old technology. My '47 Lincoln had a push button start - turn the key on, then push button.
anderssj
[/quote]

Why couldnt you have the push button inline with the ignition switch? key in, turn it to on. push the button to start. and drive away?

I know its double duty, but i think at that point its form over function.
[/quote]

That's how I set this one up (aftermarket ignition switch was "iffy" in the start position):

Click to view attachment

Waytek "engine start" pushbutton installed in the cigar lighter hole; no new holes or cuts or anything. "Switched +" from fuse box to push-button (hot when ignition switch is "on"), then larger yellow wire direct from pushbutton to a Ford relay on the starter.

Font/type on the switch matches pretty well too . . . smile.gif

Hope this helps.
screenguy914
The crank position flows more current through the switch contacts then other electrical loads, and it fails sooner than the On or Accessory switch positions.

Why not? What's the cost of a new ignition switch/steer. wheel lock? Autozone ...... Autozone wants $800.00 :-O.

Click to view attachment

Just need the contact section? That's only about $30, but not sure you want to go to the trouble of accessing it (pretty straightforward though).

I'm planning on installing a separate crank button.

Sherwood

patssle
I have a push button on mine and have found it extremely useful. Prime the engine after it's been sitting a while or any other reason to crank it over with the key off.

Using this one: https://www.delcity.net/store/Heavy!Dut...n-Switch/p_8065
matthepcat
^^ My 914-V8 had that same type ^^

It never let me down.
Mark Henry
My gas snow blower had a push start..... laugh.gif

Heck these days just being a standard is a theft deterrent. shades.gif
naro914
Papa Smurf has a push start and two switches: one for the starter and one for 'everything else' including the ECU. Flip starter switch, push button and develop oil pressure without ignition to prime the oil system, then flip ECU switch, start the car.

Good habit for race engines and cars that sit for a while.
Click to view attachment

(damn those screws look rusty!!)
jcd914
I did not see this mentioned, so ...

One of the things the standard Ignition/Starter Switch does is prevent engaging the starter after the engine has been started. Once you turn the key to the start position you have to turn it back to off to turn it to start again.

So if you install a push button start switch mount it where it is not likely to get bumped while driving and don't push it while the engine is running.
It can be bad for the starters and flywheel to be engaged while the engine is running.

Jim
Bills914-4
I put starter button in my dash , only works with the key on , it helps when you stall the
car and you don't have to turn the key off & back on ( just push button ) , it also runs through a relay ,
I've been running it for a couple years Bill D.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=252391&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.