Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery re-location ??? HELP !!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ajracer
Just thought I might get some good comments or suggestions in mounting my Optium
Battery within the engine bay of my V8 project car. You will notice from the attached
photos the vehicle has a roll bar which passes through the original battery location as
well over top my "new" suggested location.

Does anyone have any pictures of their V8 project car showing if there is sufficent room
around this area; which may be needed to remove the battery for replacement. Can I
actually remove it once the V8 is installed. Since I am a little while from installing the
engine just wanted to know if anyone has previously used this location or the original
location successfully ? I understand the Optium battery can be mounted just about
anywhere and seeing that I am trying to retain some luggage storage space I thought
this might work ok.

Any comments, replies or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks from Toronto

Allan
ajracer
Top view
ajracer
Another view
dlee1967
Allan, why don't you just move it to the front trunck? That space is already essentially unusable on a V8 car for any luggage due to the radiator placement. This would leave you at least a complete rear luggage area. If you are good you can put both an inflatable spare and the battery up front. Both of my cars still retain the battery in the stock location, but if I tied the cage to the rear ear as you have, I would put it up front. DLee
ClayPerrine
Put a battery box in the rear trunk that drops down to the right of the transmission. Make a cover for it so that you can still use the trunk.

Just my .02

JB 914
I would put it in the front or rear trunk. I think that location is gonna be a pain.
ajracer
Bump

Anyone else with some thoughts or suggestions !!!!

Still leaning towards keeping in the engine bay area !

(I actually am planning an air exit out bottom of the front
trunk, thus trying to salvage some storage up front)

Keep it coming.

Allan

PS. WCC sure looks like a great time was had by All !!

neo914-6
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Apr 24 2005, 05:08 PM)
Put a battery box in the rear trunk that drops down to the right of the transmission. Make a cover for it so that you can still use the trunk.

Just my .02

agree.gif Jaide used this location in the 80's.
ajracer
TRUNK idea is good IF you have ROOM !!!

My problem is now room to drop it down.

IS there a problem using the engine ? even with Optima battery

which in my understanding DOES NOT leak acid !

Anyone else with thoughts ?

Thanks

Allan
neo914-6
Get the gel batteries that are half the size of standard which offer more places to mount...
smrz914
I'm moving mine to the front. No buts about it.
boxstr
It appears you might be abler to mount a battery in tha engine bay area, but I would be looking at an Odyssey or a Miata battery. Much smaller, still gel cell and they can be mounted virtually upside down if you wanted.
CCLINIHAVEAV8
bondo
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 29 2005, 07:42 AM)
Get the gel batteries that are half the size of standard which offer more places to mount...

Yup, get an odyssey battery. It's quite a bit smaller than an optima, but puts out MORE current. More expensive of course, but they aren't THAT bad.
Brad Roberts
Flip the battery over on its side facing us in the pics. See if it will fit under that bar facing the drivers side. Otherwise.. I have done the sunken battery box like Clay mentioned (and used a smaller battery)

B
ajracer
Brad:

Thanks for the simple yet great idea; I tried it and fits well, now I just

need to fab a bracket and hold down strap. Thanks again. All the Best

Allan

Brad Roberts
I was gifted with *some* common sense. laugh.gif Sometimes the easiest solution is not clear to everyone. Most of us try to overengineer everything. beerchug.gif

Shoot a pic and show us what it looks like when you are done.

B
Andyrew
Crazy idea... but what about building a shelf for the battery right beside (closer towards the engine) that area and mount it secure and normal.

You've got a sbc, you should have PLEANTY of room....

That or on its side on top of the roll bar....

My two idea's.

edit: nm, I like brads idea better wink.gif
ajracer
Thanks BRAD;; greatly appreciate the common sense; I usually am pretty good
with that stuff, but just drew a blank when I was working on the mounting and
battery set-up.

Check out my pictures and provide any comments accordingly. Thanks again
everyone for your input.

Be sure to look over my progress under the "Project 914-LT1" things are starting
to take shape and hope to actually be cruising the streets of Toronto this summer.

Allan

ajracer
top view; sorry I should have rotated 90 deg. but a least you get the idea,
there appears to be lots of room.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.