Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor ID
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
troth
Hey folks,
Is there any way for a newbie like me to determine what distributor I have in my car without pulling it? What side should the part number be stamped on? I'm assuming it's stamped... I felt around and couldn't feel any plates or anything.

I tried to stick a camera in there to take pictures of the sides I can't see but couldn't find any part numbers. Would a mirror help or does the thing need to come out of the car?

Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Does it run OK? If so, why do you care? If not, pull it out.
mobymutt
I was able to get the numbers off mine by sticking a cell phone down beside it and taking pictures. Mine ended up being aftermarket, so I don't know if the stock distributor would be the same.
troth
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 27 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Does it run OK? If so, why do you care? If not, pull it out.

Ignition is one of a number of my current issues. I am burning through points left and right. They keep closing up on me. Going to try to stick it out for a little while longer with what I got now, but I am trying to decide if I am going to have this one rebuilt or track down a new one. This depends on what I have in the car now.

...Thanks for the cell phone tip. I'll give that another try. Do you remember what side the number is on? Previous owner left me a rats nest of wiring in that area I need to clean up.
mobymutt
Does this help?

Click to view attachment
injunmort
carbs or fi? i would start with new points and condensor. if you are cooking off the points like say. a points set for a 914 is the same for any distributor aplication, same as the condensor. maybe $20.00 on partsgeek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.