The light Is not even on.
StratPlayer
popcorn[1].gif
wndsnd
OK, I am curious..
boxsterfan
Wow that looks great!! blink.gif
iankarr
Whoa! Even Stevie Wonder could see that!
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 29 2016, 02:26 PM) *

The light Is not even on.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bandjoey
So bright it hurts.

So at last the LED's are in?
carr914
shades.gif
PanelBilly
I've see the light!

Never mind, I forgot no religion
sb914
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
OK, File was too big and I didn't catch it. Now its up.
Rleog
(Nice fog light grill)
whitetwinturbo
...........turm them on aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif smoke.gif so to speak
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Well plans didn't completely work out tonight.
Planned to adjust and take fro a drive on the back roads tonight. A fuel pump decided to take the night off. So more tomorrow.
I'm running sylvania silverstars on the incandescent, and Pilot driving lights, so these are relatively bright already, but do show they are notably brighter.

The rear big difference I can see right off (other than they are brighter) is the light is more full spectrum. Closer to daylight.
flat4guy
Are the sylvania silverstars on the incandescent brighter than a "normal" bulb? I wasn't sure if you were talking about the fog lights or the headlights. Thanks.
Mikey914
The Silverstar are brighter that the stock H4 sealed beam units they run $25-35 a unit. (for the main high /low). They are not as dramatic as you see in the write up below. So the claims are a little ....stretched. It does look like there is some legal action in reference to the actual claims of brightness, but they are an improvement (just not the " up to 50% " they are claiming on the Ultra). Mine are the Base silverstar.

There is comparison here -

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/silvers...view-13502.html

The fog lights are also brighter than the stock and offer a nice addition to the main lights to see at night.

An interesting thing to note is the temperature and dewpoint are close together which means fog is coming. It hasn't started to form yet, but it's close. The brighter light is showing that from the side.

The big difference is that the light is more full spectrum (as well as brightness).
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 29 2016, 11:18 PM) *

The big difference is that the light is more full spectrum (as well as brightness).

Since I questioned [harassed] the other seller in fairness I have to do you too poke.gif

I know what these cost and your price is reasonable so that's not a issue smile.gif

These do the same thing for $6 a pair and keep the beam pattern as designed by those whizzes at Hella and Cibie. 80/85w and 4300k. Optional in 80/100w.
eBay listing

Looking forward to beam pics, and to be fair leave the fogs off. Also mention which housings you are using, big difference between DOT and E-code.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 30 2016, 03:21 AM) *

These do the same thing for $6 a pair and keep the beam pattern as designed by those whizzes at Hella and Cibie. 80/85w and 4300k. Optional in 80/100w.
eBay listing

Those are HID, so no. They should have dedicated HID projectors inside housings. And for $6, you can guess how long they'll last.
Rleog
Not being hyper critical here and I realize how difficult it is to capture these differences in photos.

Your 1st photo demonstrates a difference in intensity between left and right but the camera position is offset to the right (passenger) side of the car. This seems to show even the right fog light slightly more intense than the left fog light.

All photos show the LED light spectrum shifted more toward the blue than the incandescent bulb.

Very interested to see more. Thanks.
bandjoey
So what about the LED lights you've been working on and how do they compare to the silverstars?
Rleog
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 30 2016, 11:55 AM) *

So what about the LED lights you've been working on and how do they compare to the silverstars?

Silverstar is on the driver's side; LED headlight on the passenger's side.
Mikey914
These are one of the LEDs that we have got in. Yes pictures make it more difficult to actually show brightness. I figured I'd do a short video so you don't just get a single, (potentially easily manipulated )photograph. Yes you can manipulate video, but for what we are doing here it should suit it's purpose. Now just need to get a fuel pump and swap it out for tonight.

Yes these do have more blue in the spectrum of light emitted, I suppose that's why it looks more like daylight.

These are waterproof, so they are the best we have seen so far. Supposed to be DOT approved, but I'm not seeing the documentation. We have a request in with the manufacturer. I would suspect that on product quality they would pass, but there are other issues. These are significantly more than what the other lower quality ones were selling for. we brought in 3 different types. These were the best in build quality we could find.
bandjoey
So at this point the Silverstar is a favorite over the led? and in the movie no fog's please.

Chris H.
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 30 2016, 06:05 AM) *

eBay listing

Those are HID, so no. They should have dedicated HID projectors inside housings. And for $6, you can guess how long they'll last.

Yeah I learned my lesson with electronics. Not putting anything in my car with that much Chinese writing on it. If (WHEN) it breaks it's not worth returning. That's the gimmick.

Nice progress Mike! Andy is going to get after you for having your passenger turn signal lens installed upside down poke.gif biggrin.gif !
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 30 2016, 04:05 AM) *

eBay listing

Wow biased much? Also you are a poor reader. These are H4 80/85w halogen bulbs. HID is part of the marketing hype because of the color tint.

Also Option is a JAPANESE brand. Though it is made in China and the price is consistent for Chinese halogen bulbs.

I have a pair of HID H4 bulbs and in E-code housings that are awesome. In DOT housings they glare too much, plus the pattern is inferior.

The 914 is not my daily car, so if Mark & Matt found an LED bulb that is equal/better I'd like to know about it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 30 2016, 11:53 AM) *

So at this point the Silverstar is a favorite over the led? and in the movie no fog's please.

Silverstar is my preferred sealed beam incandescent.
krazykonrad
Dammit Mikey914.....
Mikey914
Sorry my show tomorrow is 4 am . Got to get some sleep. I did get some new housings to check out too.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 30 2016, 05:05 AM) *

eBay listing

No those are Chinese want-to-be HID. They say halogen on the box and HID and Xenon. They are basically a halogen withe a pearlescent coating on the glass. Basically junk.
Mikey914
These are LED. Phillips chips which are supposed to be the best.
You guys think I'm tying to rip you off????
Come on, you know me. I stand behind what I sell and wouldn't sell it if I wouldn't use it.
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
SO tried to get more of the Bosch H4 units. Found they don't make them anymore. Then ordered the Hella version and found this
Mikey914
I did find a unit at less than 1/2 the cost. Still glass (no plastic). May be the best bang for the buck, but will probably stock both.
rothaus
I did also some comparison last Fall.

Here is the thread at Pelican Testing Some LED Headlights
pbanders
QUOTE(rothaus @ Dec 1 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Is there an Amazon equivalent of the #4 light? Thanks...
Steve
I've been running the GE nighthawks for over a year. They work great. All my other lights are also LED. Either from spoke or Walmart
bandjoey
Is it just me as a slow learner or

between all the world threads and the pelican threads, I'm still confused confused24.gif

It's like each new discovery is the best in the west.

I have a set of Hella E lens and german H4 bulbs sitting on the table because these were so super duper about 6 months ago and don't want to take them out of the box while waiting on all of the comparisons settle out.

The photos on all of the threads against the garage wall are not showing me driving condition lighting.

What I really want to see is a behind the wheel picture of the differences. I was waiting on the 914Rubber LED bulb from a prior thread to arrive and now this comes out.

headbang.gif

rothaus
QUOTE(pbanders @ Dec 1 2016, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(rothaus @ Dec 1 2016, 07:25 AM) *

Is there an Amazon equivalent of the #4 light? Thanks...

I tested an other LED which looks the same, and is cheaper, but there is a big difference in the output.

Some pictures not against the garage door, but down the driveway.

Here is a picture with Hella H4 55/60 Watt
IPB Image

Here the LED #4 installed
IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert
Mikey914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 1 2016, 09:32 AM) *

Is it just me as a slow learner or

between all the world threads and the pelican threads, I'm still confused confused24.gif

It's like each new discovery is the best in the west.

I have a set of Hella E lens and german H4 bulbs sitting on the table because these were so super duper about 6 months ago and don't want to take them out of the box while waiting on all of the comparisons settle out.

The photos on all of the threads against the garage wall are not showing me driving condition lighting.

What I really want to see is a behind the wheel picture of the differences. I was waiting on the 914Rubber LED bulb from a prior thread to arrive and now this comes out.

headbang.gif

Nothing wrong with the Hella units you have. You can use the H4 bulb that came with it, or if we like the results of the test on these you can simply Put these in in place of the bulb.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 1 2016, 03:51 AM) *

These are LED. Phillips chips which are supposed to be the best.

For the next few months laugh.gif LEDs are like the cell phone market. It will likely switch to CREE or COB again in future generations. Philips brand tail/turn/park/side lamps are the hot ticket right now too but you pay for it.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 1 2016, 05:24 AM) *

SO tried to get more of the Bosch H4 units. Found they don't make them anymore. Then ordered the Hella version and found this

Made in India? The Chinese do a better job of copying and spelling huh.gif

QUOTE(rothaus @ Dec 1 2016, 06:25 AM) *

Posted in Nov, already outdated poke.gif Those are S5 style retrofit bulbs, S7 are hitting the market now. VintageCarLeds posted S6 style which seem to be pretty good via reviews from other sources poke.gif but average only $75 on eBay sheeplove.gif

This is a tough market to be in for a retailer.
bandjoey
Ok I just bought a set of the LED bulbs from Mikey to go into my Hella E lens. I'll post city and driving pictures after getting them in. In his original post they were impressive and I think they'll be just what I want.

Mikey914
Thanks,
I think you will like them. You will notice these are not cheapo crap. The build quality is good.
RickS
No issues with H4s with 80/110s with relays. No sexy white or blue but Daniel Stern's site prefers the yellow incandescent hue in all conditions. Must be just an old dude.
914bub
Can't find the LED's on the site. confused24.gif
Chris914n6
Since Mark's off herding cats or something here is a good video on beam patterns poke.gif

Lighting differences, Halogen, LED, HID
rothaus
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 4 2016, 04:06 PM) *

Since Mark's off herding cats or something here is a good video on beam patterns poke.gif

Lighting differences, Halogen, LED, HID

Thanks for the link. This is a great video to show the difference. Not sure what halogen housing he used with the LED bulb, that had glare all over.

When I did the testing, the LED bulb actually had not that glare, however, the light was very narrow.

I'm sure these LED bulbs have improved since then.

Here are the LED bulbs in the Hella H4 housings
IPB Image

Here is the 7" sealed LED
IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert

914bub
QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 2 2016, 11:56 PM) *

............ confused24.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 5 2016, 05:27 PM) *

QUOTE(914bub @ Dec 2 2016, 11:56 PM) *

............ confused24.gif

Erik
Mark is out of town for the week. We do not have these up on the site yet as we still want to have some in the field being tested on cars before going all in. We do have a few the sell for people that want to help with this. If your interested PM me and I will get you set up.
Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.