Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Racing 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dion
Received my copy yesterday. Just glancing through it, unbelievable
information. Very cool addition to add to 914 library.
Grab a copy!

Cheers, Dion
siverson
I just got mine too and thought I would be first...
flmont
where did U guys get it from,..?? TIA Frank
pete000
Mine should be here Friday !
Dion
QUOTE(flmont @ Nov 29 2016, 08:38 PM) *

where did U guys get it from,..?? TIA Frank

Pre ordered it back in Feb. via Amazon.

Cheers,Dion
maf914
I received a delivery notice from Amazon with an estimated date of 1-3 Dec 2016. idea.gif

The link for this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Racing-914s-...ords=racing+914
krazykonrad
That is insanely awesome! beerchug.gif

Konrad
jkb944t
I just ordered my copy and I it should be here 12/7!

Jeff B
Kansas 914
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Nov 30 2016, 06:51 PM) *

Jeff B

Mine arrived today - it is limited to 1500 copies.....
SKL1
Didn't know about that but thanks to my wife's prime membership it is now on its way!
Some of the pix in the preview section bring back memories from the late 60's and early '70's for sure! Drove an european version from Minneapolis to IA to open the new Porsche/Audi dealership in Cedar Rapids, IA... had the VW covered up on the rear emblem! Still had the Wolfsburg steering wheel though. They needed a volunteer to bring it down from IA- not hard to talk a college kid into that!!
Coondog
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Nov 30 2016, 05:51 PM) *

Jeff B

Ditto....... driving.gif
ChristopherB
Love it! Makes me want to drive the car...hard!
Bernie B
Well, hate to be a killjoy but several glaring errors upon skimming the book makes it rather disappointing to me. Specifically Pg. 60 shows a pair of SWB A-Arms and describes them as "New stronger front lower wishbones..." Same page depicts a stock 911 T piston described as "Domed piston and ..." On page 57 " On racing versions the handbrake consisted of a small simple lever placed between the seats , which activated the brakes by hydraulics" It depicts a master electrical switch. Errors like this really detract from the books credibility and is certainly not on par with outstanding books like "Carrera 2.7" by Ryan Snodgrass. However the historical photos are a bonus and probably make the book worth buying, beyond that it's questionable resource at best. Porsche - The Racing 914's - deserves a redo
914-300Hemi
Just ordered mine. Now just just 6 left.
speed metal army
Ordered! 2 left.... aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
SixerJ
Mine arrived on Friday, but I have to wait until Christmas to open it santa_smiley.gif
SKL1
Mine is supposed to arrive in a couple days. I'm sure there are some mistakes in there, but even the historical pictures (which will bring back many good memories) will make it worth it!
Michael N
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Dec 4 2016, 08:07 AM) *

Mine arrived on Friday, but I have to wait until Christmas to open it santa_smiley.gif

I am feeling your pain as well. dry.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Amazon is showing six left, but I just ordered one, so it might be down to 5.
DRPHIL914
down to 4, but seems to be available thru other sellers for less.....
maf914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Dec 5 2016, 08:44 AM) *

down to 4, but seems to be available thru other sellers for less.....

There are book search sites which search for books and indicate prices and dealers. One I use is Direct Textbook.com. It is useful for both new and used books and old out of print books, if you are into that. Here is a link with a search for this book.

http://www.directtextbook.com/isbn/9781845848590?&si=y
JmuRiz
Ordered one too, should be a fun resource to get ideas for me car biggrin.gif
motorvated
I don't have the book, and I'd like to ask those of you who have it if you have seen any pictures of Chalon-bodied 914s racing anywhere back in the day. My 1972 Chalon-bodied 914 isn't an eligible car for Rocky MountIn Vintage Racing club unless I can prove that ia Chalon-bodied 914 raced in a production class somewhere at some time with some club. Anything mentioned in this book? Thanks going out to those who look.
QUOTE(motorvated @ Dec 5 2016, 04:30 PM) *

I don't have the book, and I'd like to ask those of you who have it if you have seen any pictures of Chalon-bodied 914s racing anywhere back in the day. My 1972 Chalon-bodied 914 isn't an eligible car for Rocky MountIn Vintage Racing club unless I can prove that ia Chalon-bodied 914 raced in a production class somewhere at some time with some club. Anything mentioned in this book? Thanks going out to those who look.

Randy Beck , son of "Beck" the builder of duplicate 904 used to run a Chalon 914 - 6 in the 80's in POC. To my knowledge, he ran it in V3 class, I remember seeing him tear up the track with it. Good luck with your search.
Dion
QUOTE(motorvated @ Dec 5 2016, 04:30 PM) *

Did not see any "Chalon" 914s. Closest body style is this blue-green one.
The other USA racing 914 are sporting wide body "IMSA" type kits. Others racing factory
body type or cut down windscreens.
gms
QUOTE(motorvated @ Dec 5 2016, 06:30 PM) *

There were no Chalon bodied 914s professionally raced (IMSA, FIA or Trans-Am) in North America.
Catorse
Ordered the book early, as in a few days ago. Today they email me cancelling my order and telling me it's out of stock. Frigging douches!
SKL1
Just got mine last night- haven't started to read it yet, have a book on the history of Penske Racing to get thru first...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Catorse @ Dec 6 2016, 08:13 PM) *

Ordered the book early, as in a few days ago. Today they email me cancelling my order and telling me it's out of stock. Frigging douches!

I got that, too. So I re-ordered; hopefully it will go through...

--DD
GeorgeRud
I also reordered after getting the order cancellation email from Amazon. I tried to order it from an outlet that had it listed for $77 or so, but it seems they are out of the picture.
Steve
$120.00 with shipping. Is it worth it?
maf914
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 8 2016, 06:57 AM) *

$120.00 with shipping. Is it worth it?

I think $120 was the original list price. It can be found for less.

http://www.directtextbook.com/isbn/9781845848590?&si=y

Amazon lists it for around $90.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Racing-914s-...ords=racing+914
Steve
That's why I posted $120 with shipping. I was basing that on the $90.00 Amazon price.

Is it worth that much?
Catorse
Reordered, then got a shipping confirmation!!
Dion
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 8 2016, 01:58 PM) *

That's why I posted $120 with shipping. I was basing that on the $90.00 Amazon price.

Is it worth that much?

It's worth it if you like historical and period pics. I do.
Some pics can be seen on the net. I like it in book form.
Some old and new info. Yes a few errors. The author acknowledged that.
I think it's pretty cool.
Do what you like and your budget allows.
Cheers, Dion
URY914
In 5 years it will be worth $15.00.
Steve
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 9 2016, 03:45 PM) *

In 5 years it will be worth $15.00.

happy11.gif I'll wait!!
sofi2t81
Ordered my today from Amazon Germany.

Regarding the 5 years you may be right but in ten...?

Try to find :"Das große VW Potsche Buch" from Heel.
I bought it new in 89 for 79 Deutsche Mark ($40 ). Saw one selling on the retro classic last year for $250. And you could see that it was used a lot. smash.gif

Nice Christmas present to myself... santa_smiley.gif

Peter
maf914
I received my copy from Amazon, preordered in February. If Amazon is out of stock you may want to consider Book Depository. I have purchased books from them in the past and always had good service with shipping included in the price. No affiliation, just a suggestion. smile.gif

http://www.bookdepository.com/Porsche---Th...0?ref=grid-view
Cal
Here's a 16 minute video that interviews the author Roy Smith with him describing the book......it's worth watching.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBhImX6EIM
Mike Fitton
On Ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Book-Porsche-The-R...=p2056016.l4276
Steve
Thanks!! I placed an order. I will respond back if there is any problems with the order.
Unobtanium-inc
I got mine, so far it's really enjoyable.
jkb944t
I got mine yesterday and it looks very interesting. Now I just have to find time to read it!

Jeff B
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(jkb944t @ Dec 15 2016, 05:20 PM) *

I got mine yesterday and it looks very interesting. Now I just have to find time to read it!

Jeff B

Put it in the bathroom, that's what I do with my Registry magazines, considering you have 2-3 months until you get a new one, you can read it cover to cover.
JmuRiz
I ordered one from allnewbooks but never got a confirmation or CC charge. I guess I'll try again and order via Amazon proper and see if it goes through.
ConeDodger
I got a shipping confirmation with a delivery date! biggrin.gif
Steve
Just received mine yesterday. Awesome book worth the price
Dave_Darling
I got the book (ordered through Amazon), but didn't have a chance to read it. I'll be digging into it in the new year...

--DD
BillC
I received the book for Christmas from my wonderful (and incredibly tolerant) wife. Just skimmed it a bit, but it looks like an excellent book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.