Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Synthetic or Regular Blinker Fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
boxsterfan
Here's the poll question of the day.
Frankvw
I think the Porsche engineers knew what they were doing, so I stick with the regular fluid in my 914-4 blinkers. Maybe the LS or Suby swappers can use that synthetic stuff in their blinkers.Have a nice weekend!
Phoenix-MN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GsXhBb10k

lol-2.gif
StratPlayer
I ran out of blinker fluid years ago. confused24.gif lol-2.gif
KELTY360
My blinkers are air cooled. shades.gif
eyesright
QUOTE(Frankvw @ Dec 2 2016, 01:45 PM) *

I think the Porsche engineers knew what they were doing, so I stick with the regular fluid in my 914-4 blinkers. Maybe the LS or Suby swappers can use that synthetic stuff in their blinkers.Have a nice weekend!

I think its the synthetic stuff that turns your amber lenses to white. Most people wish someone had mentioned this before they bought the more expensive stuff.
mramber
Do you have to hook the blinker fluid reservoir up to the spare tire to get pressure? av-943.gif
tygaboy

I think its the synthetic stuff that turns your amber lenses to white. Most people wish someone had mentioned this before they bought the more expensive stuff.

It does, but it actually makes them go clear. I carefully fill my blinkers with a mix, allowing the synthetic to help create my euro front lenses. It creates that nice, straight separation between the clear and amber sections.
Gunn1
Olive oil is the way to go. The vegetable oil some use is high in trans fats and will clog the blinkers arteries. the olive oil promotes smooth blinking. Not only that, it works well after its warmed up on any stray pieces of focaccia bread you may have laying around. chowtime.gif
mobymutt
My regular blinker fluid kept freezing up, even in the summer (I'm in Canada), so I switched to the synthetic. Haven't had a problem since.
Krieger
Clean your friggen windshield before you drive or when you stop so you don't scratch it up!
stugray
I have heard that you should use the silicone based fluid if you switch to LEDs.

It matches the permeability of free space better for the LED light while still in the blinker cavity and makes it like a laser.
snakemain
Need to make sure your blinker fluid has enough Halogen additive. Those new LED additives will just make your headlight seals leak.
Mikey914
signals are only to be used to confuse the enemy! evilgrin.gif
infraredcalvin
Is this a product we can expect soon from 914rubber? The stuff I get from URO is piss poor quality....
914_teener
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 2 2016, 06:40 PM) *

Is this a product we can expect soon from 914rubber? The stuff I get from URO is piss poor quality....

I always thought it was sealed beam fluid. confused24.gif
boxsterfan
Well, based upon the poll results being a virtual tie, this topic will still rage on for years to come. santa_smiley.gif
Cuda911
Guess I'm not much of a gearhead... no idea what blinkers are or what they might be used for. Don't think my car came with them.
ChrisFoley
I only use the water soluble stuff.
GeorgeRud
Just not the same since the DOT banned the importation of blue blinker fluid.
dflesburg
my blinkers are operated mechanically with wire and switches. none of that hydraulic crap back in the day... even my parking brake, throttle and clutch are cables.
shift rod is not cables.

its all very confusing I know, but its okay.
Porschef
Really? This is why my blinkers don't work? I had no idea. confused24.gif

Where's the friggin' dipstick?
toolguy
If your blinkers blink too fast use a heavier weight of blinker fluid
Front yard mechanic
Don't spill that stuff on your paint it turns to rust!
sb914
I replaced my muffler bearing, now my blinkers work fine.
mbseto
My blinker fluid is fine, it's everyone else's...
amfab
Because of the impact on the California Brown Pelican—see below—as of 2015, it is illegal to manufacture traditional oil based blinker fluids (TOBBF) in California. California is now a Synthetic Blinker Fluid Only state (SBFOS). Currently it is only illegal to manufacture TOBBFs, but use and sale of TOBBFs is permitted until 2025. This is when it will be illegal to even have TOBBFs in your car. The reason for the delay is to allow California time to set up the infrastructure needed to inspect cars for proper blinker fluid. The State is considering legislation to raise the state sales tax to 12% in order to pay for the estimated 763 blinker fluid test stations that will be needed.

The problem with Synthetic Based Blinker Fluids (SBBF) is that the gaskets for bulbs and lense covers manufactured prior to 1977 will degrade rapidly when using SBBFs. Replacement modern gaskets are expensive, so for now, many of us are still using TOBBFs. It is available in some auto parts stores, but because of limited availability TOBBFs run 10 to 15 times the price of SBBFs and it is expected to go even higher. A black market has sprung up and many have driven to Las Vegas or Phoenix just to have fluid topped up. California bill AB2453BF creates additional funding for border agricultural check stations to increase staffing to inspect for those brazen enough to try to sneak some hidden fluid in their vehicles.

Those of you in the rest of the country should be thankful your state is not a SBFOS. Eventually it will come to all. Politicians have introduced Federal legislation regarding prohibition of TOBBFs, but “S OP T E BL NK NG”, an anti-TOBBF advocacy group sees the election of Donald Trump as a signal—although an intermittent one—to the Blinker Fluid Industry as a green light to continue manufacturing TOBBFs for years to come.

The impact on Pelicans: Leaking blinker fluid on roadways washes into storm drains and makes its way to sea. Pelicans and whales, having the largest eyelids of most mammals in coastal regions are more susceptible to excessive blinking than other animals. Whales are relatively unaffected because of their slow speeds. Excessive blinking raises the incidence of mid-air collisions among Pelicans’ to unsustainable levels. See attached photo.

I must say that it is dismaying to see that people are selling used TOBBF online in classified forums without regard to these majestic birds. It is especially egregious and ironic that it is not banned on one particular site that I will not name here.

-Andrew
stugray
IPB Image

Maybe if that online website would quit dismantling the pelicans and selling their parts there might be more of those left in the wild.
Chris H.
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 3 2016, 05:40 PM) *

Just not the same since the DOT banned the importation of blue blinker fluid.

No worries George, I just bought the last bottle of OEM 914 blue blinker fluid in existence. Stored in a vault since 1970 at the perfect temperature in an air-tight container. Got it off the internet so it has to be true. Think I have enough left for your yellow car. Doubt the signals would even work with that newfangled stuff in it!
ottox914
I trust the genius of the OEM designers. None of that new-fangled stuff in my car.
mlindner
I use water, but it does leak at all four corners. Need new blinker seals....Best, Mark
mankowski
I think this is the best stuff to use, but I am unsure if it is sillycone or not. Anyone else know?

Click to view attachment
RickS
Tried the synthetic stuff and the increased lubrication made my blinkers go into hyper-blink, like a bad relay. They also developed a slow leak due to their long molecular chains. Switched back to dino and Topped off with Marvel Mystery Oil and I am good for another 5K miles. Also did the filter change.

Why in the hell is no one talking about their filters?
eyesright
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

My regular blinker fluid kept freezing up, even in the summer (I'm in Canada), so I switched to the synthetic. Haven't had a problem since.

I would normally reply that adding alcohol to the cheaper, regular blinker fluid will will prevent freezing - I use water and alcohol in my 914 radiator, cheaper than antifreeze - and you don't have to go to the more expensive stuff. But I read on the internet that the regular stuff will be priced out of reach due to new California regs,...something about pelicans and whales and I bet they throw snail darters and even snipes in there too so maybe you are on top of things afterall. Got any snow yet?
mobymutt
QUOTE(eyesright @ Dec 5 2016, 07:58 AM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Dec 2 2016, 05:01 PM) *

I would normally reply that adding alcohol to the cheaper, regular blinker fluid will will prevent freezing - I use water and alcohol in my 914 radiator, cheaper than antifreeze - and you don't have to go to the more expensive stuff. But I read on the internet that the regular stuff will be priced out of reach due to new California regs,...something about pelicans and whales and I bet they throw snail darters and even snipes in there too so maybe you are on top of things afterall. Got any snow yet?

2 or 3 inches last night! Blinker fluid is actually less critical in the winter, since nobody can see the blinkers under the snow anyway.
Frankvw
"Why in the hell is no one talking about their filters?"
well...that is because it depends if you have the late or the early blinkers AND do not forget that we in Europe (known to you as ROW seen from USA side) never had the blinkerfilters except in Italy because of that driving light law.
i have an usa import 914 here in Holland and it is really hard to find the filters here. I heared it was easy to make them using that fishtank stuff they also use to refill the charcoal filter, but i am not sure....
TX914
Anyone know if it’s ok to use multi-weight fluid? I check the owner’s manual but it really doesn’t say.
As for the synthetic stuff, I’m afraid if I switch to synthetic my blinkers will develop leaks!
falcor75
Did you know the earliest uses of what later became blinker fluid was to stabilize the flames in lanterns used on horsedrawn carriages in London in the 1830's...

tooth.gif
Beach914
I've heard that the new synthetics don't have enough ZDDP (zinc) to prevent premature wear of the blinkers. I'm using a racing dinosaur version with the straight 50W weight.
I don't want to risk wearing out my blinkers. I have been researching some new fluids with the ZDTP additive that reacts faster and allows your blinkers to blink faster.

More updates on this in the future as I research it further.
914dave
I don't know why this subject keeps coming up? Search is your friend! Btw. Synthetic is the only way to go.
jbyron
While I understand the concern about synthetic blinker fluid being susceptible to leaks, that concern is entirely overblown. What's often overlooked, however, is how synthetic blinker fluid is *less* susceptible to redshift when approaching the speed of light, which, of course, renders the blinker inoperative.
boxsterfan
Is there any of the NOS blinker fluid left for the /6's? If not, is 914rubber making a replacement?
amfab
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 5 2016, 11:03 AM) *

Is there any of the NOS blinker fluid left for the /6's? If not, is 914rubber making a replacement?

I think the part # is the same for 70–72 /4s
I am awaiting the launch of Marks new 914fluid.com
stinkindiesel
Swepco only around here. Nothing else comes close.

Gary
Mitox
It's impossible to find Swepco fluid; I settled for Mobile full synthetic blinker fluid for high mileage cars.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Dec 2 2016, 02:48 PM) *

The barcode on his bottle is 8 6 7 5 3 0 9 laugh.gif
JustinMeier
This is what I run..

https://www.amazon.com/Kendall-1057267-Perf...R9BWSC2GS8B8TP1
Ogchopsticks
C'mon guys, everyone knows to use synthetic blinker fluid! Regular blinker fluid leaves deposits in your housing that can cause decreased visibility and bulb life. confused24.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(Ogchopsticks @ Dec 6 2016, 08:00 AM) *

C'mon guys, everyone knows to use synthetic blinker fluid! Regular blinker fluid leaves deposits in your housing that can cause decreased visibility and bulb life. confused24.gif

And the color output with dino blinker fluid is too yellow to pass CA inspections! happy11.gif
RickS
I don't know about you girls, but I am upgrading to braided lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.