Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Paint for Roof?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
If I were to spray paint the outside of the roof panel, anyone have experience with what brand and "shade" of black (satin, gloss, flat etc.) might most match the original look, or any other comments on this process?
Txbentleyboy
I'd like to know that too.
StratPlayer
I didn't use paint,,, I use Forever Black
There is a thread on here about that.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 8 2016, 09:15 AM) *

I didn't use paint,,, I use Forever Black
There is a thread on here about that.

What kind of product is that, couldn't find it on google? Where do you get it?
ericoneal
I plasti-dipped mine. Turned out ok.
iankarr
Search is your friend wink.gif.

http://m.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=298337

The site search isn't as fast as just googling "914world" and whatever you're looking to find.
Eric_Shea
McMark here does the finest roof restorations I've ever seen. Basically spot on perfect.

If you just want to re-spray yours, use a semi-gloss "automotive" paint vs. rattle-can. That said, most automotive paint stores will mix you what you want in a 2K can with hardener built in. You turn the key at the bottom of the can and it releases the hardener into the paint. You basically have 24 hours to use it. They cost around $15.00 - $20.00 but well worth it. You can show them the sheen you want and they can customize the glossing agent as well.
porschetub
Got a spare roof with my car was thinking I might paint it body colour for something different.
Anyone got any pics with this done?
Tom_T
Curtis,

Most folks refinish the tops too shiny for the original look, & i disagree with semi-gloss as the correct finish.

If you want to keep it the original factory look, then semi-gloss is too shiny, but satin or semi-flat is close to original. If you're just top coating the original pebble finish, then prep it well & shoot a good quality satin/semi-flat.

However, if it has damage/peeling to repair or requiring stripping, or you want to strip to the bare fiberglass, then you'll need to recreate the texture with Wurth Underbody Schutz, & they make a Satin & Flat/Semi-Flat black paint as well (TCGarage.com in San Marcos carries Wurth products).

There are some topics in the O&H Forum on how to get the original texure & finish, & the one by Pat Garvey is one of the best, but you'll have to google for it (I've lost my bookmark), here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=44

BTW - the F & R valances & L & R Rockers are the same finsih, so you could do them all with the roof panel at the same time.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Frankvw
"Got a spare roof with my car was thinking I might paint it body colour for something different. Anyone got any pics with this done?"

Here a pic of mine with the roof painted same color as the car
Click to view attachment
Localboy808
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Dec 8 2016, 09:31 AM) *

If I were to spray paint the outside of the roof panel, anyone have experience with what brand and "shade" of black (satin, gloss, flat etc.) might most match the original look, or any other comments on this process?

Click to view attachment
I did this with Wrinkle paint by VHT that you can get at Auto Zone. I like the way it came out. Looks pretty close to the original texture. And was affordable.
PlantMan
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Dec 8 2016, 09:59 AM) *

I used to use a similar product by Turtle Wax 20+ years ago that was excellent on the top. Even if you have a few minor imperfections it would hide them and give you a great black finish. It was like shoe polish with a UV protectant. Apply and hit it with a shoe brush after and it would clean-up nicely. I would like to try this out on mine and see how it goes. Appears to be similar to the Turtle Wax stuff which was for 'soft tops'.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 8 2016, 10:19 AM) *

McMark here does the finest roof restorations I've ever seen. Basically spot on perfect.

If you just want to re-spray yours, use a semi-gloss "automotive" paint vs. rattle-can. That said, most automotive paint stores will mix you what you want in a 2K can with hardener built in. You turn the key at the bottom of the can and it releases the hardener into the paint. You basically have 24 hours to use it. They cost around $15.00 - $20.00 but well worth it. You can show them the sheen you want and they can customize the glossing agent as well.

Eric, after it's mixed, you apply it with a brush or roller??
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 8 2016, 11:01 AM) *

Curtis,

Most folks refinish the tops too shiny for the original look, & i disagree with semi-gloss as the correct finish.

If you want to keep it the original factory look, then semi-gloss is too shiny, but satin or semi-flat is close to original. If you're just top coating the original pebble finish, then prep it well & shoot a good quality satin/semi-flat.

However, if it has damage/peeling to repair or requiring stripping, or you want to strip to the bare fiberglass, then you'll need to recreate the texture with Wurth Underbody Schutz, & they make a Satin & Flat/Semi-Flat black paint as well (TCGarage.com in San Marcos carries Wurth products).

There are some topics in the O&H Forum on how to get the original texure & finish, & the one by Pat Garvey is one of the best, but you'll have to google for it (I've lost my bookmark), here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=44

BTW - the F & R valances & L & R Rockers are the same finsih, so you could do them all with the roof panel at the same time.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom, roof is in pretty good shape, only want to paint it. Appreciate your advice, as usual!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.