Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust on prospective purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Will Hesch
Hi, I'm a newbie but a knowledgeable car nut. I'm looking at a '73 2.0 in the Great Lakes area. The seller claims it's "rust free" but the battery tray is very rusty and the pan/underside shows rust as well.

In particular, there are two areas on either side of the trans/motor mount that concerns me, I've circled the two (apparent?) holes in the second photo. I don't know if those are factory or rust installed, maybe you guys could help me?

Thank you in advance!

Will in California 805-550-7865
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
Need to get a look behind the ECU there in the engine bay to see the hell hole aea under the battery tray. Also, #1 thing to see is underneath the rocker panels on both sides. Need to take the rocker panels off to see them in their full glory (or not so glory).

jmitro
those holes are stamped as part of the factory lift points, so no problem

Battery tray is relatively clean, not too bad really.

The car looks pretty good in the two photos that you have shown.
Will Hesch
QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 12 2016, 03:15 PM) *

those holes are stamped as part of the factory lift points, so no problem

Battery tray is relatively clean, not too bad really.

The car looks pretty good in the two photos that you have shown.

Jmitro, thanks, I agree that in comparison to many 914 battery trays, this one's not completely toast but it's a far cry from "rust free" as advertised.

Boxter, I'm in Cali so I can't pull the rocker covers. I'm waiting on photos of the Hell-hole, told the seller he needs to pull the hoses out of the way so I can see it.

From the top-side, the car looks immaculate but it's a long trip from California and I really don't want surprises.

Will
Ferg
Personally I would not make the trip until I saw clear pics of under the rocker panels. Seller should be able to accommodate it's not hard.
rhodyguy
see if you can find a knowledgeable member that's local to the car have a close look at it. even if you pay them for their time it's the best money you'll spend. it might save you thousands and years.
porschetub

That's not rusty trust me but do check under the battery tray ,that's the important area.
Hard to tell from the other pic,try to add one a bit closer ,nice oil free engine go ok?
boxsterfan
I second the "find a local 914World" member to check it out for you. The other thing about pictures is that less-then-scrupulous sellers will send you pictures....but from 10-15 years ago. Ask me how I know....I once thought I owned a fabulous "no rust" 1970 Adriatic Blue 1.7L until I received the car and the seller was nowhere to be found.
rhodyguy
Agreed the floor looks nice. How cheaply can you fly to the car? Part of the investment.
JimN73
How much of a project are you looking for? And how much trust will you give the current owner?

There are usually lots of California/west coast cars needing some, a little or a lot of work. And you can fly the whole coast in a morning and get a firsthand look.
jmill
Where in the Great Lakes area? It's a big lake that covers several states. I'm in Racine WI, just south of Milwaukee and 45 min North of Chicago. If close I'll look at it for you.

I bought a car from AZ and shipped it. Most out here are toast.
72914wrx
Why don't you buy a car from California where are cars are slow to rust . Best advise find a car with no rust because it can get expensive quick !
Will Hesch
The car's in Menasha, Wisconson, if any of you are near there, I would gladly pay you to check the car for me.

You can call me anytime at 805-550-7865 or e-mail me at will@centralcoastbassfishing.com

Thanks, Will
jmill
That battery tray concerns me. Where's the hole and the dropped floor in the center?The hell hole really needs to be looked at. Can he pop off the passenger rocker and snap a picture of the long around the jack point?

dlee6204
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 13 2016, 01:50 PM) *

That battery tray concerns me. Where's the hole and the dropped floor in the center?The hell hole really needs to be looked at. Can he pop off the passenger rocker and snap a picture of the long around the jack point?

agree.gif Yeah, the battery tray has been messed with/repaired.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 13 2016, 10:50 AM) *
That battery tray concerns me. Where's the hole and the dropped floor in the center?

The tray was probably replaced/patched when the car was repainted ...
shades.gif
orthobiz
This was my guaranteed rust free car.

Paul
orthobiz
All better now! California car, by the way.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.