Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a 914-6 clone steering column
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Bruce stone sold me a 914 column that I have cut up. I found a 911 column in my stash but I don't know what year it is. Does this matter? Based on photos it appears that length might be the only difference. Mine is just over 8.5 inches long

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
May have more issues with the outer "clamshell" parts as I think those are 914-6 specific.
Harpo
supposedly a 911 clam shell can be trimmed down to fit and simulate a 914-6 clam shell;

Here is Clay's post
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...steering+column
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 17 2016, 02:26 PM) *

supposedly a 911 clam shell can be trimmed down to fit and simulate a 914-6 clam shell;

Here is Clay's post
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...steering+column

I haven't trimmed one down but it seems it would be a simple (maybe not too cheap)
way to go
McMark
Mark Whitesell @ 914Rubber is making the clamshells.

That steering column will work. There are a few tutorials out there.
I've been wanting to make conversion columns as well. I just need to draw up some mounting plates to be welded onto the 911 column.
sixnotfour
I haven't trimmed one down but it seems it would be a simple (maybe not too cheap)
way to go

upper shroud will have an open void, The bottom shroud needs a flange trimed and has 2 holes, visible.. the best way is to buy a complete 70-73 column....modify and buy the eye brows for the dash trim.. Look at the way Andy;s is mounted , the 911 stuff looks right.....
lets Not Forget the wiring...the real genius would make a jumper plugin wiring 4 to 6
Harpo
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 18 2016, 02:41 PM) *

way to go

upper shroud will have an open void, The bottom shroud needs a flange trimed and has 2 holes, visible.. the best way is to buy a complete 70-73 column....modify and buy the eye brows for the dash trim.. Look at the way Andy;s is mounted , the 911 stuff looks right.....
lets Not Forget the wiring...the real genius would make a jumper plugin wiring 4 to 6
;

Good point, I'm electrically challenged so a plug & play jumper harness would be great. Hint hint

DAvid
mb911
I would really like to see a kit put together..

Funny thing about this thread is it got me thinking of a late 912 that is buried on my mother laws property that has all kinds of these parts on it..

I may have my brother in law dig it up as he buried it 15 years ago for the fun of it and I completely forgot about it.

Wonder if any of it is any good.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 22 2016, 05:17 PM) *

Funny thing about this thread is it got me thinking of a late 912 that is buried on my mother laws property that has all kinds of these parts on it..

I may have my brother in law dig it up as he buried it 15 years ago for the fun of it and I completely forgot about it.

Who are you. blink.gif

biggrin.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2016, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 22 2016, 05:17 PM) *

Who are you. blink.gif

Lol

I had the car at mother in laws easy back and got a 912 for free and took some parts off it and my brother in law decided to pile dirt on top of it then I started having kids and forgot about it.. Until now..

Steve
Wow!! That is sacrilege!! There should be a law against that. But if there were, we would all be arrested for trashing our cars!!
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 22 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Wow!! That is sacrilege!! There should be a law against that. But if there were, we would all be arrested for trashing our cars!!

I should have mentioned that the car was scrap and basically a tub that was rusted and no engine trans etc.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2016, 08:12 AM) *

I should have mentioned that the car was scrap and basically a tub that was rusted and no engine trans etc.

Luckily we aren't the 912.org site. You can't just put that back in the box and walk away. LOL av-943.gif
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 23 2016, 06:17 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 23 2016, 08:12 AM) *

Luckily we aren't the 912.org site. You can't just put that back in the box and walk away. LOL av-943.gif

Fair enough. Seriously thinking about digging it out in spring and see what is left..
ClayPerrine
Here is the one I made in 2002 for my car. It is still in there and working fine.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I cut the mount off a 4 cylinder column, and welded it to a 911 column. I had to trim the front edges of the clamshell to get them to fit, and I have to remove the clamshells to get the tach out of the dash.

I also trimmed the 911 key bezel down to fit in the 914.

Harpo
Here is what I have so far

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Harpo @ Dec 27 2016, 10:13 AM) *

Here is what I have so far

Click to view attachment

Looks like the way I did it. But I put a small overhang on the u-joint end. I should have moved the mount plate back to the edge like you did.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 26 2016, 07:58 PM) *

[I also trimmed the 911 key bezel down to fit in the 914.

How did you trim the bezel ? I need to do that..... smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 27 2016, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 26 2016, 07:58 PM) *

[I also trimmed the 911 key bezel down to fit in the 914.

How did you trim the bezel ? I need to do that..... smile.gif

1. Made a fixture for my drill press to hold the bezel. A couple of washers that would fit inside and an 8MM bolt.
2. Used tin snips to cut down the bezel close to where I wanted it.
3. Mounted the cut down bezel in the drilll press.
4. Spun it round and round while using progressively finer files.
5. Finished it off with a progression of finer and finer sandpaper.

That's about it. Simple, no need to get fancy.
jim_hoyland
Thank you; great way to do the job....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.