Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914/6 with 25K Miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gcrotvik
http://autokennel.com/1970-porsche-914-6-2/

VIN tags look all wrong. No pictures of the VIN in the front trunk. Porsche/Karmann never stamped their numbers that straight. The tags don't look OE. The door jamb sticker is obviously a reproduction.
rhodyguy
For 110k you get kybs and a tub that needs bodywork and paint. I think this car will languish for awhile.
bretth
Wow those are some awful looking attempts at reproduction tags. If the car is even for real what idiot had them replaced?

Brett
jrblackbox
Is that the correct speedometer?
flyer86d
How about those rear wheel arches. They look a little too round.
Mike Fitton
Quote from the ad:

"The paint job was high quality for the time and fortunately they left the doorjambs, trunks, and engine bay all original paint (verified with a paint meter)."

So why all the redone labels and plates? What about the stamped chassis number in the rear trunk floor.
PlantMan
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Dec 19 2016, 11:15 AM) *

How about those rear wheel arches. They look a little too round.

I agree. Those fenders look rolled.
Catorse
No affiliation but the broker is 100% legit and very well known in the SoCal Porsche scene if that helps....
gms
not only are the vin tag fonts incorrect the dot sticker is a repro with the wrong build date. I don't think they were making 1970 YOM cars in October

here is #2344 for comparison (06/70)
Click to view attachment
gms
what does this have to do with the car????
Click to view attachment
SirAndy

I'm pretty sure adding a repro VIN tag is not legal in CA and them tags are most certainly repros.

That's a HUGE red flag right there ...
stirthepot.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
rgalla9146
Unsightly hood emblem
High polish on Fuchs, never a good thing.
Boatload of Armorall
.....and much more
oh, and what's up with the rear bumper ? faux diamond plate on license plate area ?
914Sixer
Too much reproduction stuff.
gms
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 19 2016, 04:03 PM) *

oh, and what's up with the rear bumper ? faux diamond plate on license plate area ?

is that what you do when you cant get the bumper flat biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
the sales guy for auto kennel always writes adds like this..He spins yarns about all their cars.....some truth ,but no facts that pertain to the car...or only slightly,,,He was a gentle old man and only rolled it ten times is probably closer to the truth..

That front tag is out of Germany and is chemically etched, not even stamped..I have one..
forrestkhaag
I will drop by tomorrow mid day and take a few pix for my "friend" that is interested....

Under the trunk mat should tell the tale. Or at lease shed some light on it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif of a real -6...............

Here is my fake one in the making... And yes,... the rear fenders had to be rolled slightly to get the 7 inchers to roll after mounting..... sheeplove.gif

beerchug.gif
North Coast Jim
Windshield VIN tags looks like one from Car Bone in Poland. All wrong
Jonathan Livesay
IPB Image

The number spacing isn't even right.
stugray
The VIN tags dont even look stamped. They look like laser etching.
sixaddict
Ever wonder why a car with only 25k miles and only too loving owners sheeplove.gif needs so damn much work dry.gif
gcrotvik
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 19 2016, 03:12 PM) *

That would explain why they are so perfectly aligned and spaced.
fixer34
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 19 2016, 05:13 PM) *

Ever wonder why a car with only 25k miles and only too loving owners sheeplove.gif needs so damn much work dry.gif

My thoughts exactly. Even being 45 yrs old, an engine/trans shouldn't need a full rebuild with that low of mileage.
mepstein
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Dec 19 2016, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Dec 19 2016, 05:13 PM) *

My thoughts exactly. Even being 45 yrs old, an engine/trans shouldn't need a full rebuild with that low of mileage.

Unless it's documented, mileage is easy to fake. Anybody can drop a different speedo in a car or adjust the current one. Some states require mileage on the title but some don't. That car looks super sketchy but I'm not a numbers matching guy so real six / fake six, whatever.
lalee914
For some reason, I can't see the photos on the Autokenel web site.
jmill
Did the 70 not have the fender stamped vin?
KELTY360
popcorn[1].gif

So entertaining when this group sinks it's teeth into a story that doesn't add up.
walterolin
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 19 2016, 08:21 PM) *

Did the 70 not have the fender stamped vin?

Yes it did, at least the fours.

Would like to see a photo of the fender and the chassis number in the trunk.
mskala
Yes it should have the fender stamped VIN. Would be very interesting to see
that area.

Also, what the hell does original miles even mean when most of the car has
been painted and the rear fenders were obviously welded with different flare
shape.
rudedude
10/70 would be a '71
rgalla9146
All three identifiers shown are replacements.
The two 'stamped in' ones are not shown.
Somethin' fishy.
jmill
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 19 2016, 08:47 PM) *

All three identifiers shown are replacements.
The two 'stamped in' ones are not shown.
Somethin' fishy.

But at least we've got pictures of his wife, kids and dog. So that all lines up. confused24.gif
Rand
It is the auto kennel after all, where stray dogs go to market.
pete000
Nice price, not so nice six..IMHO...

Terrible paint...
Larmo63
Those rear fenders are AWFUL. barf.gif

The VINs look illegal. stromberg.gif

I doubt if this car is at his shop. Paul needs to be made aware of the problems pointed out in this thread.
porschetub
for that money any buyer with any sense needs 100% on this car,not even close......
Cuda911
QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 19 2016, 03:12 PM) *

What's with the dimples in the 4s? Clearly not stamped.

At least we know that in fact Frank Hubbard has indeed passed.

Mike Fitton
Either someone hacked into Auto Kennel's site and listed this car or their reputation is going to take a big hit.
bretth
Hah! <oldManVoice>"If you want to buy my car you have to watch my slide show from our family vacations"</oldManVoice>

QUOTE(gms @ Dec 19 2016, 04:56 PM) *

what does this have to do with the car????
Click to view attachment
gcrotvik
I emailed Paul this morning and passed on this link thread. He replied with the following:

Thx Greg. Really appreciate the heads up. We are pulling it off our site this am and bringing in some big guns in the 914 world to go through the car with me.

After that, we will see what we want to do.

Cheers,

Paul
Cairo94507
Stand up guy! That's what should always happen when the authenticity of a car is raised. Way to go Auto Kennel biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
lalee914
Another small thing that is kind of odd is the carbs. The drivers side has a SN of 1054 while the passengers side looks like 5753. It seems that the serial numbers should be closer together than that. My old car (9140431688) had carb SNs 958 and 1355. It would seem that this car should have had carbs numbered in the 5000 range.

Is it a case of the factory using whatever carbs were sitting on the shelf or did something happen to required replacing one?
QUOTE(lalee914 @ Dec 20 2016, 07:44 AM) *

Another small thing that is kind of odd is the carbs. The drivers side has a SN of 1054 while the passengers side looks like 5753. It seems that the serial numbers should be closer together than that. My old car (9140431688) had carb SNs 958 and 1355. It would seem that this car should have had carbs numbered in the 5000 range.

Is it a case of the factory using whatever carbs were sitting on the shelf or did something happen to required replacing one?

Here's my. 02 cents, again lot of conjecture here from everyone sitting behind a monitor.

As for the factory using a " match " serial number webber carbs...is asking a lot. If one was missed place, would they stop the production line until they found it...

If your interested, call and or stop by to evaluate to your satisfaction...oh, I have no interest in this - 6....
gms
QUOTE(396 @ Dec 20 2016, 09:59 AM) *

... lot of conjecture here from everyone sitting behind a monitor.

As always I stand 100% behind my comments and evaluations.
rhodyguy
WTH? Auto Kennel isn't even sure what they have and they're trying to sell it? Do they OWN the car or are they just 'representing' it and taking a cut?
Autokennel
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 20 2016, 08:51 AM) *

WTH? Auto Kennel isn't even sure what they have and they're trying to sell it? Do they OWN the car or are they just 'representing' it and taking a cut?

Hi All,

I first off what to thank those with constructive criticism. We know the car is a 914-6 and know the people who are involved with the ownership. The car is on consignment as are the majority of our cars. We simply do not buy cars and flip them.

Occasionally, we will sell something from our personal collection. When I say "we" it is just me and my retired dad part time. We've been doing this for close to 20-years (think hobby that got out of control).

Yes, we are not perfect and make mistakes. We are trying to figure out what is going on with the VIN badges.

Once we investigate these items further, we will post our findings. At that time, we will decide if we want to represent the car or simply give it back to the owner.

Once again, I thank you all for pointing out things that aren't right.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to call me.

Cheers and happy holidays,

Paul
rhodyguy
Fair enough. Answering questions outfront goes a long way around here. GLWTS.
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 20 2016, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Dec 20 2016, 09:59 AM) *

... lot of conjecture here from everyone sitting behind a monitor.

As always I stand 100% behind my comments and evaluations.

gms, your comment about the vin tag is valid. I was not referring to you.

Like your self, I'm a -6 owner too. Been one since 75.
Only thing that I don't do is to dissect the car. I simply drive it and develop it for the POC events that I used to participate in.

smile.gif
Ferg

Hi All,

I first off what to thank those with constructive criticism. We know the car is a 914-6 and know the people who are involved with the ownership. The car is on consignment as are the majority of our cars. We simply do not buy cars and flip them.

Occasionally, we will sell something from our personal collection. When I say "we" it is just me and my retired dad part time. We've been doing this for close to 20-years (think hobby that got out of control).

Yes, we are not perfect and make mistakes. We are trying to figure out what is going on with the VIN badges.

Once we investigate these items further, we will post our findings. At that time, we will decide if we want to represent the car or simply give it back to the owner.

Once again, I thank you all for pointing out things that aren't right.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to call me.

Cheers and happy holidays,

Paul

smilie_pokal.gif very good to hear.
Larmo63
I know Paul and he is a stand up guy. I doubt that we will see this car represented by Autokennel in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.