Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Double or Single Adjustable Konis???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Or more importantly, will I, an average driver know the difference in tuning ability of the double adjustable shock??

8610 series is single=rebound only

8611 series is double=rebound and compression

Aaron Cox
are the double adj. ones the ones with the extra knob at the bottom?
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 27 2005, 01:45 PM)

yep.......

I was looking at Advance-Design shocks as well, but they are basicly $400 each for the front

Advance Design Aluminum, double adjustable

They look too pretty to install in the strut housing

user posted image
phantom914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 27 2005, 12:44 PM)
Or more importantly, will I, an average driver know the difference in tuning ability of the double adjustable shock??

Mike,

Out of curiosity, do you know for sure that the adjustment of the 8610 affects rebound only? I was told the adjustment on Tokico Illuminas, which are single adjustable, affects both the rebound and compression.

Andrew
Mueller
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Apr 27 2005, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 27 2005, 12:44 PM)

Mike,

Out of curiosity, do you know for sure that the adjustment of the 8610 affects rebound only? I was told the adjustment on Tokico Illuminas, which are single adjustable, affects both the rebound and compression.

Andrew

Andrew,

According to the spec sheets, the Koni single adjustment only affects rebound.

I have found a few other companies (AFCO, QA1) that are single adjustment shocks, yet turning the one knob will affect both rebound and compression.
Mueller
I snagged this off the Koni site to give some insight on adjusting rebound/compression

Jeroen
I thought the Advance shocks were a product from Ground Control confused24.gif
Brad Roberts
Last time I checked..

Mueller.. are you sure they sell the double for our strut housings ? and are you *sure* they sell them for the rear of our cars ?

I say stick with the singles.. last thing you told me was: Driver.

B
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 27 2005, 03:19 PM)
I thought the Advance shocks were a product from Ground Control confused24.gif

It appears that Advanced Design is sorta seperate from Ground Control, when I called them this morning I asked if they are one and the same, the guy on the phone said they work on AD shocks??? whatever than means???

they might be owned by the same person ...they both need to update their websites...the person that answers the e-mail is rude.... it's not my fault they list the Porsche shocks @ $199 on the price sheet when in fact it's a coil over setup instead at that price.....

Brad Roberts
the guy on the phone said they work on AD shocks???

He didnt lie... they rebuild AD shocks.

B
Mueller
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 03:24 PM)
Last time I checked..

Mueller.. are you sure they sell the double for our strut housings ? and are you *sure* they sell them for the rear of our cars ?

I say stick with the singles.. last thing you told me was: Driver.

B

yep....they said they can furnish them for the car..didn't ask about the rear, but I see no reason why not......

since I need new shocks as it is, I figure a few hundred bucks spent on "better" shocks wouldn't be that big of deal...

of course that was up until about 3 minutes ago when I found out the side job I was busting my @ss on for the last month and missed having a car at the WCC due to it might be broke and I won't get paid headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm betting "lunch" they dont have the rears. The reason they have the front: RX7's run a strut *similar* to ours...which means they have a double for us. Good luck and let me know.

B
Mueller
Found a picture of the Advance Design front setup....raised spindle as an option.....seems like a rear shock would be a no-brainer for these guys

Rusty
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 27 2005, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 27 2005, 01:45 PM)

yep.......

I was looking at Advance-Design shocks as well, but they are basicly $400 each for the front

Advance Design Aluminum, double adjustable

They look too pretty to install in the strut housing

user posted image

You're kidding, right? 400 dollars EACH?? ohmy.gif

Call HPH and pick up a pair of single adjustables for ~350. I did that today.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Brad Roberts
MikeM,

That is the front strut I have for BillP's car. The rears are monoball mount to the bottom..

Just stick with the rebound Koni's.

You are not building a race car.

B
Rusty
Brad,

I talked to Rich B today. Please give him a call.

-Lawrence
Gint
Hey Mike! Buy a set and take 'em apart. Oh, and, get pics. wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Ha ha... I like Gints idea.. flipa.gif I can see MM now.. covered in Koni oil.

B
Tony C
Ground Control owns Advance Design. Advance Design is just a spin off that produces only those double adjustable shocks. They are $400 each, plus the strut housing. These shocks are full racing shocks and will not put up with a lot of street miles, I would not recomend them for you Mike.

I helped with the R&D of these shocks and continue to help improve them. I am also one of Ground Controls largest dealers/installers. If any of you have any questions just send me an email. Ground Control is going through a rough phase with employees right now and I can often get you an answer.

-tony welder.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 27 2005, 07:21 PM)
Ha ha... I like Gints idea.. flipa.gif I can see MM now.. covered in Koni oil.

B

chowtime.gif finger lick'n good smile.gif

thanks Tony...I'll be harrassing you sometime next week around lunch time....
groot
Mike,

I agree with Brad, stick with the singles for your application.

To use the Koni 8611s (I have them on my fronts) you have to figure out a way to adjust the bump setting, which is on the bottom of the strut. So you either have to make a slot in the bottom of the strut housing or come through the ball joint to get at the adjuster... or remove the strut cartridge to adjust bump.

I have a different setup, so I can get to my bump adjustment, but I still have to remove the wheel to do it.
Mueller
QUOTE (groot @ Apr 28 2005, 04:31 AM)
Mike,

I agree with Brad, stick with the singles for your application.

To use the Koni 8611s (I have them on my fronts) you have to figure out a way to adjust the bump setting, which is on the bottom of the strut. So you either have to make a slot in the bottom of the strut housing or come through the ball joint to get at the adjuster... or remove the strut cartridge to adjust bump.

I have a different setup, so I can get to my bump adjustment, but I still have to remove the wheel to do it.

yea...I know, Brad is normally correct headbang.gif ...

it's tough knowing that there are other options available and for some odd reason I love the idea of being able to fine tune/tweak the suspension smash.gif
groot
Adjusting rebound, alignment, spring rates and tire pressures give you plenty of knobs to tweak.
rhodyguy
for the money you can't go wrong with the yellows, imho. interesting attachment re the koni advice. confirms exactly what i discovered while driving home with the rebound turned up.

k
Mueller
Hey Brad or Andy...hurry up and add the rear Konis to the club store.....I just got my tax returns today and I'm ready to purchase all 4 corners smile.gif smash.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.