Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve lifter broke off!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
During assembly of my stock -70 1.7 I was by hand wiggeling in the #4 exhaust lifter and it fell apart blink.gif , no force at all was used. All other lifters seems OK, should be stock lifters.

Have been running this engine for the last 50000 of its 100000 miles, did not notice any strange sounds last time I started it which was a short run after sitting for 10 years.

Only thing I can remember as strange was one rocker shaft came lose for about 4000 miles ago...retightened it and everything looked OK...dont remember if it was this side though and if it could have any influence(?)

Looking at the broken ends (pic at the bottom) it seems that some of the fracture is hammered (but not wery much) so it might be that it broke during running.

What can the reason be and is this a known issue with Type4 lifters?

//Lars S

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rgalla9146
That may have been broken for a while but was kept by the lifter bore.
Is it a stock lifter ?
larss
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Dec 25 2016, 07:26 PM) *

That may have been broken for a while but was kept by the lifter bore.
Is it a stock lifter ?

Yes should be a stock lifter...engine not been fiddeled with as far as I know.

/Lars S
euro911
Do you need a lifter? ... I have some decent spares
larss
QUOTE(euro911 @ Dec 25 2016, 09:26 PM) *

Do you need a lifter? ... I have some decent spares

Thanks Mark I have some myself!

/Lars S
Krieger
Did you give a look at the bore it came out of? Hopefully there is no damage from the debris.
barefoot
Can't imagine the fatigue cycles that could have caused this, only thing I can think of is that the insert that the pushrods sockets into was slightly mis-aligned in the bore that set up a cyclic stress ultimately resulting in fracture. Looks like it's been fractured for a while as the surfaces look dull, or could be just dirty oil.
HAM Inc
It's possible that when the rocker arms came loose that excessive lash damaged the follower. I would consider taking a look at the valve tips.

And since the engine sat for so long I would also look the valve springs over for rust. Couldn't begin to tell you how many heads I've had in the shop from engines that sat for years that had rusty springs. Even from engines stored indoors.
larss
QUOTE(Krieger @ Dec 25 2016, 10:49 PM) *

Did you give a look at the bore it came out of? Hopefully there is no damage from the debris.

Thanks!
The bore has no damage at all, and all the other lifters looks OK.

//Lars S
larss
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Dec 26 2016, 04:41 AM) *

It's possible that when the rocker arms came loose that excessive lash damaged the follower. I would consider taking a look at the valve tips.

And since the engine sat for so long I would also look the valve springs over for rust. Couldn't begin to tell you how many heads I've had in the shop from engines that sat for years that had rusty springs. Even from engines stored indoors.

All valve tips looks good also the groove in the lifter where the pushriod rests looks as it should...will take a look at the springs, thanks!

//Lars S
Valy
I would take a very careful look at the camshaft lobe bellow that lifter. It could be that vibrations from the friction with the lobe caused that.
Check the oil passafes in that area too. I don't like the pitting on the sides. Those lifters are usually very smooth. Are all your lifters like that? Look in my build thread (signature) for the pictures of my new lifters.
Mark Henry
Only time I've ever seen something like that is using 2 lifters and a BFH to hammer the ends onto custom pushrods. smash.gif

Are you sure that's a one piece lifter? confused24.gif
Look down the cup end of one of the other lifters for a small circlip.
larss
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 26 2016, 07:42 PM) *

I would take a very careful look at the camshaft lobe bellow that lifter. It could be that vibrations from the friction with the lobe caused that.
Check the oil passafes in that area too. I don't like the pitting on the sides. Those lifters are usually very smooth. Are all your lifters like that? Look in my build thread (signature) for the pictures of my new lifters.

Thanks!
Have put everything back together now (with a spare lifter!) Did check all cam lobes but everything looked normal.
Thanks again!

Lars S
larss
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 26 2016, 07:59 PM) *

Only time I've ever seen something like that is using 2 lifters and a BFH to hammer the ends onto custom pushrods. smash.gif

Are you sure that's a one piece lifter? confused24.gif
Look down the cup end of one of the other lifters for a small circlip.

Thanks!
...Have owned the engine since 1980 so the chance for non stock liftet is small but I will have a close look when Im back home.

Thanks again!

Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.