Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning the inside of the oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
During the 1st tear down of my 100.000 mile stock 1.7 engime I filled the oil cooler with some detergent and let it sit overnight.
What came out was wery similar to a Guinnes Stout, also there was a lot of dirt sunk down to the bottom of the jar.
Did a second fill and what came out the day after was more like strong coffe butno dirt in the bottom.

My feel is that this may have affected the cooling significantely and to clean the inside of the oil cooler when there is a chance is a must.

Is there a more effective way to clean it?

/Lars S

IPB Image

Dirt from the bottom of the jar:
IPB Image
ConeDodger
It's a replacement item. barf.gif
dlee6204
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 26 2016, 08:58 AM) *

agree.gif Just replace it with a new one.
Krieger
There are businesses that specialize in cleaning oil coolers ultrasonically. They will also pressure test them for leaks. Gasoline is also a good cheap solvent.
IronHillRestorations
Unless you can find a place that specializes in cleaning contaminated oil coolers, that thing is a goner.
6freak
id try boiling with some dawn dish soap if that dont work ,,I agree buy new....and gas is for running your car not cleaning it JMO...1 spark and well you know the rest...good luck
smile.gif
larss
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 26 2016, 03:58 PM) *

Thanks all, didnt know that!
Can see that the prices for new coolers vary a lot...wich coolers should I avoid/go for?

Lars S
IronHillRestorations
A quick google search revealed you can get a new one for less than $150, this is a no-brainer. I'd try and find one that wasn't made in Brazil or China
eyesright
Wow! That engine was still running? Show us the crank journals and etc...we gotta see this!
Elliot Cannon
If you really MUST keep the old one, send it here. biggrin.gif http://oilcoolers.com/
larss
QUOTE(eyesright @ Dec 26 2016, 07:10 PM) *

Wow! That engine was still running? Show us the crank journals and etc...we gotta see this!

Thanks!
"Case is closed" but I have saved the old bearing races can take some shots on them.

Lars S
injunmort
i put my last one in old turkey fryer with tsp from lowes, i keep the temp under boiling. it cleaned it right out. used the same setup as a hot tank for the oily bits as well.
maf914
A new replacement seems to be reasonably priced at US $79.95 from aircooled.net. I don't know what the price may be in Sweden.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Ty...21-117-021b.htm
Mikey914
Radiator shops can do this. Steam clean and pressure test.
North Coast Jim
For the price you pay to attempt to clean it I would purchase new. Gives a new life to a valuable component as well
Jake Raby
The new units cool 10-15% less than the OEM units. I have even seen them out of the box with sand inside them. I no longer use them, and haven't for a few years now.

Ultrasonic cleaning is the only way to go, in a real machine, not a little toy. All 3 of mine are 20K watts and heat to 210F, you should see what comes out of an oil cooler after 20 minutes in the ultrasonic.
gonzo54
Old thread-I'm looking for a Southern California Company to ultrasonic clean and test my oil cooler and I don't want to spend the "Aircraft Certification" price that Pacific Oil Cooler Service charges-any recommendations?

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.