Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 2.4 pistons and cylinder value?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
I am having a hard time coming up with a value on some good used 2.2,2.4 mfi pistons and cylinders. These are oem not off brand. Any help in pricing would be much appreciated.

Have new s pistons and cylinders going in instead.

sixnotfour
They are either 2.2 or 2.4 the compression is different due to stroke difference,
Not much but 2.2s in a 2.4. Is a little bump in compression.
Call EBS they have news J&E pistons and overbore cylinder sets..
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 28 2016, 02:31 PM) *

They are either 2.2 or 2.4 the compression is different due to stroke difference,

Right I have 2.4 t p&c and want to know value. I already have s pistons and cylinders that I am using..

Just want to know what is a fair price to ask for my set of mfi pistons and cylinders I am not going to use.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 28 2016, 04:09 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 28 2016, 02:31 PM) *

Right I have 2.4 t p&c and want to know value. I already have s pistons and cylinders that I am using..

Just want to know what is a fair price to ask for my set of mfi pistons and cylinders I am not going to use.

sixnotfour
unless you measure them or know the mileage, they are cores for rebore...

you said 2.2 - 2.4 not the same

I am pretty sure you are doing 2.2 S because that's what is easily had right now,
and is a great 2.4 upgrade..
Mark Henry
I'd to go to the pelicanparts 911 for sale forum and do a search on 2.4 piston and cylinders for sale, then look at what others have asked for a similar set.

Here and there... peeps don't like answering the old "What's it worth" question.
sixnotfour
cores with out specifics...iron cylinders.. Unless low miles..number's or data...

just reality
brant
I agree with Jeff
He knows this market

I know core values are on the rise
But only a little while back I was disappointed with what I got out of iron cores in good shape
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 28 2016, 05:11 PM) *

unless you measure them or know the mileage, they are cores for rebore...

you said 2.2 - 2.4 not the same

I am pretty sure you are doing 2.2 S because that's what is easily had right now,

These are cast iron cylinders no scoring. I will measure them out and clean and inspect but was curious if it was worth the time for example if they are worth 100 dollars then no not to me but if you are seeing sets sell for 3 to 750 well I guess it's worth it otherwise they become pencil holders.
Mark Henry
Like I said check pelican parts rolleyes.gif
It only took me 2 minutes to see something similar to what you have for sale at $250 for 2 month with only a nibble, no bites.
Also saw a 2.2S set fully spec-ed out good sell for $1300 within days with other peeps in cue.

But then that was only 2 minutes of looking and I'm not doing your work for you. bye1.gif
BK911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2016, 08:42 AM) *

It only took me 2 minutes to see something similar to what you have for sale at $250 for 2 month with only a nibble, no bites.
Also saw a 2.2S set fully spec-ed out good sell for $1300 within days with other peeps in cue.

But then that was only 2 minutes of looking and I'm not doing your work for you. bye1.gif

Nobody wants 2.4T pistons. They are the lowest compression of the 2.2 and 2.4 pistons. The cylinders have some value if not oval and are still within spec. Still have a little value if out of spec if they have enough meat to bore to 85mm.

I have about 6 sets collecting dust. So I hope I am wrong!!
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 29 2016, 05:42 AM) *

I looked as well and was looking here for some opinions..

Thanks everyone.. Maybe I will sell individual in ebay.

brant
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2016, 07:34 AM) *

They are matched as a set by height
mixing and matching from different sets is tricky.
If someone needs one from your height group then that is easy to sell
not as likely that 6 someone's need one each
mb911
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 29 2016, 07:53 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2016, 07:34 AM) *

They are matched as a set by height
mixing and matching from different sets is tricky.
If someone needs one from your height group then that is easy to sell
not as likely that 6 someone's need one each

Thanks I knew that but it is a good reminder so I advertise it that way..

Thanks for the insight everyone..
sixnotfour
2.7 cylinders are better pencil holders because they have aluminum fins and plated bore,,no nasty rust. more pen caocity also beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 29 2016, 11:51 AM) *

2.7 cylinders are better pencil holders because they have aluminum fins and plated bore,,no nasty rust. more pen caocity also beerchug.gif

I sold 5 2.7 cylinders with pistons welded in there with holes drilled in the top for pencils years ago for 100 dollars each..
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2016, 12:56 PM) *

I sold 5 2.7 cylinders with pistons welded in there with holes drilled in the top for pencils years ago for 100 dollars each..

there you go...I welded a handle and put a clear plexi bottom on one for a mug..
ZDUG DUGZ sells em too
jmill
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 28 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Where can these be easily had? I'm in need of a set along with a CW crank.
mb911
QUOTE(jmill @ Dec 29 2016, 01:31 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 28 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Where can these be easily had? I'm in need of a set along with a CW crank.

Well my set with biral cylinders replated were 1600 but I have some good connections..

I would have done JE pistons in my current cylinders had I not found the deal I did.

JE pistons have a really short skirt and not in a good way in my opinion. My 3.2 short stroke turbo engine had them and worked great but from a long term stability stand point I don't know.

I have a heat exchangers client on this forum that has nearly 300k on his stock 2.4 less 1 time head rebuild.. That speaks to quality of the stock pistons and cylinders.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 29 2016, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 29 2016, 12:56 PM) *

there you go...I welded a handle and put a clear plexi bottom on one for a mug..
ZDUG DUGZ sells em too

I got yo boitch's beat on the pencil holders.... mines a 3.6 LN Engineering nickies pencil holder. w00t.gif

Damn...I need to clean the damn thing..... dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.