Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shifter lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
As per title,still having shifting issues need to know what can go wrong/wear out in this part that could cause me issues ?
I have all upgrade bushes,uni-joint @ firewall ,new clutch but it still pops out of gear in 4th,I can adjust the shifter (incorrectly) and it stays put and doesn't jump out of gear,however other gears get screwed up,I appear to have full movement/engagement at the gearbox,research indicates I may have bad bearing in the intermediate plate !!!!!,hope not.
Thanks in advance.
P.S. happy upcoming new year to all beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Spent/worn detent/lockout plate, excessive wear on lever at plate contact point, springs gunked up with grease and dirt, the 2 bushing that cradle the spring on the bottom of the shift lever. Issues with all gears or a specific plane? Front to rear gears or side to side?
porschetub
Thanks Kevin,did an edit with more details,I might ad the lever appears not to follow the gate where ever it is adjusted to.
Box is supposed to be low mileage ??? (85,000kms)
porschetub
Moderators can you please move this to the garage ,sorry and thanks beer.gif
Mikey914
This is puzzling It will not pop out without the rubber if I recall?
rhodyguy
You're saying the lever does not make contact with the plate? unsure.gif if so, getting into r/1st must be a pain.
porschetub
The detent plate appears to be working,changing down into first gear is ok,as I have repaired/updated all linkage parts I'am asking if the gearshift lever could be @ fault.
No matter how I adjust it using all suggested methods the gate isn't well defined especially when changing down,I take it carefully and it appears to help little.
Made further adjustment last night and it will stay in 4th gear under power for a short time or just pops out of gear straight away.
I think its the shift lever or the rear shift rod as that hasn't been made very well,maybe I should redo the whole thing.
The front engine mount is a NOS stock -6 one and the rear gearbox mounts are new 911 type,the engine is firm in the car and moves little.
Dave_Darling
Typically the wear points on the gear shift lever are the hole through the lock plate, and the sides of the lever where it goes through the lock plate.

Sounds to me like you still have slop in the linkage.

Doc Evil has modified a shift rake piece to build up the fingers of the rake where they engage with the shift rails in the transmission. Then file to a very precise fit--that eliminates some of the slop in the linkage that originates inside the gear box.

But that shouldn't make it pop out of gear. If you can't get it to stay in gear, it is most likely that the synchro bands/hub and/or dog-teeth on the slider and gear are worn out. This requires a transmission rebuild to fix. Get Doc E's video on the subject for a thorough set of instructions.

--DD
carcus
Linkage wears out also. I am dealing with that issue right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.