Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheel and adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
I want to replace the stock steering wheel in my 72 914. I've found a Grant steering wheel that I like. Can someone tell me what model adapter I need from grant?

Or, can you tell me what model Momo adapter I would need if I want to switch to a Momo steering wheel?

Thanks.
Rleog
A recent thread dealt with Momo adapters for early (70-71) and later model 914s. The Momo adapter for 70-71 914s (Momo 8000) has become very difficult to find.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=301488

vin man
QUOTE(Rleog @ Jan 3 2017, 05:31 AM) *

A recent thread dealt with Momo adapters for early (70-71) and later model 914s. The Momo adapter for 70-71 914s (Momo 8000) has become very difficult to find.

Thanks. Is the 72 different than the 70-71? Different spline count?
TheCabinetmaker
I bought a grant wheel in the late 70s. The adapter did not come with it. I played hell finding one then. I pretty sure they are no longer made.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(vin man @ Jan 3 2017, 09:54 AM) *

I had thought they were the same.

Yeah, that was my thread, and I've confused myself all to hell with this Momo hub adapter stuff. headbang.gif

Here's what I know (or think I know):

1. I have a MY '72 (third digit of VIN is 2). The build date, based on chassis number, is week 45, which would put the build date sometime in early November of '71 (correct?).

2. I ended up purchasing an adapter, p/n 8002, which corresponds to the later style when I thought that would work. When it arrived, it actually didn't look exactly like any of the other ones I've seen online, although it had a "8002" stamped in it. It did not have the "accordion" or bellows on it that I thought was characteristic of later style, and initially I thought I'd gotten lucky and been shipped an 8000 (early style). But on closer examination it did not look exactly like pictures of the early style I've seen online.

3. Tried to put it on my car just to see if it would work. It really wouldn't go onto the splines far at all, and I didn't want to force it. Just for the heck of it I tried to put it on a '75 steering column I have lying around, and it went on fine. I've read that spline count for early/late 914/4's is the same. I was under the impression that the later adaptor WILL fit on the early splines, but you just can't get it to go on far enough so the turn signal cancel will work. confused24.gif

I am curious if the later adaptor SHOULD at least slide onto my '72 steering column or if there's something else going on. From that thread one of the guys said his car with a Dec '71 build date worked fine with the later adapter, so I was hoping it would work on mine.

dwillouby
On my 76 I Just removed the mount from the stock wheel and drilled it for the Grant wheel. red loctite the bolts , no problems 8 + years

David
Valy
I had an early Momo adapter mounted on my 74 car. It fits the splines but the earli adapter is longer than the late one so it rubs on the signaling switch. You can't engage high beam for sure. Sold it few years ago.
I would assume that the late adapter will fit any 914-4 model but I'm not sure the turn signal cancelling will work on early models.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Jan 3 2017, 10:39 AM) *

On my 76 I Just removed the mount from the stock wheel and drilled it for the Grant wheel. red loctite the bolts , no problems 8 + years

David

Im curious to how you did this. The stock wheel has no mount. It's just the splines and the nut that holds it on. The splines on the grant do not fit the shaft. What am I missing? confused24.gif inquiring minds...
turnaround89

David

Im curious to how you did this. The stock wheel has no mount. It's just the splines and the nut that holds it on. The splines on the grant do not fit the shaft. What am I missing? confused24.gif inquiring minds...

You can do this by sacrificing the old 914 steering wheel. You cut the spokes that hold the wheel to the center portion and then clean up the center portion by grinding/sanding. I did this to mount a MOMO steering wheel in my first 914.

There might be a way to remove the center portion without cutting, but to make things easy I just cut the spokes because the steering wheel was in pretty bad shape.

You should end up with something that looks like this.
IPB Image
GeorgeRud
If one could find more old, beat up plastic wheels, they may be a great source of hubs for any aftermarket wheels. Drilling and tapping holes shouldn't be that big of a challenge.
Valy
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 7 2017, 12:43 PM) *

If one could find more old, beat up plastic wheels, they may be a great source of hubs for any aftermarket wheels. Drilling and tapping holes shouldn't be that big of a challenge.

Not the best solution. The wheel will be too close to the column. The adapters have a depth to compensate for thethe original wheel dish. The wiper and signal levers will probably be in the way.
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 3 2017, 10:24 AM) *

QUOTE(vin man @ Jan 3 2017, 09:54 AM) *

I had thought they were the same.

Yeah, that was my thread, and I've confused myself all to hell with this Momo hub adapter stuff. headbang.gif

Here's what I know (or think I know):

1. I have a MY '72 (third digit of VIN is 2). The build date, based on chassis number, is week 45, which would put the build date sometime in early November of '71 (correct?).

2. I ended up purchasing an adapter, p/n 8002, which corresponds to the later style when I thought that would work. When it arrived, it actually didn't look exactly like any of the other ones I've seen online, although it had a "8002" stamped in it. It did not have the "accordion" or bellows on it that I thought was characteristic of later style, and initially I thought I'd gotten lucky and been shipped an 8000 (early style). But on closer examination it did not look exactly like pictures of the early style I've seen online.

3. Tried to put it on my car just to see if it would work. It really wouldn't go onto the splines far at all, and I didn't want to force it. Just for the heck of it I tried to put it on a '75 steering column I have lying around, and it went on fine. I've read that spline count for early/late 914/4's is the same. I was under the impression that the later adaptor WILL fit on the early splines, but you just can't get it to go on far enough so the turn signal cancel will work. confused24.gif

I am curious if the later adaptor SHOULD at least slide onto my '72 steering column or if there's something else going on. From that thread one of the guys said his car with a Dec '71 build date worked fine with the later adapter, so I was hoping it would work on mine.

The splines are the same on all 914 wheels but a later wheel (72 on) will not sit correctly on an early steering column. It works, it's just not "right" and it has a slight woble. So when you buy a later wheel where they fix it to work on an early colum or a 911, your buying a compromise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.