Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Non skid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I need to apply a non-skid treatment to old concrete stairs that already have paint on them. The existng paint is in good shape. What all products have all ya'll used? Prefer a one part product.
Tom_T
IMHO a 2-part resin+hardener with a silica (sand) based grit is the long term best product type, & Home Despot, Lowes (& Highs), etc. sell them - but pick Behr, Pittsburgh Paints, or another top brand.

Consumer Reports does reports on paints available to consumers, but I don't think it covers this specialty product, but it will give you an ide of which manufacturers are making the better paints nowadays.

IMHO the 1-part products won't harden like an epoxy or polyester with hardener product.

Another option would be a good quality no-skid adhesive strip - IF the surface to which it is applied is smooth & clean for good adhesion. Again - pass on the Harbor Fright cheapo stuff, & get a quality manufacturer. Local property management supplies type stores will have that stuff, & the 2-part coatings as well.

One of our members on here is a chemist, & hopefully he can weigh in with more detail. I can't think of his name offhand (dang half-zymers - maybe Rob??), but his avatar pic is Bill Murphy at the gopher hole from Caddy Shack! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
PlantMan
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jan 4 2017, 11:37 AM) *

I need to apply a non-skid treatment to old concrete stairs that already have paint on them. The existng paint is in good shape. What all products have all ya'll used? Prefer a one part product.

You can check with Glaze-N-Seal or Miracle Sealants. Both have informative websites but you will need to apply these products after a couple years of use. They will not last forever.
I have specified both on projects that I have designed and they do work.

Good luck!
wes
I just tape off the area you want none skid, paint that area, while still wet sprinkle desired amount of clean salt free sand let it dry. After dry add one more coat of paint. Works for me easy cheep, repaint as needed !
barefoot
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Jan 4 2017, 02:37 PM) *

Go to Mcmaster Carr and look for tread tape, comes in rolls of about 60' and has
great tape adhesion.
Easy peasy.
JeffBowlsby
A rubber mat works... wink.gif

Seriously, 99% sure you will need to remove the paint or at least abraid it to receive the new coating with aggregate in it.
6freak
yeap there some bad ass peel and stick ,,should be ok clean the paint/steps with some miniral spirits....id wait for warm temps less your in Zona or something...its cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey in the great PNW
smile.gif
mbseto
Indoors or outdoors?
jeffdon
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 5 2017, 07:20 AM) *

Indoors or outdoors?

Outside
jeffdon
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jan 5 2017, 07:20 AM) *

Indoors or outdoors?

Outside
914GT
One option you could consider is this deck and patio coating. I applied this non-slip coating over my old kool-deck area around my pool and it has been holding up well for years. It gets a lot of abuse from my two grandsons and the dogs, along with our intense Arizona sun and occasional cleaning with a pressure washer. Leslies Pools carries it, as well as possibly other pool supply places.

http://smartsealco.com/products/patioperfect.asp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.