Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk Seal Glue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I installed a new front trunk seal which fits great. Its from 914 Rubber. There are a couple corners, near the headlight bucket that wont seat. The seal lifts. I am thinking about putting a little glue in these spots to hold it down.

I know glue is not desired but I need the seal to stay put.

What glue do you guys recommend?
Mowog4
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jan 7 2017, 05:35 PM) *

I installed a new front trunk seal which fits great. Its from 914 Rubber. There are a couple corners, near the headlight bucket that wont seat. The seal lifts. I am thinking about putting a little glue in these spots to hold it down.

My Choice would be 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive.
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yep thats what I would use.
Mark
mmascari
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Jan 7 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks guys, I will pick some up. Mark
shoguneagle
YEP, THREE!!!
cary
When I installed the new seal in Mark's blue car I added a couple square pieces of cardboard over all the corners. It gave it just a little more down pressure on the black snot when the hood was closed.
second wind
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 8 2017, 10:09 AM) *

When I installed the new seal in Mark's blue car I added a couple square pieces of cardboard over all the corners. It gave it just a little more down pressure on the black snot when the hood was closed.

I too have struggled to get rubber seal to stay put and have found that nothing sticks to the rubber. Will this 3M product do the trick? I have tried contact cement and epoxy and who knows what else? I am hoping new profile seal doesn't raise hood as much as well.
Thank you!
gg
slotty008
The 3M 08008 adhesive is impossible to obtain in Belgium ( and Europe i suppose). Does anyone have an alternative?
mmascari
I just used the 3M adhesive as recommended and it worked fantastic. I had a couple corners that would lift and now they stay in place. I recommend it.
cary
Maybe Wurth W-8905401 ?
Mark Henry
Why glue it in? confused24.gif

If it's not glued in you can take it out to keep the channel clean, dry and rust free. shades.gif
cary
The area protected with tape is the only area that I used adhesive on.
The rest was just fitted into the channel.

It's really going to depend on the condition of your channel and or previous repairs on what will work.
rgalla9146
Read and follow the instructions on the 3M products.
It's also sold in rattle cans in a couple strengths....you'll have to mask....
but you'll get a uniform application.
jkb944t
QUOTE(Mowog4 @ Jan 7 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I used the 3M just on the corners of my new seal and it worked great to hold it in place. I think I wiped the bottom of the seal with some prep-sol to make sure the 3M would adhere.

The new seal from 914Rubber is a huge improvement over the older seal and I would highly recommend it!

Jeff B
lsintampa
I did not and don't intend to glue mine. It sits in just fine and after a while, it relaxes a bit.

They don't seal well anyway, and water will ALWAYS collect in the corners... so after a bath (car never sees rain unless by mistake) I remove the gasket to clean out the channel it sits in.

Rust is NOT are friend.

That's my two cents!
Mikey914
The 3M product is not really a glue in the traditional sense.
It stays tacky so it grips but can easily be removed.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 9 2017, 05:20 PM) *

Is it a different glue? confused24.gif
The 3M yellow super adhesive the sell at the FLAP's up here drys to a hard slightly rubber texture and it's a PITA to remove.
To me I'd call it a water resistant contact bond cement and it smells exactly like it.

I'd rather be able to remove it easy, to me the seal is a water trap.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 9 2017, 02:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 9 2017, 05:20 PM) *

Is it a different glue? confused24.gif
The 3M yellow super adhesive the sell at the FLAP's up here drys to a hard slightly rubber texture and it's a PITA to remove.
To me I'd call it a water resistant contact bond cement and it smells exactly like it.

I'd rather be able to remove it easy, to me the seal is a water trap.

3M weatherstrip adhesive will not harden. It's like super sticky snott. Great visual, but the only way I can give you an of the texture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.