Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Snebs2
I have been reading many post here and would like to know any thoughts on fiberglass hoods trunks and bumpers? I have a 72 in fairly good shape and I like the look of the painted bumpers. I have also looked at a few places online for these parts and wondered if anyone knew witch ones are good/great and bad.
Thanks for your thoughts confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Rleog
Getty Design should be among those you evaluate.
mepstein
Don't expect them to fit like the original steel parts.
infraredcalvin
I have the got GT Racing pieces (both hoods, fenders, bumpers valences), it's going to take A LOT of work to get them to look acceptable. I've heard that Getty is better, but I have no direct expoerence with them.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2017, 04:33 AM) *

True. And if your car has ever had any collision damage that was not repaired to factory spec's, don't expect the oem steel parts to fit correctly, either. biggrin.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 13 2017, 04:33 AM) *

agree.gif
Even the best fiberglass parts need work to fit well. I bought parts from GT racing and Patrick Motorsports. Both needed massaged. Nothing to be scared of, just needed to be fitted.
FYI GT racing gave me a PCA discount.
beer.gif
Optimusglen
Are there any build threads on here dealing with FG flares?
76-914
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jan 13 2017, 06:41 AM) *

Are there any build threads on here dealing with FG flares?

Elyut something or other. stirthepot.gif
jmill
QUOTE(Rleog @ Jan 13 2017, 05:19 AM) *

Getty Design should be among those you evaluate.

I have Getty front and rear FG lids. The rear is very good and needs almost no work. The front has a couple of small waves on it that can be filled if so desired. The passenger side headlight gap also needs a pinch of work.

They aren't marketed as perfect show car replacements. They are good to run as is on a racecar with no work besides some paint.

You'll need to lose the springs since they'll rip the light panels in half. Get some hood shocks if you don't want to balance it on your head.

shoguneagle
I have both Getty Design (911 dash cap) and Patrick. Both needed some re-working but they look very good on a "street car".
ConeDodger
I have Getty Design front and rear deck lids and lower valances all the way around. The lids are perfect without any reworking. The side covers and lower valances will need to be reworked for the flares but as every flare installation is different, I'd expect that.
tygaboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 13 2017, 12:51 PM) *

I have Getty Design front and rear deck lids and lower valances all the way around. The lids are perfect without any reworking. The side covers and lower valances will need to be reworked for the flares but as every flare installation is different, I'd expect that.

Are yours the "regular" 914 hood and trunk lid or Getty's "914-6 GT" version?
I'd be curious if there's any difference in fit between the two.

BTW: Dang! Your car is beautiful! Great work...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jan 13 2017, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 13 2017, 12:51 PM) *

Are yours the "regular" 914 hood and trunk lid or Getty's "914-6 GT" version?
I'd be curious if there's any difference in fit between the two.

BTW: Dang! Your car is beautiful! Great work...

Thanks Chris! They are the GT version with the balsa. Basically a reproduction of the factory GT lids.

By the way, substantial progress on Cars and Coffee Sonoma. I found a guy willing to lead the effort.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.