Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber Float Level Settings ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, so i went to the weber website and looked up the float level settings for my 44 IDFs ...

10mm closed and 32.5mm open

my carbs were pretty off, one side was 10mm closed and 25mm open, the other side was 8mm closed and 23mm open ...

i just finished rebuilding the carbs and i did set the levels to weber specs,
will that make a huge difference in how they work or not?

idea.gif Andy
jwalters
biggrin.gif yes it will----webbers are very discriminate to float levels vs. lean / rich out da jets

What they are shooting for is that as the engine runs, the float will always be allowing fuel ( on level ground, no bumps to upset the float from sloshing fuel ) to flow and stay as close to a particular level as possible. Remember to have no more than 3.5 psi and no less than 2.5 for your thirsty power mad engine to run at a stoichiometric setting ( or as close as possible ).

An engine running with level too high will richen the mixture when on the main jet, too low and the opposite results--they can be cantakerous with this respect--and this is a number one reason why some people have so much trouble getting them set up properly and engine running right--
john rogers
As noted, the float level can very easily affect mixture. Weber USA told me that usually float levels are set low and compensated by jetting as the cars corner harder and with more g-forces that the cars Webers were originally designed for and the needle has trouble seating because of this. I used to set the carbs on my stroker four so the floats were a mm lower that what was called for in their specs and I had very little spill over even with slicks on the car.
rhodyguy
andy, did you ever get a definative answer on the need for the o-ring on the idle air mixture screw?

k
SirAndy
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 30 2005, 05:34 AM)
andy, did you ever get a definative answer on the need for the o-ring on the idle air mixture screw?

yes. they are needed. i got a set of o-rings from nathan (thank you sir) ...

beerchug.gif Andy
rhodyguy
danke.

k
Joe Ricard
So I have mine @ 10mm Seems to work good but still rich @ cruising 3800 RPM in 5th. (air/fuel meter pegs over 12:1) Which I am confident is mostly all main jet. went from 145 to 140 now 135 ans a 220 air. I'll have to try that 1mm thing to see what happens.
Good thing I got a vast selection of jets to screw around with and a meter so I can get a good idea of what is going on. Plugs pretty much follow what the meter tells me.

Raining like crazy so I will go play inside today. smash.gif
Tom Perso
FWIW, I run 135 mains, 200 A/C's, and 55 idles on a 2270.

A friend of mine runs 130's in his 2056.

The CB Performance book is WAAAAYYY fat on their recommendations. I think they are leaning towards the safe side as to not destroy someone's engine.

Run it fat, you'll kill plugs. Run it lean, and you'll kill P/C's and heads...

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.