Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JP Stein has passed away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ConeDodger
This is being discussed in the Sandbox but it should be out here in the garage...

JP Stein, one of the earliest members of any 914 internet list or site has passed away in his sleep... He was as crusty as Crusty and just like him, if he said it, it was 914 gospel.
Many of you have seen the basics of JP's 914 as he owned Britain Smith's car before Britain Subie'd it. Of late, he was in to vintage Mustangs... I met JP when I bought a car in the PNW. I had studied the results from the autocrosses the car had been entered in. I said something to the effect that I thought the car would need some development since it was always a second or two behind similar 914's. JP said, "don't worry about it. I've seen your times and you're right with Steve (Nieslony) and the guy you're buying it from hasn't had the loud pedal near the floor yet." I liked him right from the start. You got no bullshit from JP. Absolute straight shooter. He was wrong though, on my best days, I was always a second or two off Steve.
To JP Stein gentleman. beer3.gif A man amongst men...
914werke
NO blink.gif
Krieger
Sad news. RIP JP.
Toast
Nooooooo....... hissyfit.gif
Andyrew
Aw man... sad.gif

RIP JP
messix
wow sad.gif
Dion
Sorry to hear. Rest In Peace.
raynekat
Wow is right.
Really sad news.

I've known JP as long as I've been in the Oregon area...about 20 years.
What a great guy.
I actually drove his car at a few SCCA events before it became so wild and crazy until Britain's helm.
If you needed any kind of help....JP was there to lend a hand, an ear...whatever.
He had some very sound thoughts about Porsches and 914's especially.
Many I remember to this day.
A very generous soul that never put his medical issues into the limelight.
He just accepted what he had and never burdened his friends with it.

He will be missed.
I'll be watching for a set of black streaks in the heavens for when he's putting the pedal to the metal.
RIP JP....
shoguneagle
This unbelievable and very hard to accept. Rest In Peace, my friend! I really will miss your great involvement in the 914 activities as well as your comments on the board threads.

Steve Hurt
Chris H.
sad.gif That is terrible news. What a huge loss. I'll miss his wit and self-deprecating humor. One of a kind for sure. RIP JP.
bulitt
Another loss to the community. He did some amazing mods to his 914 racer.
RIP JP sad.gif
Jeroen
To good memories... Godspeed JP!
carr914
R.I.P.
ThePaintedMan
I'm so sorry to hear this. Everything I knew about JP made me want to meet him someday. sad.gif
sb914
Sorry to hear,my prayers sent to family.
mb911
That is terrible.. I know that I had some interaction with him years ago but forget what about.. I know he was a good guy..
IronHillRestorations
This is bad news. Condolences and prayers for his loved ones.
Cairo94507
R.I.P. my brother.
krazykonrad
Thoughts and prayers.
mepstein
We are loosing all the crusty ones. Very sad.
Very happy he shared so much time with us.
Kansas 914
Godspeed JP.
boxstr
I considered J.P. As a friend and someone who would make you laugh. I've been to his garage many times. He always had something going on with his 914, or the Mustang.
You will be missed. RIP
Craig at CAMP
brant
Rest in peace
infraredcalvin
RIP seemed to be a straight shooter and genuinely wanted to help. Sending prayers to family and friends.
Mueller
Read about his passing on FB a few days, still just as sad to read it here.

I liked his style, met him a few times which won't be forgotten.

RIP JP!
NS914
So sad to hear of JP's passing. I much like others, really appreciated his insight, like so many of you on this board...truly knowledgeable and it would seem a great guy as well. My condolences to his family. Grant
worn
Weird. I was awake in the middle of the night and was wondering about why he hadn't been posting. Now I get the news.
I cannot add to this. Never met him, held him in respect nonetheless.
76-914
RIP.
Shadowfax
My prayers and condolences to his family and friends. Never met him in person either but always appreciated his advice.
Coondog
Never met the man, but if he liked Mustangs and 914s then he is alright in my book. RIP Sir.
rhodyguy
this sucks sad.gif . i know jp had heath issues over the past few years. not to sound crass, but if it's your time that's the way to go. my dad died in the same manner. you just go to bed and never wake up.
campbellcj
OMG NO! I consider JP one of my closest car buddies I never actually had the pleasure to meet in person. This went way back to the old 1990's 911/914 chat rooms and email lists.

That guy had a wealth of knowledge and heart of gold wrapped in a skin of sharp wit. A unique character.

Rest In Peace my crusty old friend.
KELTY360
There's a fine art to being crusty and JP had it mastered. He'll be missed.

RIP
pt_700
while it's a bummer many of us will never have the opportunity to meet JP, we can be grateful that he chose to share his time, knowledge and wit on a site like this. immortality, in some small way?

my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
StratPlayer
Sad RIP JP
get off my lawn
It's not easy losing an old friend.
I never had that many to start with and I'm almost out.

Back about 16 or 17 years ago after Brad Roberts started 914 club, he also started up a chat forum thingy.
JP and I would sit there for hours talking gibberish, mostly because we both typed with one finner and couldn't speel fer shit.

He'd say, "I baught some new tiars".

What kind?

Round.
And black.

Those were very special times, I miss them and i miss JP.

YPAF
boxsterfan
RIP JP.
914dave
RIP. Condolences to his family and friends. beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
sad.gif
6freak
SOB I liked that old Basterd too ... he give me alot of FAST tips in Pacwood and at Delta Parks (bumpy) course`s ...... R.I.P and god speed Ol fella you will be missed
sad.gif
URY914
Met JP in person at "06 WCC in Portland. He let me drive his car in the a/x. He could not have been a nicer guy. RIP 914 Brother.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Great picture Paul.
SirAndy
Not the kind of news i wanted to hear after coming back from my birthday trip to the mountains ...
sad.gif
McMark
sad.gif No!
r_towle
Damn, this hurts. He will be remembered forever with the 914 tribute sign he gave me for Das Barn....
Smile now JP
EdwardBlume
God Bless JP! He will be missed.

In grad school, I did my capstone project on the Boeing Co. JP let me interview him and talk about labor and management. JP was like a lot of guys around here... smart, tough, and likable.

He will be missed.
rick 918-S
Always enjoyed reading his matter of fact posts. I feel like I know him. Of the many 914'ers I've met along the way I will remember him and miss never meeting him. Wished I had. RIP
green914
RIP sad.gif
PanelBilly
Sad to hear. He made our world a better place.
mgp4591
Very sorry to hear this. I only had a little interaction here in the Garage but his input was always accurate and appreciated. Sorry to see him go...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.