Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping Front Suspension and rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Hi,

I need help !

I am trying to drop my entire front suspension including the steering rack. Everything is unbolted, and loose - except I can't seem to get the rack off the steering shaft.

I have loosened the two bolts inside the drivers side of the car that seem to hold one part of the shaft to the shaft that goes through the front firewall. But the shaft is still in the U clamp.

I can't seem to get the Bellow off under the gas tank - the PO burred the hex bolts.

Any advice?
simonjb

I can't get part number 27 off as the bolts (26) are burred. I have loosened bolts 35 but the shaft - part 33 - remains attached

Click to view attachment

I can't get part number 27 off as the bolts (26) are burred. I have loosened bolts 35 but the shaft - part 33 - remains attached

914forme
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 19 2017, 09:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

back out bolts #25, there are two of them. Deal with the rest latter.

Bolts #35 have to be removed as the shaft is notched and the bolts pass through the notch locking the shaft to the U joint
SirAndy
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 19 2017, 06:27 PM) *
Bolts #35 have to be removed as the shaft is notched and the bolts pass through the notch locking the shaft to the U joint

agree.gif
simonjb
Thanks Guys!!

Any suggestions on the burred HEX bolts?
bdstone914
QUOTE(simonjb @ Jan 19 2017, 08:43 PM) *

Thanks Guys!!

Get one of the sockets that have fingers inside that grab the hex unlike a standard hex shape. Is there any room to get in there with a 4" thin blad angle grinder and cut the bolts in two? Once you cut one the pressure is off the other. Or cut through the yoke. I will give you another ofr the shipping cost.
Bruce
turnaround89
Thanks Guys!!

My hex bolts were completely rounded when I went to remove the steering rack.

I went in with a dremel and cut a slot across the hex for a flat head screwdriver to fit into. Found the biggest flat head bit I had and placed that into a socket to attach to my impact wrench. One little burst from the impact wrench and the bolts came right out.
falcor75
Tapping a torx or xzn bit into the rounded hex holes also usually works.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 20 2017, 09:35 PM) *

Cool! I did not know about these.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.