Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hydraulic lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hseymore1
I am considering building a second 1.7 engine as I have three good cases and lots of spare parts. I have a set of hydraulic lifters good crankshafts and cams. Can anyone give me so do's don't etc. that I should be aware of as I have only built stock engines?
Ferg
I'm sure I won't be the only one, but Don't use em. I really really dislike them.

ConeDodger
Do: not use them...

Don't: use them...

biggrin.gif

Loss of performance d/t loss of precision. Vs: no valve adjustments.
Dave_Darling
And you do still have to adjust the valves, particularly when the engine sits for an extended period of time.

--DD
Mark Henry
Pro is they add weight to your scrap metal pile.

Con is they're junk.

Personally I'd rather use dog doo for lifters.
Learn how to adjust your valves, or pay a wrench to do it.
Part of the package when you own a 914.
rjames
I have them and I check that they are in adjustment once or twice a year, which they always are.

That said, I wish my engine didn't have them. If I don't drive the car for an extended period of time it can take a while for the lifters to fill with oil, and until they do it makes a horrible racket.

Adjusting the valves isn't that difficult after you've done it a few times so don't let that be the deciding factor.
hseymore1
QUOTE(hseymore1 @ Jan 23 2017, 08:18 AM) *

I am considering building a second 1.7 engine as I have three good cases and lots of spare parts. I have a set of hydraulic lifters good crankshafts and cams. Can anyone give me so do's don't etc. that I should be aware of as I have only built stock engines?

Well it seems the verdict is no and I thank you all very much.
JamesM
QUOTE(hseymore1 @ Jan 23 2017, 09:18 AM) *

I ran them for about 10 years on a 2.0 I had built back when I used my 914 for a daily driver. Never adjusted the valves once.

They worked just fine but i wouldn't do it again. Adjusting the valves is not a big deal.

quick edit: let me clarify "fine": On a daily driver below 4500 rpm they ran great as long as the car had not been sitting for a while and as long as the oil was clean. those are pretty much the operating parameters you need to say in to consider how they work "fine"
larryM

https://www.google.com/search?q=914+hydraul...-8&oe=utf-8

Dave Darling wrote w decent article about this many many yrs ago - it's on pelican

i did it once - 20 yrs ago - it does not work with D-jet & oem cam -

likely would work OK with a proper hydraulic cam - meaning a complete engine teardown & rebuild (35 hrs flat rate)

- webcam has a couple performance Hydro cams to consider - mostly aimed at the VW market but good enuf

cgnj
If you use crmo pushrods with mechanical lifters, you can use zero lash braille method.
Beats feeler gauge, screwdriver and wrench, especially if the motor is stroked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.