Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question #2: How much shine can you put into fuch's alloys?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McLovin
How shiny can you make Fuch's alloys? Any tips or tricks you care to share? How often do they need to be polished?
Cairo94507
They were never polished or chromed from the factory. Personally, I like the stock look or on flared cars I like the RSR finish. Other than that, buff away. unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 30 2017, 02:09 PM) *
How shiny can you make Fuch's alloys?

Fuchs is a name and not plural, there is no such thing as a single "Fuch" wheel.

Fuchs is the name of the company, meaning there will always be a "s" at the end, even if it is just a single wheel.
shades.gif
McLovin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Fuchs is a name and not plural, there is no such thing as a single "Fuch" wheel.

Fuchs is the name of the company, meaning there will always be a "s" at the end, even if it is just a single wheel.
shades.gif

Thanks. I knew that. Put the apostrophe in there out of habit. I do the same with "it's", even though I know the proper usage.
rgalla9146
To polish them you have to remove the original protective surface finish.
After you've accomplished that you're in for a life o'polishin.
Mueller
Same as anything bare aluminum. Mothers works well. Any decent youtube tutorial on the subject will show you, nothing special about the rim if you want it polished.

If real and unpolished you might have to remove the clear anodizing, Easy Off oven cleaner works or sanding.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 30 2017, 07:22 PM) *

Easy Off oven cleaner works or sanding.

Please don't sand without taking off the anodizing first sad.gif

Use a weak solution of lye (sodium hydroxide, caustic soda...all the same thing) to strip the anodizing, then you can sand progressing to finer grits and polish.
Many, but not all, toilet bowl cleaners and I suspect easy-off use sodium hydroxide as the active ingredient.
jsaum
You can get a nice finish I went down to 2000 grit sandpaper and close to 20 hours on one rim. Then I used the red and white clay and a buffing wheel for the final finish. So far it's holding up pretty good with the Mothers cleaner and polish.
McLovin
QUOTE(jsaum @ Jan 30 2017, 08:11 PM) *

You can get a nice finish I went down to 2000 grit sandpaper and close to 20 hours on one rim. Then I used the red and white clay and a buffing wheel for the final finish. So far it's holding up pretty good with the Mothers cleaner and polish.

That looks amazing! Please show your whole car. How long has it been since you completed the buffing? How much effort is it to maintain it? (like how often do you put on the Mothers cleaner and how long does that process take?) In your opinion, was it worth it to remove the protective coating?

Since I'm kind of a lazy guy, I can't help but wonder if you could have gotten comparable results in a shorter time by using different products/sanding grits? How many grits did you use on your way down? Did you do it by hand, or with a power tool? Anyone else get similar results in a shorter time?
Krieger
From my experience, it seems like the forged wheels are harder to polish than a cast alloy. They also hold the polish a lot longer.
mepstein
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 30 2017, 10:04 PM) *

From my experience, it seems like the forged wheels are harder to polish than a cast alloy. They also hold the polish a lot longer.

Yes.

There are no shortcuts. Be prepared once you commit.
RichPugh
There are no shortcuts. Be prepared once you commit.

Well... you could just send them to Frank... haha.

https://m.facebook.com/shorepolish/
rgalla9146

....or you could buy a Corvette
TJB/914
polished and lots of dirty work happy11.gif
Pay someone else to do the job.
T
Larmo63
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 30 2017, 07:46 PM) *

....or you could buy a Corvette

lol-2.gif
McLovin
So how shiny can you get them if you don't burn through the anodized coating? What's a good polish for that?
KELTY360
QUOTE(McLovin @ Feb 2 2017, 07:03 AM) *

So how shiny can you get them if you don't burn through the anodized coating? What's a good polish for that?

Describe the color red. dry.gif
arne

The anodizing is harder than the polish is abrasive. Polish it all you want, the shine won't change much other than getting cleaner. If you want that mirror finish, you will need to strip the anodizing in some manner. Either chemically or with abrasives, take your pick.
McLovin
QUOTE(arne @ Feb 2 2017, 12:02 PM) *

The anodizing is harder than the polish is abrasive. Polish it all you want, the shine won't change much other than getting cleaner. If you want that mirror finish, you will need to strip the anodizing in some manner. Either chemically or with abrasives, take your pick.

Thanks, Arne. Kelty: I'll get back to you on that one.

Ok, trying to crack the nut another way, has anyone tried this?

http://www.fastlinecoatings.co.uk/pics/x5wheels.html

more info: http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chr...n.554420/page-2
Mark Henry
Fastest way is to DIY is strip them with the weak lye solution I discribed, then bead bast them and start sanding and polishing.
I had about 6 hours total into each rim this way.

Pro shops do the same lye solution, then they use an expensive tumbler filled with ceramic beads.

The powdercoat chrome called Ceramichrome (IIRC) isn't cheap last time I checked.
McLovin
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 2 2017, 01:33 PM) *

Fastest way is to DIY is strip them with the weak lye solution I discribed, then bead bast them and start sanding and polishing.
I had about 6 hours total into each rim this way.

Pro shops do the same lye solution, then they use a expensive tumbler filled with ceramic beads.

The powdercoat chrome called Ceramachrome (IIRC) isn't cheap last time I checked.

6 hours isn't so bad. Seems like the powder coat has as many minuses as pluses.

Thanks for the info.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 30 2017, 03:23 PM) *

shades.gif

Fuch that.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.