Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat resistant gasket on intake manifold ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
I've a '74 with dual webbers and the PO had put thick heat resistant gasket between the intake runner and the head. My question is do I really need it ? It's about 3/16 thick and looks like asbestos impregnated material.

The local VW guy says it's to stop the head from heating up the lower section of the intake runner and says normally they run thin intake gaskets on either side of that heat sheild gasket anyway.

Any opinions ?
ArtechnikA
yes, you need it. yes, you run gaskets on both sides.

without the heat block the fuel will boil from the float bowls at shutdown; nothing good ever comes from this.

i just took the Webers off my 914.6 and discovered that the heat blocks were *not* installed there, as they had been on my other car. i'll be ordering up a set and installing them before the carbs are put back into service.
David Mueller
I'm having a hard time finding the thick gasket set. One side of mine is cracked in half so it's not sealing so good. Please post or email your source once you find them. Iwas told by the VW guy that they only come in complete gasket kits which I really don't need. Any body have a spare kicking around they'd like to part with ?
rhodyguy
i use the stock phelenolic(sp?) ones on the silver car. they push the intake setup out just enough that i have to pull the carbs, not the intakes which are cb talls, when dropping the engine. 8 nuts and i lift the carbs and linkage out in one piece.

k
ArtechnikA
CB Performance would be where i'd start, or at a Weber/Redline distributor. they're available for 911 applications but i doubt they're the same parts.

worst-case - they can't be -too- hard to fabricate from a block of phenolic or other high-temp rigid plastic.
SirAndy
or, just use the ones that came with your FI ...

wink.gif Andy
bondo
Will these work?

Intake manifold gasket

They're pretty thick, but I don't know if they block heat well enough. (these are just the gaskets from the stock FI)
David Mueller
The CB performance units look like they go between the Carb and intake. I was looking for a gasket between the intake and the head. Do you use the same ones on both ends?

As to using the ones that came with the FI...all that stuff is long gone with the previous owner...and aren't the intakes different for carbs and the fuel injection or is where the bolt up to the heads pretty much the same ?
SirAndy
they are the same bolt pattern and they will fit fine. the FI gaskets are readily available at all the usual parts outlets ...

*if* your heads are opened up, you should port match the holes in the gaskets to match your head-intakes ...

i run them on my car and the carbs stay nice and cold all the time ...
wink.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
i got the phenolics for 8 bucks at Save a Bug Auto.

most bus places will have them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.