Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions on exhaust for newb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok, I am a total newb when it comes to Porsches... I have been converting from Hondas and other japanese crap to something better. Explain how the exhaust system works. Like the heat exchangers and other bs. Also when someone gets a header system, does that remove the heat exchangers? Also, what compromises the 914 exhaust? Is there an 02 sensor, cat converter and such? Or is it a straight pipe. Keep in mind I will be getting a 72 1.7...Basically..from motor to tailpipe what is there. lol. Also, I have examined the car I am to be purchasing soon and rust is minimal..very little battery tray corrosion. Well the car has a old aftermarket exhaust system with dual outlets. In fact..its something like this 00 00. If that makes sense. I think the heat exchangers are there on it..I see all this tin around the exhaust. Are those the exhangers? Could someone post a pic of the exhaust with exchangers so I know what to look for? Also, should I change that exhaust to a single outlet, for reasons of too much backpressure loss? Ok thats a ton to digest..sorry for the long post. Oh yes, one more, what kind of exhaust is this?

THANX

Jared wink.gif
Andyrew
My best guess would be a really loud header system with glasspacks for a 6 cylindar..

the tin moves the hot air from the hot heat exchangers to the heating system. There is a cat on the later cars. From motor to tail pipes, uhh heat exchangers and a muffler. Thats all I know! The rest are my same questions tongue.gif

Andrew
DrifterJay
Why am I listening to someone a year younger than me??? just playing..lol.

Jared wink.gif
SirAndy
if your exhaust looks like the one in the pic below, it's a MANTA (aftermarket).
they are not too bad, according to brad a bit weaker than a bursch, but i guess only a dyno-session could really tell ...

IPB Image
DrifterJay
thanx...I finally know what it is, it is identical to the one there...but thats a six right? I have it on a little 1.7...
Jared wink.gif
SirAndy
heat-exchanger:

basically, you blow cold (well whatever air you have that day) air over your HOT exhaust pipe to heat it up and then push it inside the car. see pic below.

a "header" system is simply just the exhaust pipe with no heat exchanger ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jun 29 2003, 12:06 AM)
thanx...I finally know what it is, it is identical to the one there...but thats a six right? I have it on a little 1.7...
Jared wink.gif

nope, mine is a /4 1.8 wub.gif
DrifterJay
Thank you professor Andy for today's lesson! beer.gif
Jared
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.