Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let there be (interior) light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
23e Heure
I'm removing the back pad on my car and dynomat-ing and carpeting the firewall.

I'd like to repurpose the existing interior light wiring, and maintain some illumination in the cabin..

Interested to see what approach others have taken, and how you have done it... under dash lighting? alternative light unit(s) on the firewall? re-utilizing the original interior light?

...Illuminate me please! (Please no chandeliers though!)

IPB Image
stugray
I used to use one of these when I still had the cig lighter:

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
People have run the original wires under carpeting that replaced the back-pad, then mounted a different interior light directly on the firewall in roughly the original location. I know there are pictures out there somewhere, but I don't know where.

The original light needs room behind it for the working bits. You would need a light you can mount on a flat surface. The older setup I remember had a housing that stuck out from the firewall an inch or so, but I bet you could get some LED lights now that were very very thin.

Joe Bob has run LED lights under the dash. He says it works nicely.

--DD
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 9 2017, 09:40 AM) *

People have run the original wires under carpeting that replaced the back-pad, then mounted a different interior light directly on the firewall in roughly the original location.

I run 911 interior lights at the base between the two seats because the original higher location isn't double walled so, no real way to mount unless it's a base mount light.

Done this on a few cars with great factory look results...

IPB Image

Here's some install shots...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
This is exactly what I needed to see! Love it!
partwerks
Was going to try and use a mirror with map lights.
23e Heure
Just revisiting this thread and wanted to say thanks to Eric for the great response with photos. shades.gif

This is now exactly the approach I am going to try and take.
Albeit with mine I'll use a later 911 interior light with black surround instead of earlier chrome surround, to help it blend into the firewall carpet.

Will post photos when I'm done.

mlindner
Eric that looks great. I want to finish my fire wall off with that type of fabric. What is it and how easy to apply. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.