Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prayers for members Harvey and Al Weidman.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dlkawashima
The irony is this was predicted long ago ...

SACRAMENTO BEE: NOVEMBER 27, 2005
Oroville Dam contains a flaw, some critics assert, one that could damage the structure during a major flood
and threaten downstream communities. That flaw is the dam's emergency spillway, which empties onto a
bare dirt hillside adjacent to the earthen-fill dam. If the emergency spillway had to be used to help quickly
drain the reservoir during a major flood, the force of water rushing over the spillway lip would violently erode
the hillside, washing out roads and power lines below, according to both the critics and the state agency
that operates the dam. It also could undermine the foundation of the spillway, a potential disaster ...

Click to view attachment

Cracker
Anyone who could rub a few brain cells together could figure that one out. Ridiculous.

PS: Not your post...the lack of erosion control on the hillside. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the run-off carving up the terrain and washing out the road. Incompetence of the highest order...maybe the engineers of the day where simply masquerading as such - or slept at a Holiday Inn.

T

[quote name='dlkawashima' date='Feb 15 2017, 09:03 PM' post='2455045']
The irony is this was predicted long ago ...
GregAmy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 15 2017, 09:07 PM) *
PS: Not your post...the lack of erosion control on the hillside. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the run-off carving up the terrain and washing out the road. Incompetence of the highest order...maybe the engineers of the day where simply masquerading as such - or slept at a Holiday Inn.

I was told by "someone in the know" that all that erosion damage, such as the washing away of the parking lot road and erosion of the hillside, was "expected" and "accepted" as part of the design, presumably because it was a once-in-never probability. And I agree that anyone with reasonable engineering - and 20/20 hindsight confirmation that it will happen - looks at that and says "uuuuhhh?"

That's why I'm thinking that there was no real expectation that it was ever going to be used, so there was 'no need' to spend a lot of money on it. Except they never took into consideration the possibility of spillway failure...

Hindsight is 20/20. And those responsible for the designs and/or cost cutting will, most assuredly, be roasted on the spit of hindsight history.
Cracker
At one point, at the height of the lake level rising, the incoming water was multiples of the spillway's ability to discharge - even at full flow. It was, as you say in 20/20 hindsight, foolish to design such a system. The idea that it is called an "Emergency spillway" is ironic - the apparent fact they never thought it would be used is obvious - thank God no one has paid a high price. My point regarding the damaged spillway is it doesn't matter - it would of possibly been overwhelmed regardless. Fascinating and sad at the same time.

T
SirAndy
QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 15 2017, 05:46 PM) *
As God would have it......the storms held off a week.

Not to get too off topic here but i never understood this line of thinking ...

Would you also have invoked "god" if the dam/weir/spillway had failed this past weekend?
And if so, then what difference would that make either way?
And if there isn't really a difference, then why go there in the first place?
confused24.gif
Cracker
...that can get it off topic alright - "God" talk will, correct! C'mon Andy...that's like poking someone with a sequoia - subtle it is not.

T
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 15 2017, 07:43 PM) *
that's like poking someone with a sequoia

It just so happens that i have both the sequoia and the stick for poking ...
laugh.gif

Cracker
Thank God you had that picture...hilarious! rolleyes.gif

T

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2017, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 15 2017, 07:43 PM) *
that's like poking someone with a sequoia

It just so happens that i have both the sequoia and the stick for poking ...
laugh.gif

mbseto
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 15 2017, 06:12 PM) *

Mother Nature has little empathy for the hubris oversight of Man.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myqSETD5_bs
AZBanks
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 15 2017, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Feb 15 2017, 05:46 PM) *
As God would have it......the storms held off a week.

Not to get too off topic here but i never understood this line of thinking ...

Would you also have invoked "god" if the dam/weir/spillway had failed this past weekend?
And if so, then what difference would that make either way?
And if there isn't really a difference, then why go there in the first place?
confused24.gif

Because God is in control either way.
Cracker
...here it goes! It will be a SB thread soon... confused24.gif poke.gif

T
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 16 2017, 02:21 PM) *
poke.gif

My stick is clearly bigger than your stick ...
laugh.gif
Cracker
You better watch out Andy...you might be expelled for talking about "sticks"! rolleyes.gif

T

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2017, 05:41 PM) *

poke.gif

laugh.gif

AZBanks
QUOTE(Cracker @ Feb 16 2017, 03:51 PM) *

You better watch out Andy...you might be expelled for talking about "sticks"! rolleyes.gif

T

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 16 2017, 05:41 PM) *

poke.gif

laugh.gif

Most of us on 914world have, and some of even drive, Porsche's. The whole word thinks we are "compensating" for the size of our sticks.
piratenanner.gif
914_teener
agree.gif

Cmon Andy.....I.ve met you....I.m an engineer and you are trolling for some long diatribe from me. I AINT biting.

We can talk over a beer sometime and we can discuss duality.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.