Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome Rear Bumper Top Fitting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mowog4
Hi
I am installing the rubber bumper top on a pre-73 bumper, there is a stud in the center that appear to not be attached to anything. I saw mention of a mounting tab, but have been unable to find a listing for one. Any help is appreciated.
cary
It's welded to the earlier taillight panel.
Mark Henry
Is that the back of your car in your avatar?
Looks like someone removed/cut off the little tab/bracket that sticks out and that's where the center bolt goes. It would have been welded to the underside of the bumper recess.

I'd fab up a bracket, drill a couple of holes and mount it.
I know sucks, but you'll have to do something, it's the only support the pad has in the center.
Mowog4
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 13 2017, 06:22 AM) *

Is that the back of your car in your avatar?
Looks like someone removed/cut off the little tab/bracket that sticks out and that's where the center bolt goes. It would have been welded to the underside of the bumper recess.

I'd fab up a bracket, drill a couple of holes and mount it.
I know sucks, but you'll have to do something, it's the only support the pad has in the center.

That is the back of my car, luckily the fear of drilling into the new paint has long left me. Any pictures of what the bracket should look like?
Ed
steuspeed
Bumper top tab.
colingreene
I drilled mine with paint on it, its not the end of the world to do it, i bolted the bracket to the bumper top then marked where the holes needed to go and drilled once i removed the tabs.
I used seam sealant between the parts and a large gauge pop rivet with a washer on the back to hold it on.
Without it the center of the bumper top sags and looks terrible.
My car being a 76 I had no idea that it was there so i was somewhat in the same boat you are.
Its easy enough to do, dont panic.
Mowog4
QUOTE(colingreene @ Feb 13 2017, 05:22 PM) *

I drilled mine with paint on it, its not the end of the world to do it, i bolted the bracket to the bumper top then marked where the holes needed to go and drilled once i removed the tabs.
I used seam sealant between the parts and a large gauge pop rivet with a washer on the back to hold it on.
Without it the center of the bumper top sags and looks terrible.
My car being a 76 I had no idea that it was there so i was somewhat in the same boat you are.
Its easy enough to do, dont panic.

Did you cut a bracket off of another car or just fab one up?
Thanks,
Ed
branston
Another photo of the little bracket:

Click to view attachment

boxstr
Ed, good evening I may have a tab at CAMP, I will check tomorrow.
Craig at CAMP
Mowog4
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 13 2017, 08:42 PM) *

Ed, good evening I may have a tab at CAMP, I will check tomorrow.
Craig at CAMP

Thanks Craig
colingreene
I think i got my tab from Bruce Stone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.