Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumblebee barn find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JawjaPorsche
I admire your integrity. beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 24 2017, 09:36 PM) *

Mike, I take it your a flipper? Otherwise you wouldn't take such offense at my statement. No, I was never an alter boy but I was in the Cub Scouts. Lol

It's not BS and I take offense at your accusation. I could have originally bought the car for $3k but after I did the research, I shared it with the previous owner. Then I made him another offer based on that information. It was SIGNIFICANTLY more. If you really need to know what I paid to make judgement on me then I don't need to know you.

And yes, People get screwed all the time. I've been into cars since all I could afford were matchbox cars. I don't screw people. A little karma goes a long way.

Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 24 2017, 06:36 PM) *

Mike, I take it your a flipper? Otherwise you wouldn't take such offense at my statement. No, I was never an alter boy but I was in the Cub Scouts. Lol

It's not BS and I take offense at your accusation. I could have originally bought the car for $3k but after I did the research, I shared it with the previous owner. Then I made him another offer based on that information. It was SIGNIFICANTLY more. If you really need to know what I paid to make judgement on me then I don't need to know you.

And yes, People get screwed all the time. I've been into cars since all I could afford were matchbox cars. I don't screw people. A little karma goes a long way.

Yeah I flipped a ton of Porsches on this website and others. It is my only source of income, got to feed the family!
Bgyglfr
Well Mike, im glad to know that you aren't a flipper and you have a day job. I have a day job too. I have the luxury of being able to afford to buy my cars without stealing them from people.

What gets me is why you felt the need to come on my thread and call me a liar when you don't even know me. Naturally, I chose to defend myself and I accused you of being something you are not. For that l, I apologize. You can see how I feel about your statement. I get to Chicago pretty regularly. I would like to extend an invitation to grab a beer or lunch sometime. I would be interested to see your cars as well. I think that if you knew me personally you would have not made the statement.
Bgyglfr
I snuck out to the shop again today. Not a lot of progress but I did clean up the interior. I think it turned out good. The carpet is in decent shape but it has that distinct rodent smell. Hopefully i can shampoo that out. Otherwise I will replace the carpets.
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 25 2017, 09:18 AM) *

Well Mike, im glad to know that you aren't a flipper and you have a day job. I have a day job too. I have the luxury of being able to afford to buy my cars without stealing them from people.

What gets me is why you felt the need to come on my thread and call me a liar when you don't even know me. Naturally, I chose to defend myself and I accused you of being something you are not. For that l, I apologize. You can see how I feel about your statement. I get to Chicago pretty regularly. I would like to extend an invitation to grab a beer or lunch sometime. I would be interested to see your cars as well. I think that if you knew me personally you would have not made the statement.

No worries just pullin your "Newbie" chain. Let me know when you are coming up this way, there are some good cars and coffee's in this area and a lot of 914 guys. Check this website out: https://fuelfed.wordpress.com/
wndsnd
I know Bgyglfr, and will tell you all he is a sincere and honest guy. I bought my engine from him, more than fair, and he delivered it to Hershey for me. We have shared a beer and have kept in touch through the years. I know what he could have got the car for as we have discussed it over the last year. I also know what he paid for it and he was more than fair to the PO..

Guys, looks like he found a nice car at a fair price. I hope he gets it running and brings it to Hershey this year.

Bgyglfr
Thanks John, I'm going to do my best to get out to Hershey. Should be a fun road trip in this car. What I'm really looking forward to is a ride in your car. It's got to be incredible with the work you put into that motor.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 25 2017, 06:41 PM) *

I snuck out to the shop again today. Not a lot of progress but I did clean up the interior. I think it turned out good. The carpet is in decent shape but it has that distinct rodent smell. Hopefully i can shampoo that out. Otherwise I will replace the carpets.
Click to view attachment

I've had great luck washing rugs with supermarket carpet shampoo.
If your rugs are not worn out or threadbare remove them and lay them out in the driveway.
Follow the directions for the shampoo using warm water and scrub away.
Rinse w/fresh water and hang out to dry.
You'll be surprised.
Oh yeah, nice car !
87m491
5 will get you 10 that the smell is not just the carpets. Rodents love places under cover and tight. Check all the heater hoses, vents and of course the fan housing. Good luck!

QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 25 2017, 03:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Bgyglfr
That is for the tips. I'm going to try and get it up on a lift tomorrow so we can assess the brakes and fuel lines etc.

After 17 years sitting I'm guessing the field injection will be a mess. What kind of issues have you guys seen from injection systems that have been sitting?
wndsnd
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 26 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

If your rugs are not worn out or threadbare remove them and lay them out in the driveway.
You'll be surprised.
Oh yeah, nice car !

If after the clean you can leave it out in the fresh air and good sun - Works wonders.
mepstein
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 26 2017, 02:22 PM) *

That is for the tips. I'm going to try and get it up on a lift tomorrow so we can assess the brakes and fuel lines etc.

After 17 years sitting I'm guessing the field injection will be a mess. What kind of issues have you guys seen from injection systems that have been sitting?

I would replace all the fuel lines and send the injectors to mr injector to be cleaned. Use the proper fuel injection clamps for reassembly. Make sure the gas tank is clean and replace the fuel filter. Keep a fire extinguisher handy during start up - better safe than sorry.
mepstein
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Feb 26 2017, 02:53 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 26 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You'll be surprised.
Oh yeah, nice car !

If after the clean you can leave it out in the fresh air and good sun - Works wonders.

Take it to a commercial laundry mat and run it through one of their machines. If you can't do that, take it to a do it yourself carwash, soap it up and powerwash it out. Or at least soak it in a big bucket. If you don't get all the rodent residue out, it will smell every time there's humidity in the air.

You also need to run a vacuum hose from the engine compartment up the longs.
Bgyglfr
Got some time to put it on the lift today. We got it out of the barn just in time. The underside is starting to surface rust but everything is still pretty solid. We will have to do some cleaning up and sealing on the underside.

Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
The rocker covers and the bumpers all have some surface rust on the bottom edge. I'm thinking it would be best to go ahead and repaint the yellow. Anyone know the paint code for the yellow?
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
That look savable Kirk! It even has the two rubber drainage grommets at the front trunk floor intact.

What is that single tubing under the floor pan? Aluminum fuel line? Is this car carbed?
Bgyglfr
No carbs. It's fuel injected. The PO ran a new supply line under the car and used a tunnel line for the return. I just ordered a full fuel line kit and I will replace it all.
Bgyglfr
What's the opinion on repainting the yellow pieces? Clean and save as much of the original or go ahead and repaint them all?
JeffBowlsby
Paint needs to protect the metal. If it were me I would strip-clean-prime and paint the entire side valance cover in the original color. the inside surface is probably corroding worse than the exterior bottom surface in the photo. Have you pulled those valances yet? If not, be prepared for ugly, especially on the passenger side.

If you try to save the original paint you will see a line at the new-to-original interface and the original paint is probably so thin that it is not protecting the metal effectively now anyways.
Bazza
Just now saw and read this thread and wanted to add my congratulations. beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing and great job on posting pics so far!

Look forward to your progress! popcorn[1].gif
Chris H.
Looks great for an original Illinois car. You'll want to take the rockers off anyway to see what's underneath. That's where dirt and debris gets trapped. You might find some rust there but judging from the rest of the car it may not be bad. Definitely treat and repaint the rockers and also address the rust on the underside of the car. Wire wheel that rust off and put some protective paint or undercoating on there.
Bgyglfr
We dug deeper into the car today. There is good and bad to report.

Starting with the good.
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Now for the bad news. We figured out why the car was parked 17 years ago.

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/bgyglfr/...qp3pa3.mp4.html
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Mar 3 2017, 03:32 PM) *
[url=http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/bgyglfr/

confused24.gif
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 3 2017, 06:11 PM) *

confused24.gif

The link was working earlier.
Bgyglfr
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 3 2017, 06:17 PM) *

confused24.gif

Should be fixed now.
rgalla9146
So...... a few seconds of very tappy running time means ?
Very big problem.
Lots of trouble.
I'll take it off your hands.
Bgyglfr
Well. It was pretty loud. Seemed too loud to be valves to me. Scope was loudest at the right cylinder bank. Small end rod bearing maybe?
JeffBowlsby
Well at least you will know its right after you rebuild it. smile.gif
KELTY360
Cheaper than rust repair and value added when complete.
pete000
That car is not rusty imho !
Chris H.
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 3 2017, 11:06 PM) *

agree.gif Easy fix compared to rust repair. Those longs look great!
Bgyglfr
We will tear into it and see where it leads. I was ambitiously hoping to get it on the road for Hershey but that it's looking good now.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 4 2017, 06:47 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 3 2017, 11:06 PM) *

agree.gif Easy fix compared to rust repair. Those longs look great!

agree.gif I'd rather investigate a bent pushrod or loose rockershaft than weld a flexible
car any day.
It is very rusty.
I'll take it off your hands.
gandalf_025
If the engine really does have an issue that requires
a rebuild, just source a good running engine and drive it
until you get the the original engine done..
Then sell the temporary engine..

That way you won't have to rush...
Bgyglfr
Time for an update. I took some advice and looked up Brad Meyer to source an engine. Great guy. After 15 years messing with Porsche's you think I would have made a point to meet him sooner since we only live an hour apart. Long story short, we worked out a deal for a 2.0 he had in his shop. We spent the last couple nights getting it in.

Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment
Bgyglfr
Click to view attachment

Time to tear in.
turbonet
I know. You beat me by a day. Lol

QUOTE(MikeM @ Feb 24 2017, 01:41 PM) *

Turbonet...there's a few around still in Canada.
I bought this one last Sept. from a guy in Prince George.
Keep looking, they are out there!!!
MikeClick to view attachment

Bgyglfr
I finally got around to tearing into the engine. I found plenty of shavings and some metal in one of the cylinders. It had been pounding against the head but the piston took most of the punishment.

So. I'm preparing to rebuild. I've built several 911 motors and a 912 but this will be my first 914. Any advice specific to a 914 rebuild is much appreciated. I'm considering doing a mild upgrade to a 2056 with a little compression bump and mild cam upgrade? I want to keep the stock fuel injection etc.

Thoughts?
billh1963
A very young Jake Raby video.

Jake Raby Type IV video

I have it...very good tutorial. Combine that with knowledge on this board and you will be in good shape.

Sample content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OOwrsOmXJc
Bgyglfr
Thanks for the heads up. I have a copy coming my way. I will update as I get this thing going.

Btw. Any suggestions on a cam to be used with stock fuel injection?
JeffBowlsby
Sure would like to know the VIN of this LE. poke.gif
jmitro
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Jul 25 2017, 06:42 AM) *
I'm considering doing a mild upgrade to a 2056 with a little compression bump and mild cam upgrade? I want to keep the stock fuel injection etc.

Thoughts?

you might get in touch with Dion on this forum. I bought a similar engine from him that he rebuilt himself. Supposed to be good for 120hp
tracks914
Great find. I wish I had started with one like that. aktion035.gif
If you need a 2.0 cylinder head, I have one BNIB head part number 039 191 061 or 039 101 351 E. It's off a 75 but the Pollution control port can be plugged, Mine are. Make me an offer.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Mar 3 2017, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Mar 3 2017, 06:17 PM) *

confused24.gif

Should be fixed now.

Not working shocked[1].gif

Exterior/Interior looks good man. Does it smell like mice stromberg.gif ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.