Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 Ravenna Green is here!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Just arrived. And the more I go over the car, the more pleasantly surprised I am (for once!). The engine fires right up, idles smooth and provides great power without any funny noises or smells. Sounds great and drives great. Transmission shifts perfectly with no grinding. It even easily and reliably goes into first at a stop.

Very little documentation came with the car, but what I got is interesting. Seems the car was bought in Tucson, AZ and spent its first 20 years there (score!). It was then purchased by a collector in Wisconsin, who stored it in a climate controlled garage. Must be right, cause there's no signs of Wisconsin winter anywhere. He kept it for 22 years and then sold it, along with 3 other 914s to the guy I bought it from in Indiana (who also stored it in a large collector garage for a year). He never titled or registered the car, so technically I'm the 4th owner, but officially only the 3rd.

The car has had a recent repaint in the same color (Ravenna Green L65K). Engine bay and area under windshield around airbox and fuel tank look to be original paint. Unfortunately they painted the bumpers and rocker covers a non-stock finish. No signs of body damage anywhere.

The Odo says 29K miles. I'd of course say that it must've gone around and is really 129K. But some things are giving me a sneaking suspicion that it may be...could possibly be... a 29K car. Probably wishful thinking, but my 73 2.0 has 97K verified miles and also came from AZ. It's in great shape, but some things on this 74 car look a whole lot younger. Would love the brain trust's assessment or clues on what to look for. Maybe the teener equivalent of measuring teeth or counting rings wink.gif. I'll try to get some DMV info.

Consider...

– The area around the ignition lock has no scratches or marks from use.
– The plating on the trunk latches and hardware is still the correct color.
– The dash top is original and not cracked.
– The seat handles are intact.
– The A/C actually works!
– The top has no chips or scratches.
– Door cards and handles look to be original and pristine.
– The roll bar pad is perfect on top and has only one small crack underneath.
– Sail trim is undamaged.

I'll get it up on the lift tomorrow, and that should tell me a bit more.

Would love to get your thoughts...

Couple other observations...It seems to be missing the charcoal canister. It's neither up front nor in the engine bay. Not sure how where the vapor lines go yet. I don't think those ugly fabric inserts are stock...but the way they fit the headrest looks so. And what is that exhaust????

EDIT: Pics of undercarriage
https://pix.sfly.com/cEddbQ

Video link of the car running:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bljTJSk1QAA

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Looks really nice! I'd get rid of the Monza "Shin Cutter" asap though
iankarr
shin cutter?
doug_b_928
Guessing that it means that the tailpipes are perfect for cutting shins as one is walking around the car...

Looks really nice! My car was original RG but I've never seen one (or even a VW) in this colour in person. Does the colour look even better in person? I want to take mine back to RG but it's a bit controversial with the boss.
iankarr
Thanks. looks awesome in person. And my boss made the color a condition of getting another one wink.gif.
74ravenna
Wow, that is nice!
You scored big time, and no work ahead of you!

Steve
KELTY360
Looks like your search paid off. Not often you can choose your color on buying a 40+ year old car. I'm betting that 129k is the right number. The car was in AZ for the first 20 years and if we assume very little mileage after it got into the hands of collectors; 129000/20 = 6450 mi/yr. Pretty gentle useage. I think those ugly fabric inserts are a clue. The original owner wanted to drive it but couldn't stand the heat of the black vinyl seats so had it redone with something that wouldn't scorch his backside. With fabric seats and A/C it was a nice driver until something else came along as the owner got older. Obviously the original owner had the funds to take good care of it til he passed it on.

Now you get the benefit of it's pampered life. Besides driving it, the only suggestion I'd make is to paint those bumpers body color. IMHO that would really put an exclamation point on the Ravenna. driving.gif
Tom_T
Sweet! drooley.gif wub.gif

So keep it out of the NY winters & salty roads!! huh.gif

You should consider getting a nice NOS Banana or the current Dansk OEM production 2.0 OE Banana muffler o save your shins.

You may also want to clean-up or restore those "Star" steel wheels a bit to match the level of the rest of the car.

FYI - I do not think the seat inserts are original material. See here for the original choices & corduroy ....

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zPF_74F1.jpg
> just basic Brown, Tan & Black Corduroy

If you're going to actually drive it, I'd suggest that you update the DPD AC to R134 with a new-age rotary compressor which will only sap 2-3 HP - vs. 5-10 with the original York unit.

BTW - the DPD is the better of the 2 dealer installed AC, since the far left vents actually hit the driver & the controls are centered & stacked under the vent/heat sliders (& center console on cars with it) - as well as the conical shroud in the front trunk allowing you to mount the spare face-up & not raising tot floor board & not losing storage space (as with the VPC AC).

If you don't mind sharing, your price paid would help everyone on here with comps for insurance & repair claims in the future!

Great Score! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Cairo94507
Love that car! I have to agree on the Monza exhaust - hated them back in the day and still do. But that is a beautiful car. smilie_pokal.gif
iankarr
Thanks. And appreciate the suggestions. I'm not a fan of the monza either.

The COA says the seats originally had black corduroy inserts. Does Jeff Bowlsby sell those? someone else?

I'm also thinking about backdating the bumpers and going tit-less. Changing to fuchs. Maybe adding foglights...though I do dig keeping things as close to they were when they left the factory...

Tom – What else is involved with changing out the compressor? Is there some sort of flush that needs to happen when changing to R134? I've installed classic air systems, but I'm guessing that kind of changeover is job for a pro...?

I don't mind sharing the price. But first I'd love to hear guesses wink.gif.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Bgyglfr @ Feb 19 2017, 05:50 AM) *

Mike,
Think you are right. It does appear to be a LE replacement spoiler. That does help. I can just paint this one to match for now.

Bdstone914,
The sail trim is indeed black. I can check the regulator cover when I get a chance.

Ian the car looks great !
Good luck, enjoy it !
dlee6204
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 19 2017, 04:31 PM) *

Tom – What else is involved with changing out the compressor? Is there some sort of flush that needs to happen when changing to R134? I've installed classic air systems, but I'm guessing that kind of changeover is job for a pro...?

Your compressor has already been updated thumb3d.gif
Spoke
Awesome car. Very clean. Love the Ravenna green.

I had a '74 2L as well. Hated to sell it but the 930 needed a place to stay and the wife said 2 Porsches are ok, not 3. dry.gif
iankarr
Is that an early style rear bumper? Or did some 74s come with those?
mepstein
I think it could be a 29k car. One of mine was purchased with 36k and it already had a color change and the hell hole and engine shelf are rotted out.
Look at the engine and trans. At 29k, they are probably still stock and never really touched. At 129k, there must have been work done, clutch, first gear and maybe even an engine overhaul. The tin is usually crusty at 129k unless it's been redone. Also the odometer gears usually give out before 100k.

Whether you state the price or not, it has nothing to do with comps or insurance unless you're going to post the bill of sale. A statement in an internet posting isn't a comp.

Great looking car! Enjoy.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 19 2017, 04:49 PM) *

I think it could be a 29k car. One of mine was purchased with 36k and it already had a color change and the hell hole and engine shelf are rotted out.
Look at the engine and trans. At 29k, they are probably still stock and never really touched. At 129k, there must have been work done, clutch, first gear and maybe even an engine overhaul. The tin is usually crusty at 129k unless it's been redone. Also the odometer gears usually give out before 100k.

Whether you state the price or not, it has nothing to do with comps or insurance unless you're going to post the bill of sale. A statement in an internet posting isn't a comp.

Great looking car! Enjoy.

Well, I know what the seller said he was going to list it for. That being said it was priced correctly. Not a "steal" but it was what the buyer was looking for and the seller knew exactly what he had.
boxsterfan
Did you search the VIN hear on 914world?
iankarr
Iwanta914-6 gave me the lead on this, so he can't play the guessing game wink.gif.

The owner was planning on redoing the interior, color sanding, etc and listing the car later this spring. Since I was willing to take the car as-is, he lowered his asking price by the estimated cost of that work.

Still...Iwanta is right. He knew what he had, and I knew what it was worth. In the end, I paid maybe 10% more than I wanted to. But now that it's in my driveway, I have no regrets.
iankarr
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Feb 19 2017, 06:21 PM) *

Did you search the VIN hear on 914world?

Yep. It wasn't in the database. It is now though...wink.gif
Cairo94507
$15K?????
JimFitz33
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 19 2017, 06:49 PM) *

Ian....the 74's had front and rear tits stock I believe. Is that what you mean?
mepstein
QUOTE(JimFitz33 @ Feb 19 2017, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 19 2017, 06:49 PM) *

Ian....the 74's had front and rear tits stock I believe. Is that what you mean?

It looks like a 1970 bumper (sharp edges) with tits added on. I might be wrong if it's just the light. It's so easy to damage the fender from a light tap. It used to be cheaper to replace than repair. The early bumpers were nothing special until they became needed to restore early 914-6's.
iankarr
Exactly what I was thinking. It's definitely a sharp edge bumper.
SKL1
That's weird with the early bumper but with the rear tits- why would someone drill holes in a perfectly good older style bumper and add those damned things?
I had the my front bumper on my '73 rechromed AFTER filling the holes from the front tits!
McLovin
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Feb 19 2017, 11:49 PM) *

That's weird with the early bumper but with the rear tits- why would someone drill holes in a perfectly good older style bumper and add those damned things?
I had the my front bumper on my '73 rechromed AFTER filling the holes from the front tits!

A body shop would do it back in the day. A period repair, to put it back to how it looked before an accident...using parts available.
Larmo63
I'd get 2.0 Fuchs on it, ditch the rack, and replace the Monza with a banana. Lower it a bit to give it a better stance, get the seats properly done, and call it good.

I love it.

When are you going to tell us what you paid?
rgalla9146
Definitely an early rear bumper which was more common as a body color item than chromed.
Oddly, I think the bumper you need is more common in chrome than black.
iankarr
Yeah, I'm probably going to go with the SS ones that Mark Henry is group buying. This car deserves that

Largo...Lets have a bunch more guesses before I spill the beans. More fun that way. The person coming closest gets those green grandma sofa inserts as a prize! So far only cairo has put up a number...15K. Any other takers? Come on...those inserts are suitable for framing!
JOEPROPER
Given all the information provided... I'd say $16,995.07. Am I close?

Good luck with that car. Looks GREAT!
iankarr
Hey Joe... thanks for guessing.

Is your car done???? when will Jim and I (and the other westchester teeners) see you on the road??
914Next
I'm breaking the $20k barrier. $20,500? Adding $3k for the Ravenna original color on what appears to be a pretty straight car.
napasteve
Great car and color Ian. And it's nice to see your search efforts pay off. I'm guessing 17K.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 20 2017, 10:10 AM) *

Hey Joe... thanks for guessing.

Is your car done???? when will Jim and I (and the other westchester teeners) see you on the road??

What ? no invite for NJ guys ?

..... I'm not going to reveal the price.
Porschef
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Feb 20 2017, 10:01 AM) *

Given all the information provided... I'd say $16,995.07. Am I close?

Good luck with that car. Looks GREAT!

I'll go $16999.14

confused24.gif
76-914
Wayne
I'll go with $21914.20 piratenanner.gif
Cal
Considering the other Porsches that the previous owner had in his garage I'm going to say he knew what the car was worth. I'm going to say $22K.

iwanta914-6
He also has a 72 1.7L for sale, but said it needs a lot of work including rocker and floor work. Priced right at $2700 though.

Click to view attachment
doug_b_928
$16,500

And my wife thought it was quite humerous that your's required RG; I offered to show her the thread as proof... I think she's finally warming to the idea.
PanelBilly
iankarr
Rgalla...we def need a tri-state area 914 cars and coffee. Once the weather gets warmer I have a great location.
iankarr
Here are some pics of the undercarriage.

So far it looks super solid. Amazingly, no leaks at the pushrod tubes, around the taco plate or oil drain. The only leak seems to be a slight one coming from the rear main seal, dripping through the transmission opening. The fluid smells like regular oil...not gear oil.

The right side flapper box doesn't have the "mushroom" part on it. But the rest of the ducting looks pretty new.

Been inspecting and poking around but no big surprises so far.

FI is new to me, so if any of you see something cool or not in these pics, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

https://pix.sfly.com/cEddbQ
Rsjg911
Looks like a $25,000 car to me. RG worth more, don't you agree?
Rav914
Nice car! Welcome to the club. I'd wager it's a 29K car. I bought mine with 48K on the clock from the original owner, and it looked similar in condition. Nice find.

Rav914
Stupid phone pics.
iankarr
Even sideways, you have a great looking car, Rav! Thanks for the pic...now I know what mine will look like with 2.0 Fuchs...

Great seeing all the price guesses. The answer coming soon....
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Feb 21 2017, 09:23 AM) *

Nice car! Welcome to the club. I'd wager it's a 29K car. I bought mine with 48K on the clock from the original owner, and it looked similar in condition. Nice find.

Click to view attachment
turk22
selfishly hoping it was north of 20k, but I'm guessing...

19149.14 beerchug.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 21 2017, 03:01 PM) *

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif w00t.gif wub.gif

Big Len
Hope you're attending Hershey in April with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.