Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: registering a 75 as a 74 in ca
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
there is a slight chance i might be moving los angelas. the build date on my 75 is 11/74. I would like to take the car with me if i move. I do not however want to cat it, smog it, and air pump it. Is it possible to register it as a 74?
swood
No, becuase it IS a '75. Just non-op it till early next year and see if our '75's roll of the smog list. I think it's likely...but I don't hear that fat lady singing yet.
Jeffs9146
You could fudge and buy a 74 roller the same color and use the plates!!..................did I say that!! No that wasnt mmmmmeee!!

Jeff
garyh
Time to bug everyone on the list about about SB708 again.

There is a bill in the California Senate to roll the smog exemption back to 1960

You read that right: nineteen-sixty. one-nine-six-zero.

Which means each and every 914 in CA will either need to get smogged, of get "historic car" plates.

Have -you- called your representatives to complain?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(garyh @ Jun 29 2003, 06:26 PM)
Time to bug everyone on the list about about SB708 again.

There is a bill in the California Senate to roll the smog exemption back to 1960

You read that right: nineteen-sixty. one-nine-six-zero.

Which means each and every 914 in CA will either need to get smogged, of get "historic car" plates.

Have -you- called your representatives to complain?

Historic plates don't get you off on smog checks....they can be had for 25 year old cars....smog is a rolling 30 year old exemption.
EdwardBlume
Try and pass smog unless you don't think you can. If you don't pass, take it to a judge and fight it.
tod914
Ok with that said. Is there any1 in CA whom passed smog with a 75-76 2.0 that isnt smogged, cat-ed-ed, or has an air pump on????? headbang.gif
swood
It most likely won't pass the visual test with missing "smog" equipment. That's just the way it goes...
Jeffs9146
Do a preliminary test and DO NOT have it sent to DMV via the smog station! If it is labled a gross poluter you will have to jump through hoops to get it fixed!

Jeff
scotty
Does a 49-state car have to meet CA rules if you move there (Example: 49-state 914 1.8 had no cat, no air pump... would the owner have to install said equipment when it didn't even come on the car from the factory)? unsure.gif

If so, that REALLY sucks! mad.gif
rhodyguy
i don't know about cal rules. if the cat has been removed, you could be in for a nightmare. how long could you get away with jersey plates in cal if you were there on a "temporary" basis?

kevin
tod914
Thats what I was thinking Kevin. Our state inspections are good for 2 years. Registration is done on an annual basis. So, without getting a cali drivers license, in theory 2 years from the date I last have it inspected. Im pretty sure my insurance company would have some problems with that.
rhodyguy
so get a dupe nj d.l. drive home every 2 yrs for inspection. so what if you're on a "vacation" in cal. that's what you tell the ins co.

kevin
ninefourteener
Of course..... you can always "fake" the smog test.

Run it to 1/4 tank.... drop in 2 bottles of Dry Gas, dive 5 miles, run it through the smog test, then fill up the tank immediately afterwards.

A couple years back, I managed to get my Big-block El camino with straight pipes to burn cleaner than a Honda civic--LOL

The inspector looked at me a bit funny, but it passed.

Just a thought.... smile.gif
efrenv
I had my 76 2.0 smog checked last year. It passed the emissions test but failed the "visual" when the smog pump did not work (not rotating-broken bottom pulley shaft) wacko.gif . Epoxied the rubber coupling at the bottom pulley connecting to the fan housing wink.gif , took it back for smog check the second time and passed. It appears that the computer print-out has all the smog emissions devices that are supposed to be part of the car and the smog mechanic knows what device to look for. Good Luck driving.gif .
GWN7
What is "Dry Gas"?
garyh
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 29 2003, 06:42 PM)
smog is a rolling 30 year old exemption.

Pay attention, bright-eyes; "they" are trying to eliminate the 30-year rolling exemption, and move the 'grandfather' date back to 1960.

Here. Read this: SB 708

Sheesh. Where did you say your day job was?
ninefourteener
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jun 30 2003, 08:00 AM)
What is "Dry Gas"?

Not exactly sure... I think it is pretty much just alcohol...but don't quote me on that.

You can buy it at any cheezy auto parts store..... it's actually called "dry gas".... comes in a blue bottle (at least the stuff I bought did), and is in the section with all the fuel and oil additives.
rhodyguy
so in cal, even if you meet the sniff test and aren't over polluting, you fail the visual, the pooch is screwed? no wonder i had to pay $2.23 for mid range gas 2 weeks ago in trinidad.

kevin
garyh
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 30 2003, 09:09 AM)
so in cal, even if you meet the sniff test and aren't over polluting, you fail the visual, the pooch is screwed?

In California, you must pass the visual -first-.

The sniffer test comes after.

And FWIW, "NLA" is not a valid reason to not have the part on your car. (I have seen then require smog equipment that, according to documentation from the car maker, never existed.)
ninefourteener
Sorry...Not trying to give you bad advice.... I wasn't familiar with the way they do things in CA.

Sounds awful.

May all the smog-test nazis be forced to drive Gremlins gunner.gif
tod914
In California, you must pass the visual -first

ok so i have the girls from baywatch bring the car in, then it should pass?
seanery
It's getting harder and harder, but find someone that, uh, ummm, knows someone...wink wink nudge nudge...
scotty
I have seen then require smog equipment that, according to documentation from the car maker, never existed.

headbang.gif AAAAAAaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!
my15window
I just finished my first motor, carbed, new cam, headers 009. then they passed the original smog law saying I had to remove everything and go back to stock it then turned into my weekend project. finally they released the 73s 'damned democrats' finger.gif
tod914
The job offer for me out there, is on a per project hire. So, I think im ok with the Jersey plates for some time. I remember last time I lived there, I drove a really nice maluga 75 2.0 with smogg etc.
on it. OMG I couldnt believe how bad that choked the motor. I would be scared to pull out on a freeway with that crap on it.
fuch toy
QUOTE(garyh @ Jun 30 2003, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 29 2003, 06:42 PM)
smog is a rolling 30 year old exemption.

Pay attention, bright-eyes; "they" are trying to eliminate the 30-year rolling exemption, and move the 'grandfather' date back to 1960.

Here. Read this: <a href="http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_0701-0750/sb_708_bill_20030221_introduced.html">SB 708</a>

Sheesh. Where did you say your day job was?

First off, I am a COUNTY AIR WEENIE. Not a STATE NAZI. You guys really should refrain from using that term. It's insulting, insensitive and demeaning to both the people who work in the industy and ones that suffered under the Nazis.

I have nothing to do with car smog rules. I enforce rules on stationary sources that emit pollutants. That means everything without wheels (except trains, boats and off road construction equipment). I also go 12 miles offshore and regulate the oil platforms.

Second off, they have been trying to repeal the 30 year rolling exemption since it was passed. It has ALWAYS failed. The legislators that propose it are doing payback for support of other bills that DID pass.

I have made it a hobby to keep an eye on smog rules and equipment for cars. Especially add on ones from the 70s and early 80s.

Once the car industry started making engines that could pass w/o air pumps the engines got back to pre 70s horse power. I support no mods on these cars. I also appluad the fact that replacement smog stuff is required for 20 years and 100K warrenties on it.

I disagree that the States should require low useage vintage cars to maintain crappy add on equipment that was designed to last 10 years max and then not available from the manufacturer as replacement parts.

THAT is BULLSHIT. If they pass the sniffer, cool....bad NLA equipment....they should be exempt.

Now an earlier poster asked about a 49 state 1.8. He would be required to have a cat only. The 75 1.8 CA edition did not have a smog pump. Only the 2.0s did.
scotty
Mike:

Thanks for answering my question (about a 49-state having to "upgrade" to CA rules)... harsh!

On all that other crap: hang in there and have one on me! beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
so if you have a 1.7 or 1.8 case code built to 2.0 internals you can sneak through? like it or hate it the smog rules were put inplace for a reason. relax mike, i get what you're saying. got roof?

i just killing time til the flaps open the phone lines. hate getting dirty before i go on the hunt.

kevin
JWest
so if you have a 1.7 or 1.8 case code built to 2.0 internals you can sneak through?

Nope, because the 1.8 had L-jet. I'm sure the smog Na..., oops, I means clean air checker dudes, will have the info to tell L-jet from D-jet. You could build a 2.0 L-jet, but that's a whole 'nuther story...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.