Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 budget, is your 914 putting you in Debt?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dead Air
URY914 says something like
"building the lightest 914 in history" I'm building the "cheapest" 914 in history. All told, the car MINT will only bring $7000 to $8000 resale though it will never be for sale, or when I'm dead! I'll have $500 to $600 in the paint and another $700 in the engine, and that's it!!
It's only a freaking car and kinda ugly, at that. I have an '84 RX-7 that only cost me $400 so far and it's in VG condition! Think about it, there are no nice lines on the 914. It's how the car drives that has us all amused.
What are guys you thinking? A $7000 engine? $3200 in suspension upgrades? Another $2000 in the interior a $2000 paint job? and still have an $8000 car on a GOOD day!! If the frame is solid and it doesn't piss alot of oil, consider yourself lucky.
I have a regular job, I work regular hours, I make a regular wage. As you know I've spent my evenings working on this car and I see it's restoration as another JOB. Not a second coming!
Dead Air
Correction $4000 for the rx-7.
Bleyseng
My son poured $10k into his 84 Turbo RX7 after he bought it from me for $1500. It was in VG condition too.

For the 914 money I hold up 7/11 once a month...hell, they got lots of money just sitting there going to waste!

wink.gif
Bleyseng
heres the motor
Dead Air
Hey there.
I have been thinking that a ported 13B with Webers and a Ind, rear susp. would be pretty sweet! drooley.gif
And maybe a short shifter and some fifteen inch wheels......
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 3 2005, 01:27 PM)
Someone elses post about refinancing his house to get some money for his 914 got me to thinking....

How do most people budget for repairs or upgrades to thier 914s??

For me, it's mostly a few hundred bucks a month I can spare cash wise with a large $1000 purchase or so on my credit card that I know I can pay it off within 3 months or so (or until my wife sees my statement and yells at me smile.gif )

Has anyone really done a re-fi and spend $10K or more on their 914 in just a few months?

What about just going on a shopping spree with credit cards and just deal with paying off the $20K in a hundred years or file for bankruptcancy (I do not condone that)

Just for the record....

I re-fi'd my home because of favorable rates and appreciation. And to drop my monthly.
It just so happened that I could scrape some off the top for Cr crd debt pay off.
As well as a little gift to myself for working so damn hard for so damn long. ohmy.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif
to apply to my 914. Of course. biggrin.gif
Like a man once said, "Wine is fine, but liquor is quicker". Oh, wrong saying......

"Money is great but you can't take it with you. Memories last forever. And if they don't, you won't care."
/L.
I work any overtime at work I can and then there is always an income tax return and then if I really need a couple hundred, I change my W-2 for a couple of paychecks. But best of all my mechanic lets me pay when ever I can. I've known him for awhile, but he is a Porsche mechanic. Mucho moneys when I HAVE to use him. I'm just lucky to have a 914. wink.gif Are there any more Sugar Daddy's around anymore?? Maybe I can clean his house for a few extra bucks... laugh.gif
jonwatts
I'm selling my truck to free up a car payment. Hauling the occasional load doesn't warrant a V8 as a daily driver.

However the home line of credit is also very tempting. What's $10k in upgrades compared to a $100k multi-room remodel?

Irresponsibly yours,

Jon
Chris914n6
the 914n6 has an unlimited budget, but I don't so...

1. do the work yourself, it takes longer to spend the money wink.gif
2. only do the things you need to (ex- it could definately use paint, but it doesn't need it smile.gif
3. keep in mind that if you lose the car somehow, you will need to put all that time into a new one - that keeps it simple for me, I hate doing things twice.
4. I have a side job slush fund - the cash goes for 'nice' things as long as I have 3 months of bills in the bank.
5. Be cheap, but that takes practice and patience
6. have a written road map - it helps me prioritise the spending so I'll have what I need when I'm ready use it.

Hmm, I think this is the longest post I've ever written, hope someone is helped by it blink.gif
jonwatts
Oh, and of course there's the embezelling, blackmail, and involuntary organ donation; but who doesn't do that?

Save / invest for years and years... spend only what you can.
When the times right, write a check for the toys that you always wanted with out blinking an eye.

Gotta start some where wink.gif
pete-stevers
Ok I will tell you my secret....well you see... if you buy a bag of potatoes for 1.75 and you sell it for 2.99 ....how many bags of potatoes equal a 3.0??? wink.gif
spartan apples are bought at 28 cents a pound sold at 59 cents a pound, on special.....how many pounds for a sc front end..... wink.gif
Farmer sausage.....hot comodity round here....traded some for a set of munched 16s sixes and sevens.....
Became good friends with the A tire guy "Mike" from NTW and got a great deal on tires...His daughter was in the hospital long term with Easton... he also fixed the munched 16 s:D
also an added bonus we get 60cents per banana box...from the apple growers.....
how many banana boxes does it take to buy a sweet little Lincon welder with gas....
One day id like to open a few of these shops in Seattle idea.gif idea.gif its all about the turnover ratio!! cool_shades.gif
neo914-6
Debt, Hell yes!
I might as well put Visa and MC on my show car since they are my high interest rate "sponsors". laugh.gif I have and will leverage savings, LOC, stock and my cars. I'm on a mission...from g
72914S
My resto started with three cars given to me in exchange for work done for a friend,ten years ago.In that time I bought 1 more ($700.00 roller)and traded work for 1 more (really love the barter system).I swapped services for a paint job,traded and sold spare parts for other pieces I needed (or wanted) MANAGMENT says "no funds out of the house hold budget".Total moneys spent are under $4,000.Now I`m looking for tires,any tire guys out their needing there patio resceened or their house painted? signed:Cheap SOB
Steve Thacker
I use military tactics and improvised munitions to knock off banks in my spare time to feed my habit...... laugh.gif

Seriously I find classic cars in non-restorable condition and I part them out. The rest comes from computer work on the side "found money". The Mrs just lets me spend what I wish, figuring I work hard making it.

This to her is a safe hobby, better than drink'in, tittie bars and stray women.... laugh.gif
72914S
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ May 4 2005, 05:35 AM)

This to her is a safe hobby, better than drink'in, tittie bars and stray women.... laugh.gif

Here too!
J P Stein
As much OT as I want at the Lazy B.....the problem is I can only stand my regular 40 a week. biggrin.gif
Sundays are a buck a minute. ....life is too short....
Trekkor
I have disposable income. wink.gif

What comes in I dispose of.

KT
Brando
i work as many hours as I can at one job. The second one is fun-money. It doesn't help the fun-money job is spent around Porsches and parts all day. It's like making a kid with a sweet-tooth work in a candy store. Sure I get a discount ... means I can get more for a bit less! Brand new brake components, all around this past monday... $310 for everything! And this new engine fiasco... nearly liquidated all of my personal savings. I take about $100-$200 out of each month's pay that isn't spent on bills just to use on my 914 for fun or upgrades or savings.

It will never end.

-- anyone have a winning lotto ticket? I aim to make the first $1m 914... blink.gif screwy.gif
914fire
QUOTE (Steve Thacker @ May 4 2005, 06:35 AM)
I use military tactics and improvised munitions to knock off banks in my spare time to feed my habit...... laugh.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.