Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing a 6 conversion the 'right' way.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gint
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 5 2005, 07:34 AM)
Ok, in the interest of 'knowing'...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33615

Would that be a good engine?

I'll be bidding on that one.

Coupla rubes bid it up another $1500 today with 6 days left. It takes all kinds...
ArtechnikA
if anyone here winds up with this engine for 1 914 conversion project and doesn't want the 911 oil cooler and/or the 911 headers -- lemme know. i'm in the market for both...
sixnotfour

He had a min of 5k last time, no one bought it.
alot of people will bid upto 3k I am guessing

Had a buy it now 5200.00 and no one bought it.
Joe Bob
Too bad the headers are set up for an ass dragger...
Gint
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 5 2005, 04:45 PM)
if anyone here winds up with this engine for 1 914 conversion project and doesn't want the 911 oil cooler and/or the 911 headers -- lemme know. i'm in the market for both...

Email me and let me know what they're worth to ya Rich. I'm serious about bidding on that mill. I put a $25 feeler out this morning so I could get answers from the seller (I've found it helps when you're at least on the bidders list), but I won't bid any more until towards the end of the auction.
Gint
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ May 5 2005, 04:47 PM)

He had a min of 5k last time, no one bought it.
alot of people will bid upto 3k I am guessing

Had a buy it now 5200.00 and no one bought it.

It's already there.

Any body have item numbers or links to the previous auctions?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 5 2005, 04:45 PM)

Rich,
I got the oil cooler off of my 2.4 sitting in a box. Make me a real cheap offer and I will ship it to 'ya.

Aaron Cox
ewwww.. CIS biggrin.gif
sixnotfour

Its the same with the exception of the CIS he would take off for 150.00
and no clutch or headers

Bidders was 0
Gint
QUOTE (sixnotfour @ May 5 2005, 04:59 PM)

Its the same with the exception of the CIS he would take off for 200.00

I'd like to look at the bidder list and the numbers. Any links or item numbers?
J P Stein
NIKOSIL?
200+ hp with a 1 point compression bump?
Why go with JE pistons & stock cams & CIS?....to do it cheep is the only reason I can think of. A core price would be gud.

Al Meredith
Ditto on Rich Johnson and Kennedy. My son has done many conversions of all kinds of cars and told me that the Johnson setup was great. If you don't do your own work I think the Oiling system will be the most expensive part.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE ("Z" @ May 5 2005, 05:50 PM)
Too bad the headers are set up for an ass dragger...

i've got a set of 914.6 headers, but i need something in the short term to replace my holey HE's until i can afford SSI's...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 5 2005, 06:06 PM)
NIKOSIL?
200+ hp with a 1 point compression bump?
Why go with JE pistons & stock cams & CIS?....to do it cheep is the only reason I can think of. A core price would be gud.

lots of very technically competent people here and other lists can't spell worth beans.
a RoW 2,7S was 175HP with 8,5:1
Mahle won't sell you pistons alone and they don't have much in the way of higher compression 90mm's -- if you want 9,8:1 JE is the hot setup. the early CIS wasn't horrible, but it does need a pretty mild cam.

i'd want to see the invoice from CE, but this doesn't sound like a bad package at all, *if* all the stuff he says is new really is. i'm nowhere near Torrance to check it out in person, tho...
J P Stein
Mahle makes 9.5 & 10.3 ratio pistons in 90 mm.....but there's nothing "wrong" with JE, no how. It seems like an odd combo to me, that's all....like he found some JEs laying around....and them clys better be Nikasil with JEs.

A 1 point compression at that level is worth *maybe* 6-8 % boost in hp & torque.
I cain't speel worth spit either, but I can use Mr. Webster
to hep out when I need to.

Bid away, Rich biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 5 2005, 09:44 PM)
Bid away, Rich

nope - i'm headed down a similar but different path - i'm just hoping to pick up some taildragger crumbs from the parts that aren't 914-suitable.

i got in a 49-state 2,7S that i will probably try to resurrect in time for a couple of autumn events before i take the car all apart this winter. got most of the suspension bits inhouse already - been on the shelf for a year. got a couple of decisions to make on rear suspension, and then i can ship the engine parts off and start building something -- ahhh -- interesting...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ May 4 2005, 09:58 AM)
I think one of the better "small" engines you can get would be a 7R case 2.4 of some variant.

i agree with one caveat - that means you are restricted to the 73.5 7R case, which was the only 7R to be made with the 92mm cylinder spigots. since this is the case with all the updates it's the case of choice for everyone trying to build 2,0 - 2,2 - 2,4 race engines -- and it was made for just half a year. so they're commanding a bit of a premium. (i've got mine to use as a basis for the engine that will eventually go into the 914.6 ...)

many engine builders like the 4R or 5R cases because while they didn't have all the updates, they didn't have as much thermal stress in street car life either.

for this discussion, the important update was in '71: piston squirters. non-negotiable for Nikasil cylinders and a real good idea for any forged-piston performance engine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.