Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Outlook Express Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
After I got back from my race weekend I restarted the computer and began replying to emails but they don't go out. I can receive just fine.
Contacted my ISP and they recommended a virus scan, so I updated Norton and did a full scan - nothing found. One comment that made sense was regarding viruses contained in zip files, which I just got one from a friend with pictures from the weekend. Unfortunately I don't have an unzipper installed.
I get an error message that says "connection to the server failed" but incoming messages are fine.
What do I do next?
r_towle
First, make sure you have Outlook configured right.
Second, find the name of the POP server and the SMTP server that your provider gave you to configure your email system.

Should be POP.DOMAINNAME.NET
and SMTP.DOMAINNAME.NET

Go to the start>Run> type in command
Now at the prompt type ping pop.domainname.net
and ping smtp.domainname.net

If you get a response from both...post back here

Rich
ben1440
you might want to see if there is an alternate port you can use for sending mail. by default port 25 is used but various IP's are blocking it now for virus protection. 465 or 587 might be possibilities. Also, note the error message "0x800..." and google for that
tnorthern
If you are concerned about viruses go to McAfee and do their free scan, a lot of the new viruses are disabling your updates on Norton. If you know that nothing was intentionally changed in your email client I would look elsewhere for the problem.
Joe Bob
Delete everything in your outbox and try again...
r_towle
Chris,
I am tired of waiting...I gotta get some sleep

If you cant get it fixed, PM me in the morning and Ill give you a call and walk you through it.

Basically....go to microsoft product update and download all the security patches for Windows and for outlook...

There are quite a few if you have not done it in a while...they release a security patch at least once a week it seems.

Outlook is the biggest problem right now for email programs, because of the amount of users, most of the attack programs are focused on outlook.

there is also the spam programs that might be using your system as a sort of relay host...they could be forwarding alot of email through you...
I can tell you first how to spot that and second how to stop it...

1) make sure you can ping your email servers (this is the easiest step...)
2) get all the updates from microsoft.
3) send me a pm if its still broken, I will call and get you going tommorow....I need some sleep now.

Rich
ChrisFoley
Mike,
I tried your idea first but that didn't work - no change.

Rich,
I got no response with either ping. I'm not sure exactly what to expect but a window opened briefly then disappeared. Nothing came up on the black screen.
kenpolives
Hi Chris, Is next week better for you for (for me to drop the 914 off)

Don
Albany

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (kenpolives @ May 4 2005, 07:21 AM)
Hi Chris, Is next week better for you for (for me to drop the 914 off)

Don
Albany

Hi Don,
I was going to PM you today since my email is down.
Next week is fine.
ChrisFoley
Microsoft updates installed, still no change with my email.
jasons
Dump that POS outlook crap and get Mozilla Thunderbird. Its free, it will import your outlook inbox and address book, and it doesn't invite hackers. I switched from MS IE/Outlook to Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird and I can't tell you how many problems went away in my computer.
ben1440
to test connectivity to your outgoing mail server:
first in OE go tools, accounts, open your mail account and click the servers tab. note the outgoing mail server.
once you have that press start, run telnet 25
you can make sure you are using port 25 by clicking the advanced tab of you email account properties. If you get no response it all except for a blank window that comes up, that may mean your computer or your ISP is blocking traffic on port 25. If you get any response at all, even if giberish the port blocking is not the issue. I agree though, thunderbird is a GREAT idea
ChrisFoley
OK,
so I installed Thunderbird and I get the same error message.
I'll try the telnet command next. I read about that last night when I googled the error code.
ChrisFoley
I just spoke with my ISP and was told that they just learned of a change that SBC is progressively making to their SBC Global high speed internet system that is probably creating my problem. SBC isn't informing their customers of the change apparently.
Once I have the link I will follow that path next.

ar15.gif SBC
ChrisFoley
I got the problem fixed this afternoon.
SBC started blocking port 25 to my server over the weekend so I had to "opt out" of the blockage once I found out how to do that.
It didn't affect their accounts, only other servers, so my wife didn't have a problem. She has a SBC Global email account, mine is through my website ISP. I use her DSL line to get around though.
echocanyons
So Chris how did you "opt out" ?

I have had the same problem for months but I have been too lazy/disconcerned to try and fix it.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (echocanyons @ May 5 2005, 07:59 PM)
So Chris how did you "opt out" ?

I was given a link.
Funny, the port 25 opt out was included on an abuse reporting form.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.