Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Actually found a relatively rust free 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sundevil64
So last weekend a buddy and I did took a road trip to look at a couole of 914's. We liked what we saw and worked out the details and back we came with them.

We got a white one that was green and has some rust in the HH. It has yet to be determined the overall condition of the car but I think we will be alright. The other car is yellow amd repainted ,but at least the same color. So far it seems pretty clean with respect to rust. There is a lot of dust since it was stored outside in west Texas. There is a little rust in the HH but otherwise rust free. There is a little surface rust in the rear trunk but minimly so.

I pulled the motor this morning so my buddy can go through it and get it running. In the meantime I will clean and clean and go through the brakes. Once this one is road worthy we will turn our focus to the white one.
sundevil64
Here is a shot of the hell hole.
mepstein
Check the suspension console and longitudinal under the hell hole. That's the big problem once the hell hole goes bad. The water and battery acid washes over this areas, into the seams and they tend to rust from the inside out.

welcome.png
Mark Henry
You know what they say about 914's...The rust is free. biggrin.gif
Or "Pre-rusted from the factory". laugh.gif
sundevil64
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 4 2017, 12:04 PM) *

Check the suspension console and longitudinal under the hell hole. That's the big problem once the hell hole goes bad. The water and battery acid washes over this areas, into the seams and they tend to rust from the inside out.

welcome.png

I checked it and it is solid. I will post pics later. I need to pull the seat and check out the floor boards.
wndsrfr
Great score, spent my honeymoon years in Austin & San Angelo....no rust, just dust! welcome.png
sundevil64
Click to view attachment
sundevil64
Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
Rust free crust free ar15.gif
sundevil64
Well I finally found the rust. It isn't that bad. The passenger floor needs a patch, a 3" hole on the fire wall where the passenger longitudinal runs and a small hole in the longitudinal. All in all not bad. I scoped the longitudinal through
the small hole and it looks fine. There is still quite a bit of original primer visible and the heater tube looks very good.

I tried to post some pics, but apparently I am at my limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.