Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone replace the speedo cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
I'm working on my '74 1.8 and among other things, the speedo cable housing was cracked at the angle drive so I ordered a new one from Pelican.

I go to replace it by cutting the damaged end off and pulling the cable into the cabin.
I haven't yet disconnected the other end from the speedo. I figured I'd do all the dirty work under the car first.

As I go to feed the new cable from under the car into the interior, the end that connects to the speedo won't fit through the opening in the firewall - it's too big.

The end that connects to the trans is even bigger. The Hayes manual is no help. Not even a picture.

NOTE: I purchased the cheap GEMO product vs OEM.

Later today I hope to pull the speedo end and see if it's smaller but has anyone had this same issue or am I missing something simple here...? WTF.gif

I'll also call Pelican and see if they can help.

Thanks,
Chris
Jett
I'm replacing the speedo cable this week and the Porsche OEM cablr just arrived. I ordered through AA because Pelecan wanted an additional 20% to order from Germany.

I can take a picture of the end if you like.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 7 2017, 07:48 AM) *

I'm replacing the speedo cable this week and the Porsche OEM cablr just arrived. I ordered through AA because Pelecan wanted an additional 20% to order from Germany.

I can take a picture of the end if you like.

Please! And thank you!
mepstein
It's always worth checking the dealer. Mine doesn't charge for shipping and most parts show up in a day or 2.
ConeDodger
What you're not getting is that in your case, you should go digital.

Check out Clay's GPS based solution.
Darren C
IPB Image
Optimusglen
This is what the parts book shows the speedo cable looking like. Later year/s are two piece with a box in between.

IPB Image

Does yours not look like this?

Maybe one of the ends can be removed?
Dave_Darling
The cable gets fed in from the engine bay. Best to remove any center console and center tray/seat, and pull up the carpet over the top of the tunnel.

The old cable pulls out from the engine bay side as well.

Some (?) cables seem to ship with the big fat rubber cover on the wrong end. It should face the speedometer end, and hook over the tube coming out of the firewall. I have been able to pull the boot (the cover) off and put it back on the other way around.

--DD
tygaboy
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Mar 7 2017, 11:24 AM) *

This is what the parts book shows the speedo cable looking like. Later year/s are two piece with a box in between.

Does yours not look like this?

Maybe one of the ends can be removed?

What I have is one continuous cable and the ends don't come off.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 7 2017, 02:33 PM) *
What I have is one continuous cable and the ends don't come off.

That is correct, the ends don't come off, they are crimped on.

The cable should fit through the firewall from the engine side and then be routed first under the center tunnel until just before the shifter where it comes up and is routed on top of the center tunnel.

popcorn[1].gif
ndfrigi
the biggest hole from the engine firewall is where you insert the speedo cable and goes out/up just before the shifter. Maybe sir Chris you got a wrong speedo cable.

Click to view attachment
Sea Dragon 914
I've replaced the Speedo cables several times on different cars using the Gemo and have had no problems. It's a tight fit but should work. As Dave said, it makes it much easier to remove the center pad so you can access the channel. I don't recall having to remove the whole center console.

It's not that difficult but can be time consuming.

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 7 2017, 04:17 PM) *

the biggest hole from the engine firewall is where you insert the speedo cable and goes out/up just before the shifter. Maybe sir Chris you got a wrong speedo cable.

Click to view attachment

tygaboy
The cable is in. And I'm an idiot...

You think I would have mentioned this at the beginning:

The fuel pump had been relocated to the front and a PO routed the pump wires along side the speedo cable, through that same hole in the firewall. Since I cut the cable and pulled it out, I didn't have to deal with the wire interfering with the cable end. I didn't realize the hole would only allow the cable end to fit - and nothing else.
So, I wasn't paying enough attention...

After removing the wire, the speedo cable slipped through. THEN, I threaded the pump wires back through.

Let the ridiculing begin! poke.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 7 2017, 04:44 PM) *

The cable gets fed in from the engine bay. Best to remove any center console and center tray/seat, and pull up the carpet over the top of the tunnel.

The old cable pulls out from the engine bay side as well.

Some (?) cables seem to ship with the big fat rubber cover on the wrong end. It should face the speedometer end, and hook over the tube coming out of the firewall. I have been able to pull the boot (the cover) off and put it back on the other way around.

--DD

Mine was like this. I found it REALLY vexing as I was not able to get the boot off to flip it.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 7 2017, 08:45 PM) *

The cable is in. And I'm an idiot...

You think I would have mentioned this at the beginning:

The fuel pump had been relocated to the front and a PO routed the pump wires along side the speedo cable, through that same hole in the firewall. Since I cut the cable and pulled it out, I didn't have to deal with the wire interfering with the cable end. I didn't realize the hole would only allow the cable end to fit - and nothing else.
So, I wasn't paying enough attention...

After removing the wire, the speedo cable slipped through. THEN, I threaded the pump wires back through.

Let the ridiculing begin! poke.gif

No ridicule needed. Just another info thread to add to 914world and successful progress for your car.. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.