Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Pedal Bracket bent !!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me
The title basically says it all.

I picked up my car yesterday and trailered it home. When I first played with the car i pulled on the pedal because I thought it didn't return fully. Anyhow the linkage popped off because it doesn't allowmovement in the reverse direction unlike most cars. So I popped it back on and all seemed ok, even though I didn't start the car.

When I brought the car home i noticed the bracket is bent to the right and the ball joints don't line up. So I bent it back to the left and hooked the two linkages (one for the pedal and one going through the tunnel).

Took the car for a noisy drive around the neighborhood and floored it. The bracket bent to the right again and got stuck under a piece of sheet metal or something. No rev limiter so i cut the engine as soon as possible. The engine is ok, drove ok afterwards.

Any someone post pictures of how this is supposed to be aligned? Do I have to replace the pedal cluster?

PLEASE HELP! Thanks! biggrin.gif
davep
Sounds like the pedal is broken. The hinge is supposed to limit motion fore and aft. If the metal inside is rotted, then the pedal can twist as well. If so, it must be replaced. The pedal is also supposed to have a return string action. I f you have a new one you will see what I mean. This supplements the return spring in the engine compartment. When they break it can be fun as you found out. The other problem can be the throttle and clutch cables wrapping around each other. Whenever you work on them, be sure they do not interfere or there will be problems. Also, check the firewall under the engine where the cables come out. If the tubes are loose, you will have major problems. When they are loose on the firewall, they have also broken free inside the tunnel. Time for surgery.
9144me
The pedal is fine. It returns normally and does not twist.

The bracket bent for some reason, maybe because something isn't aligned correctly. Maybe because it was bent once and is weakened.

I just realized while taking off the distributor cap that I have a rev limiting rotor. That definetely saved me!

URY914
No, NO, No, here is what happening.

The gas pedal has the rod behind it and the other end of the rod connects to a bracket. The bracket has a shaft that it pivots on and this shaft is pressed into the bracket. The shaft has come loose from the bracket. Happened on mine. I welded the shaft to the bracket.

I have pics at home that I'll post tonight.

Paul

9144me
Ohh ok, that is possible.

I will check to see if that is what happened. What has to be removed to fix this? The entire cluster?

lapuwali
QUOTE (9144me @ May 4 2005, 12:23 PM)
Ohh ok, that is possible.

I will check to see if that is what happened. What has to be removed to fix this? The entire cluster?

It would be easier to remove the cluster. This is not difficult at all. While you're there, you'll probably want to rebuild the whole cluster. There's an article on Pelican's site describing this process. Doing a search here will also give more info. Don't use the roll pin in the rebuild kit. Use a better pin or a bolt.
Mueller
do you have the floor board that covers the pedal cluster?

the board has an adjustible throttle stop built into for a reason.....

this an aftermarket unit pictured

user posted image
URY914
The shaft has a cotter pin in it and has the small bushings around it. I was able to get the bracket out without taking the entire cluster out. (But I don't have much left around my pedals)

The shaft is about 1/4" in dia. but the bracket may hit the tunnel before the shaft clears the cluster body so you can get it out.

Paul
URY914
pic one:

Broken...
URY914
pic 2:
Gitting fixed...
URY914
pic 3:

Fixed wink.gif
yarin
Wow... i bet that is exactly what happened.

Is it possible to easily remove that pin?

Does anyone have a spare bracket/pin laying around?

edgetoo
While on the subject.

I have had problems with so called "heavy duty" Throttle cables.
#1 was very reluctant to go through the tube in the tub.
#2 would not accept the proper nut on the carb end of the sheath.
#3 & #4 both broke the threaded portion on the carb end of the sheath.

Is there any source of a reliable part?

yarin
I just pulled mine out. The mating between the pin and the bracket is partially torn, allowing the bracket to bend easily under high pedal load. Hence the cause of my problem.

Thanks guys! smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
Told ya... wink.gif biggrin.gif

Paul
yarin
PAUL IS THE MAN!!! Thanks a bunch!

clap.gif boldblue.gif type.gif
URY914
The pin/bracket connection gets real workout when you spend most of your time with the pedal pushed all the way down. (like me)

I guess if you adjusted the little pedal stop under the gas pedal on the board it won't happen as you would hit the stop before bending the pin/bracket. biggrin.gif

Of course, I don't have a board or stop. rolleyes.gif

Paul
Eric_Shea
I've got an extra for you... it's been repaired like Paul's.

PM me your address and I'll Priority Mail it out to you.
yarin
Thanks for the offer but I already got one and just put it in. Had to adjust my throttle cable, car started and idled at 3000rpm. It's all set now. One problem down, several more annoyances to go.

smash.gif

(i'm 9144me, i didn't realize i was logged in at work when posting)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.