Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '72 Horn button and contact ring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amphiduck
Got some newbie questions on my '72, it's been so long I can't remember..does it use the short or long horn button? I have the long button and it won't go through the steering wheel contact, even with some elbow grease in twisting it through the opening. Also, where does the contact ring wire come through the steering wheel to attach to the contact tab on the horn pad?

Thanks for the help!
Mike Fitton
If it is a 914-4 then it takes the long one picture because of the long plastic hub on the back of the wheel.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Mar 9 2017, 08:58 PM) *

If it is a 914-4 then it takes the long one picture because of the long plastic hub on the back of the wheel.

And no wire, that's for the later cars.

Additionally, if you have a contact pad with the little metal tab for the wire, you have the wrong one. You can use that pad but you need a different ring. If that's the case, pm me your address and I'll send you the correct ring to switch on to your horn pad.

The horn button should not require elbow grease to install. It should slide in easily. It's pretty fragile.
amphiduck
It is indeed a 914-4. Just seems like I really have to jam that button down in there to fit through the hole. And looks like I'm in the market for an early turn signal cancellation ring.

Thanks for your help!
mepstein
Like I said, pm me your address and I will send you one - free.
I'll be home from vacation Sunday night so it will go out Monday.
No charge or obligation. I have a couple extra ones.
Mark
mepstein
I'm thinking more about this and your '72 takes a later wheel with a wired horn, not a horn button. The steering wheel model number should end in a 11.

Can you take a picture of the front of the steering column without the steering wheel? An early column has the large metal ring for the horn button to slide on.
amphiduck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2017, 09:35 PM) *

Mark

Truly appreciate it, and I'll take you up on that horn ring. Now I'm wondering if I have the wrong steering wheel or what is going on. The car was some what of a hodge podge, but the title claims it to be a '72. The steering wheel is identical to my '74.
mepstein
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 9 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Mark

Truly appreciate it, and I'll take you up on that horn ring. Now I'm wondering if I have the wrong steering wheel or what is going on. The car was some what of a hodge podge, but the title claims it to be a '72. The steering wheel is identical to my '74.

That's a later wheel. Let's see the steering column
amphiduck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 9 2017, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 9 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Mark

That's a later wheel. Let's see the steering column

Sorry for the delay. Here's a pic of the dash/steering column. Hopefully that tells a little more.
mepstein
That's a later column. You have the correct horn pad and wheel. I can't help you with the wire but I'm sure someone here or a proper diagram will help you with the wire connection.
amphiduck
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 10 2017, 06:16 PM) *

That's a later column. You have the correct horn pad and wheel. I can't help you with the wire but I'm sure someone here or a proper diagram will help you with the wire connection.

Thanks again for the help! Now I'm wondering if the later models even used the spring loaded push contact. With the plastic ring with the wire vs the metal ring on the earlier cars, I don't see how it would even work.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 13 2017, 02:30 PM) *

Thanks again for the help! Now I'm wondering if the later models even used the spring loaded push contact. With the plastic ring with the wire vs the metal ring on the earlier cars, I don't see how it would even work.

No they never did.
mepstein
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Mar 13 2017, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(amphiduck @ Mar 13 2017, 02:30 PM) *

No they never did.

As Garold said. You will need to figure out where the wire attaches and replace it. You cannot use the horn button with your column.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.