Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Points are so pissing me off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
Optical Ignition....which one and where do i order? I woudl like one that doesn't require a snap-on nuclear reactor or something that requires 1000 wires to hook up. I was thinking of the XR1000 (highest one listed ) on PP's site
MattR
Mallory unilite. 3 wires.
Engman
Crane XR-700

Do a search for the best price.

M
bd1308
good stuff....i am SO done with getting stuck at random places and finding pitted points.....I smelled fuel when i cranked on my car for 1 minute straight, but not even a hint of spark...WTF?
Mike D.
Under the cap...two wires to hook up...CompuFire magnetic points...You can get one from just about any VW hot rod place...about $60.

Joe Bob
QUOTE (Engman @ May 4 2005, 04:33 PM)
Crane XR-700

Do a search for the best price.

M

Summit Racing and it's in his backyard. trust me I've checked.

fiid
I liked my pertronix. Not optical, but very easy to install.

hide.gif
BMartin914
QUOTE (fiid @ May 4 2005, 04:44 PM)
I liked my pertronix. Not optical, but very easy to install.

hide.gif

agree.gif
mightyohm
Pertronix, works well if you don't f-up the install.

Or alternatively learn how to properly set up and maintain points. biggrin.gif
9144guy
stick with the points, they are easy! we had pretronix and the failed at hight rpm, 1 month old,went through several tests, put points back in and never had a problem. was running 1.32's at hallett motor speedway only a 4cy
Aaron Cox
pertronix....

2 wires. DONE
Mueller
didn't you bitch about your points a few months ago???

you had tons of good advice that you refused to listen to and now you are asking the same damn thing that gets asked every week??? confused24.gif wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)

you had tons of good advice that you refused to listen to and now you are asking the same damn thing that gets asked every week??? confused24.gif wacko.gif

easy there pops.....

he will figure it out soon enough

watch your blood pressure mike biggrin.gif
Ray Warren
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
pertronix....

2 wires. DONE

agree.gif
It dosn't get any easier.
Rouser
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 4 2005, 09:19 PM)

agree.gif THANK YOU!

I was sure this was covered previously ad nausea.
bd1308
mike...it's okay. Just sit down and take a break. The points are fine, I just have to figure out why they keep getting pitted and stuff...condensor replaced not too long ago, not porsche but it worked.....*shrugs* Where can i get a GOOD set of nice points and condensor?
Trekkor
If you take your time, the Pertronix install only lasts 30 minutes.

I don't understand why people dislike them. confused24.gif
Put it on my FOUR, no problems and I enjoyed improved starting and top end performance.
Did it on my SIX with the same results. Impossible to suffer from worn points or "float" anymore.
Can't recommend it any higher.

KT
bd1308
you really need to get rid of that air dam
Brad Roberts
Call me stupid.. (call me whatever you want actually).. but it *sounds* to me like the car is running really RICH. This will burn up points. I cant even recall when the last time was that I adjusted/installed points. THROW THEM out.

B
Rouser
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 4 2005, 10:31 PM)
I can't even recall when the last time was that I adjusted/installed points. THROW THEM out.

B

agree.gif x 2.

Pertronix Ignitor; easiest/quickest breakerless upgrade out there, ESPECIALLY if you've already removed the distributor once before (IIRC).
bd1308
Pertronix???? i dont like that they burn out.....how will i know that i tubed $60....can i turn them off via switch or something if i wanna say prime the fuel pump after a vapor lock situation?
Rouser
Pertronix???? i dont like that they burn out ...

Only if you install it incorrectly; it's just two wires (sheesh).
how will i know that i tubed $60....

It won't start, at all. See above ...
can i turn them off via switch or something if i wanna say prime the fuel pump after a vapor lock situation?

Yes, it's called the ignition switch. dry.gif If you have to "prime the fuel pump after a vapor lock situation" than you need to relocate your fuel pump!

Do the Pertronix ... it just ain't that hard.
Trekkor
i dont like that they burn out

Pertronix makes igniter and igniter II for near every vehicle ever made. For years they have been making these kits ( at least 20 )
I think this burn out thing is misinformation.
You don't stay in business for long if you sell junk.

I have yet to meet anyone who has blown their Pertronix.
Sure, I've heard the "stories".

Now, points. We all know they gag. icon8.gif

KT
root
*sounds* to me like the car is running really RICH. This will burn up points.

Brad, help me out on this one. How can points be effected by a RICH fuel injection??? idea.gif
bd1308
yeah....me too...i've been digging through my BOSCH books, i'm scatching my head
MattR
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 4 2005, 07:12 PM)

ford?

hide.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (MattR @ May 4 2005, 09:54 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 4 2005, 07:12 PM)

ford?

hide.gif

agree lol2.gif
Aaron Cox
Britt,

you are making this WAY too hard. You ask for advice on points, we say go pertronix/compufre/crane/allison.
do a little research on these points replacements OR mess with your points.

Pertronix dont blow up. I had an ignitor in my 050 for 2 years. never a hickup. there are 2 wires (black and red).
the only way you can smoke a dumb pertronix is by leaving the ignition on for like 30 min without the car running, or buy having the wrong ohmage coil.

PERTRONIX has a website...full of information, kit numbers, prices, etc.
THEY EVEN TELL you how to measure your coil/ignition's ohmage, to tell you if it is compatible with their module.

and all the suppliers have them.

markb
QUOTE (Engman @ May 4 2005, 04:33 PM)
Crane XR-700

agree.gif
Just put one in the Blue car yesterday.
bd1308
now i'm on crane XR-700 or pertronix... I think i'm gonna do pertronix
Trekkor
Brief hijack intercept:
ford?

Sad, really sad. slap.gif

My 2001 F-350 turbo diesel has 50,000 trouble free miles.

BTW, all the new Fords are no loger running breaker points. screwy.gif

back on topic-

Aaron said it all.

KT
SGB
I had the same Pertronx for 12 years (sold with the >050 dizzy) worked great always. I dunno if I would recognize points...

If ya wanna throw down, the Mallory will change everything. I was stunned at the smoothness and response when I used the rightl advance spring selection.

$60 or $260. $60 will bring you into last century, but actually, if you have enough cheese.... cool_shades.gif
MattR
It was a joke... i have a few fords in my family, in fact im the only one with a non american car.
bd1308
my dad has a rover (ford) and my mom has a jag (ford)....so i'm jokin too.....i'm on the pertronix.
mightyohm
Brad, I'm with the other guys - how can running rich cause you to burn up points? Plugs foul and this causes more energy to be dissipated in the points? I dunno.

Britt, points should not burn this easily. You have a faulty component, have things hooked up incorrectly, or are using the wrong techniques to set the dwell/timing. Watch out or your problems may carry over and burn out whatever optical/magnetic ignition you install.

Common problems include: dwell not set correctly. wrong condensor for the car. wrong coil. coil wired backwards or in such a way that +12V is making it straight to the points. ignition is always on or key is left on with engine not running.

bd1308
nobody has any PP online coupons do they ? wink.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 4 2005, 10:33 PM)
ignition is always on or key is left on with engine not running. or the condensor thing.

That's me right there....
fiid
QUOTE (trekkor @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
Brief hijack intercept:
ford?

Sad, really sad. slap.gif

My 2001 F-350 turbo diesel has 50,000 trouble free miles.

BTW, all the new Fords are no loger running breaker points. screwy.gif

back on topic-

Aaron said it all.

KT

Diesels don't have ignition systems anyway.. laugh.gif

hide.gif
Trekkor
Diesels don't have ignition systems anyway

No wonder the guy at my FLAPS gave me a funny look when I asked for plugs, wires, cap and rotor. huh.gif

KT
McMark
Rich mixture will burn up points because it's harder to arc, so more power flows through the points causing arcing and pitting. Somethin' like that.
Aaron Cox
so the concensus of the board.

BUY A DAMN POINTS REPLACEMENT, and double check your mixture wink.gif
bd1308
how do i check my mixture???? isn't it D-jet's job to do that?
McMark
D-Jet is an open loop system. Which means it doesn't know if it's rich or lean. You need an O2 sensor of some type in order to be closed loop (for the most part).
bd1308
well i knew that much, but i dont remember there being a setting for complete rich-lean setting
McMark
Whatever.... rolleyes.gif

Go read Brad Anders site and learn for yourself.
tat2dphreak
either go cheap, and use compufire or pertronix, or go balls out and get the mallory... IMHO
bd1308
pertronix ordered....in next wednesday....

which means more driving.gif and less headbang.gif
bd1308
actually i need to get me a new condensor.....i blew another point set, has some cancer looking white spot on the surface........both sides
Trekkor
new condensor

Don't bother. The Pertronix kit replace both points and condensor. wink.gif

Why is the kit coming next wednesday?
If you ordered it from HPH, you'd have it tommorow or saturday...

KT
SLITS
Just recieved a phone call tip from "Miles the Geek". The line in Savanah is that Britt will blow the Petronix unit before he gets it outta the box.....10 : 1 lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.