Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new powder coating oven...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I built this oven a while back, but I couldn't get it over about 275 degrees. I recently added a layer of R13 insulation to the inside, and now it gets up to 400 no problem. It takes about 30 mins to get there, so a total cure takes 50 mins. I did one test part (an old water pump impeller) and it came out great.

I used the control circuitry from an old microwave/convection oven to turn on and off a 3 element quartz heater (about 1600 watts). I just set the temp for 400, the time for 50 minutes, and it beeps when it's done! (and turns off)

I still have a few kinks to work out (like a structure for the ceiling to hang things from), and I need to get better at the application of the powder, but at least I can get up to and hold 400 degrees. smile.gif

bondo
Here's the impeller:
914fire
Dont let the local fire marshal see that ...... biggrin.gif
bondo
Hehe, it's pretty safe, the outside stays cool to the touch. The insulation works VERY well.

I almost forgot... it's sized such that a rocker panel barely fits diagonally. smile.gif
markb
mueba.gif Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! boldblue.gif
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ May 4 2005, 09:29 PM)
mueba.gif Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! boldblue.gif

yup, I owe ya one. smile.gif I'll make the final tweaks in the next week or so, so any time after that I'll be ready for some prepped rims for a wheel test. smile.gif
dlo914
hmmm since ive got the engine out...some coated engine tins would be nice laugh.gif !!! jks...imma just hand scrub them clean and just rattle can it. But, nice work on the powder coating oven smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
jonwatts
That is sweet. Kudos on going large.

Andyrew
We have an oven were going to use... but daaang....

Thats big....
GWN7
Two pieces of plywood. One on the inside and another on the top. Eye bolts thru from one to the other (put a nut and washer on the botton piece to adjust the inside piece of plywood) and then you can hang stuff off of the eye bolts.

If your hanging heavy stuff, make the top (outside) piece of plywood extend over the sides 1.5" and then put some 2" X 4" legs down to the floor

Looks great beerchug.gif
scotty b
ohmy.gif I have been considering building a larger oven to fit fan shrouds and 17" wheels in but don't have enough electro knowledge to get started (or time). I have thought of using heating elements from 2 kitchen ovens combined with the fans and sensors. Anyone have an opinion on this method? I have NO idea how an oven werks as far as temp control but I fiigure once I get it apart and lookey loo it is pretty simple.? Box would be a piece of cake,18 ga. w/ insulation sandwiched, it's just the electronics that I hesitate on. I want it to be controllable for doing head jobs, heating gears, wrist pins, etc
bondo
I would think elements from 2 kitchen ovens would be overkill. How hot do you need to get, and how fast do you need to get there? I'm running 1600 watts from 115v. That's about 14 amps. Most kitchen ovens run on 230. That will complicate things, especially switching (230v relays are more expensive, and you need to switch 2 poles for it to be safe). If you gut a countertop convection oven, and use its elements and circuitry you should do pretty well, as long as you have plenty of insulation.
bondo
QUOTE (GWN7 @ May 5 2005, 12:28 AM)
Two pieces of plywood. One on the inside and another on the top. Eye bolts thru from one to the other (put a nut and washer on the botton piece to adjust the inside piece of plywood) and then you can hang stuff off of the eye bolts.

If your hanging heavy stuff, make the top (outside) piece of plywood extend over the sides 1.5" and then put some 2" X 4" legs down to the floor

Looks great beerchug.gif

Thanks. I plan to pretty much do what you said, except with steel. smile.gif The inner rack will pivot on a center bolt so I can turn the parts I'm coating and see all sides. I'm also adding a piece of corrugated steel to the roof as a reflector and to make sure the roof insulation stays were it's supposed to.
scotty b
QUOTE (bondo @ May 5 2005, 04:00 PM)
I would think elements from 2 kitchen ovens would be overkill. How hot do you need to get, and how fast do you need to get there? I'm running 1600 watts from 115v. That's about 14 amps. Most kitchen ovens run on 230. That will complicate things, especially switching (230v relays are more expensive, and you need to switch 2 poles for it to be safe). If you gut a countertop convection oven, and use its elements and circuitry you should do pretty well, as long as you have plenty of insulation.

dry.gif Yeah maybe your right. My retarded mind was thinking that if I double the size of the oven, I would need to double the elements to keep everything equal. But I didn't really consider the amp draw wacko.gif In reality it will just take a little longer to heat up huh blink.gif ? I swear I'm not really that dumb. slap.gif

You guys ever taste the paint after it flakes off the wall? That stuffs pretty damn tasty. Kinda leaves a metallic after taste though. chowtime.gif
Jake Raby
I have 250 sets of TIV engine tin that need coating..... Anyone want to do the deed and help me sell them??
bondo
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ May 5 2005, 06:23 PM)
I have 250 sets of TIV engine tin that need coating..... Anyone want to do the deed and help me sell them??

Whoo, I'm not set up for that kind of volume smile.gif
CptTripps
Dude...that's insane!

Think you can fit Adove in there? Throw a powder-coat finish on there, and I'll be in business!

Great work...inspiring!
bondo
QUOTE (CptTripps @ May 5 2005, 07:20 PM)
Dude...that's insane!

Think you can fit Adove in there? Throw a powder-coat finish on there, and I'll be in business!

Great work...inspiring!

I thought about it, but the tires would melt! smile.gif
Pugbug
Why not gut out an old fridge or freezer, insulate, install elements and timer from an old stove oven .....Voila!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.