Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valvoline VR1 racing oil on sale at Autozone
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GregAmy
It's a labeling issue. CA banned "obsolete" oils, they have to meet one standard. Search on bobistheoilguy.com some time early last year; topic was "California bans obsolete oil" or similar.

That's why it's back on the shelves at the old price: all new stock has the correct label. Did you notice all the oils you bought had differing labels? I think Autozone was gifting us a way to clear out their old stock.
db9146
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 18 2017, 09:38 PM) *

I spent the last couple days easter egg hunting in the east valley. 139qts.

I thought I might the be high scorer with 91 but Travis beat me!
TravisNeff
I've got problems.. 151 including what I already had stashed.

914_teener
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 28 2017, 01:25 PM) *

It's a labeling issue. CA banned "obsolete" oils, they have to meet one standard. Search on bobistheoilguy.com some time early last year; topic was "California bans obsolete oil" or similar.

That's why it's back on the shelves at the old price: all new stock has the correct label. Did you notice all the oils you bought had differing labels? I think Autozone was gifting us a way to clear out their old stock.

Yes that.s what I thought. It is the API designation if obsoleted.

So as long as the designation is compatable with an active API designation it can be sold in CA is my understanding.

So the the stores could have the SA designation and still viable oil just a labeling issue.
Big Len
A HUNDRED AND FIFTY ONE ????
pray.gif
Beach914
Definitely OCD......
GregAmy
Yeah. I was done at 40, plenty enough for the two cars for a couple years. Then I got a call from my local place, all proud they got 20 more for me, so I grabbed those too.

You should check the expiration dates on those so they don't turn into vinegar on you. Bad bad bad for the engine.

wink.gif
mramber
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 28 2017, 05:24 PM) *

Dude! I want to party with you!!! beer3.gif
db9146
And he even takes the time to polish the dinner table BEFORE he lays out all 151 qrts., all turned the same way, all perfectly aligned......

Ok, ok...you win... wacko.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
theer
I cleaned out my Autozone, too. First the Valvoline then the Autozone brand - $1/qt.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Mar 28 2017, 03:24 PM) *

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode about the contraceptive sponges...

Our little cars are certainly "VR1 worthy"!
BillC
I looked at the local Autozone, but no luck. No VR1 at all. hissyfit.gif
TravisNeff
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Mar 28 2017, 08:20 PM) *

Definitely OCD......

That's not the half of it. You know when you walk in the front door of those stores they make that swish sound? Well if the sound doesn't sound just right you have to try going through the door again and again until it sounds just right. Same sound of satisfaction when you leave out the exit door.

Then I get home and lay out all that oil on the table and every time I leave the room someone turns one of the bottles around just to see me freak out. Then I hear some crap that I dont have an even number of oil bottles and I should do something about it because it may not be just right.

Then I go out and change my oil and so now I don't have as much and to top it off someone on pelican got 240qts of oil and now I feel like I don't have enough. laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Got the last 8 quarts in Superior WI. Nothing in Duluth MN. Sold Out
jmill
I called all the autozones in my area and they said the sale is over and it was a dollar off, not a quart for a dollar. WTF.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 29 2017, 08:28 PM) *

I called all the autozones in my area and they said the sale is over and it was a dollar off, not a quart for a dollar. WTF.gif

The Superior store told me on the phone that it was on the shelf for $ 2.00 a quart but it may ring up for less. I took a chance and drove over and it rang up at a $ 1.00 Don't believe the guy until you check it out.
jtprettyman
Bringing back an old thread, but I just came across VR-1 at my local middle-TN store for $1 again today. Had bought a bunch at this location earlier until the sale ended, guess it's back on. Anyone else still finding this?
11tenths
Oh no... I thought this was done.

Must be how the people felt who raced to California for the Gold Rush, only to find things already picked clean.

And then, someone whispers "Alaska".

-Harry
iamchappy
$6.89 qt. at all the ones around here..
anderssj
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 3 2017, 02:52 PM) *

$6.89 qt. at all the ones around here..

Same here . . . even at the Hampton VA store where I first found it (and they said AutoZone was discontinuing it) dry.gif
anderssj
sorry, double posted.
TravisNeff
Checked a few weeks ago, regular price
KELTY360
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 3 2017, 01:11 PM) *

Checked a few weeks ago, regular price

You should sell some back to them and make a killing. poke.gif
TravisNeff
I am not sure if I could deal with the separation anxiety
KELTY360
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 3 2017, 01:45 PM) *

I am not sure if I could deal with the separation anxiety

You can't take it with you. The dinosaurs tried...look how it worked out for them. shades.gif
drem914
VR1 racing oil apparently cannot be delivered to California (surprise, surprise) via Amazon. What are the other options for a high zinc oil 20W-50 in CA, for a reasonable price under $10/quart? Maybe I now need to smuggle oil across the border?
GregAmy
Man, I miss that sale...has it really been almost three years? I noticed this weekend my closet is getting empty and I've only got one oil change left for the street car with enough for one more fill on the race car (8 quarts).

So, yeah, what's gonna be the value-priced replacement?
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(drem914 @ Dec 27 2019, 07:47 PM) *

VR1 racing oil apparently cannot be delivered to California (surprise, surprise) via Amazon. What are the other options for a high zinc oil 20W-50 in CA, for a reasonable price under $10/quart? Maybe I now need to smuggle oil across the border?

They still sell at O’Reilys in San Juan Capistrano, just saw some there about 2 weeks ago.
sixnotfour
The last 15 qts I had are on a stretch of highway in no where Utah..keeping the dust down. driving.gif headbang.gif ..That was a Heck of a Deal...
maf914
I just checked O'Reilly's website. VR1 Racing Formula is listed as $7.99 qt. No special deals indicated.

I found it interesting that they list a Valvoline VR1 Non-California Conventional Motor Oil 10W-30.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/non-ca...e+vr1&pos=6
drem914
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 28 2019, 12:04 AM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Dec 27 2019, 07:47 PM) *

They still sell at O’Reilys in San Juan Capistrano, just saw some there about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks beerchug.gif
Spoke
I buy VR1 20W50 locally at A&A Auto Parts. A&A is the family of Top Fuel drag racer Joe Amato. Regular price $6.49.

VR1 @ A&A Auto Parts
Steve
Still cheaper on Amazon and includes free shipping.
Pack of six $33.53
drem914
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 28 2019, 05:43 PM) *

Pack of six $33.53

Steve, I tried doing that yesterday and when you get to actually paying/placing the order it gets rejected due to the address of delivery. I gave it three different locations, two commercial and one residential and all three were denied.
Steve
QUOTE(drem914 @ Dec 28 2019, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 28 2019, 05:43 PM) *

Pack of six $33.53

Steve, I tried doing that yesterday and when you get to actually paying/placing the order it gets rejected due to the address of delivery. I gave it three different locations, two commercial and one residential and all three were denied.

Interesting.. I always buy it at Flaps, but I was surprised it was cheaper on Amazon.
I am do for an oil change...
Blue6
I was in Bullhead City, Az this past week. Went to O’Reilys to check. Manager said he was told VR-1 was poisonous to Californians, there by making it non-Ca compliant... I promised I wouldn’t bring it back to Ca... bs.gif
Clay, nothing political here...Click to view attachment
tomeric914
Nice! I wondered if it came in 5qt containers but could never seem to find it. Now we have proof!

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 1 2020, 09:19 PM) *

I was in Bullhead City, Az this past week. Went to O’Reilys to check. Manager said he was told VR-1 was poisonous to Californians, there by making it non-Ca compliant... I promised I wouldn’t bring it back.... bs.gif
Clay, nothing political here...Click to view attachment

drem914
Yes, picked up 2 - 5 Gal. containers a couple days ago. I may go back in couple days and see if they still have any more left now that the new year has come and California has dropped all of its wonderful 2020 laws.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.