Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cleaning the trans...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
decided to clean my trans last nite and came across some numbers on the bottom, anyone know what they refer to? It also has a "socket" that the ball on the trans pops into on the fork for the throwout bearing, does this need to fit real tight or can it have alittle play, i took it all apart and cleaned it but even when the alan bolt is tight the arm has some play in it.

Im going to clean alittle more and change to mobil 1 90w fluid tonite, almost ready to attach it to the motor!!!
xsboost90
after
xsboost90
oh, heres the numbers
Eric_Shea
Ooooooops... looks like I might be too late. I was going to say "don't use engine cleaner". Looks a lot better though.

The numbers are model number and there should be another that confirms what it's for (4 cylinder), what year and a sequential serial number.
xsboost90
what should be used to clean it. I used about five kinds of cleaners w/ a brass brush and a flat screwdriver to get the heavy stuff off...then to the car wash..shhhhh! happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Engine cleaner pits the magnesium. You can see it on your bell housing. Mild detergents and the ole car wash are best. Steam. Walnut if you want them to look "new".
xsboost90
really ill be happy as long as i dont get dirty when i put it in and it still turns the back wheels. If i ever do a total tear down ill do the blast thing.
Ferg
change the fluid before it goes back in the car, for sure you have water that found it's way inside, ask me how i know unsure.gif
Ferg
JWest
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ May 5 2005, 04:15 PM)
It also has a "socket" that the ball on the trans pops into on the fork for the throwout bearing, does this need to fit real tight or can it have alittle play, i took it all apart and cleaned it but even when the alan bolt is tight the arm has some play in it.

There is a nylon cup (901 116 741 01) that goes into the fork - you probably need to replace it.
TimT
Mobil 1 isnt the best choice of gear lube for 901s. 901 have balk type synchros, and synthetic gear oils are alklegedly to slippery for them. Although I have used Mobil 1 in 901s in the past. Use some good quality dino oil, unless of course you already bought the
Mobil 1
C.Plavan
Not a 914 but here is a picture of my 901 in my 911 race car. Mag case was mediablasted. Then the secret is to clear coat it smile.gif
It will stay like this with little effort.
FYI- Gears B, GA, M, S, X
80% Guard Transmission Limited slip.
user posted image
user posted image
messix
looks great

now i need a blasting cabnet
Eric_Shea
A fairly large blasting cabinet.
davep
Before power washing, take a note of the exact orientation of the hole in the vent. Then replace the vent with a whell bolt. Power wash. Paint. Replace the vent and the 3 seals.
xsboost90
after i blasted it off, careful not to stick the water into the hole in the vent, i dried it w/ the air hose in the shop and drained out the fluid, poured some 80w i had laying on the shelf in there to clean it out, dumped that and refilled w/ 75w-90 mobil. She should be too bad off for a while, eventually itll get some redline fluid and mediablasted, for now its not covered in an inch of grease and oil from the old motor, thats good enough for me.
C.Plavan
I should add I did this with the trans apart. Not a complete unit. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.