Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lift options? Brands, recomendations experiences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Guys,
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2 post lift. while the 914 is light, I alsoi have to hoist up a LandRover Defender 110 as well, weighing in at 6500 - 7000 lbs.

I'm thinking a 9000 lbs rated lift will be fine.
But there are several different brands now available - with a WIDE range in prices.
so the cheap ones include
Launch (they now have a 1 piece design for towers), Autocraft, and Tuxedo. I assume all are probably Chinese - but I don't know for sure. all could be had for under 1500 - plus I will need to pour a 20X25 slab.

The Greg smith Elite seems like a good price for a unit they brag about, and have good reviews posted - but by whom?

Further up the price line - add an extra 500 - 800 bucks is the Bendpak, I think they are good quality

then some really pricey units above that.

so anyone have any idea on suitability - I'm using the lift once a month or so, i'm just a lazy hobbyist!
burton73
I have a Dannmar 4 post.
It says that the • Power Unit Made in USA
• Visible Locking system for added security
• Runways constructed of solid plate steel
• Runways coated with the best nonskid textured surface available
• Two-hose hydraulic system eliminates leaks

I have the Aluminum Approach Ramps [Add $295.00] more as the steel has been too heavy for my bad back at 54lb compared to 17lb

http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/fo...t-lifts/D-7.asp

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/4-post...CFc61wAodZ9cMOg

I do not remember what I paid for it as my friend bought a number and gave me a deal, my price was with delivery and set up. When I moved the guy moved it across town and set it up for $500. I have seen these sold at Costco’s as well. It is not very tall and fits 2 Porsches in a standard garage but you have to see how you get into the garage as far as the doors. Also if you have a center lift power door it may need to be changed.
I am selling my unit and that may be good for a guy in the Los Angeles area.
My buddy has used this brand for 20 years and never had a problem.

Bob B
Lifting Capacity: 7,000 lbs. / 5443 kg.
Overall Width: 105" / 2667 mm.
Outside Length: 170-1/2" / 4331 mm.
Overall Length: 203-1/2" / 5169 mm.
Height Columns: 82" / 2083 mm.
Minimum Runway Height: 4-1/2" / 114 mm.
Maximum Rise: 68" / 1791 mm.
Maximum Lifting Height: 72.5" / 1841 mm.
Width Between Columns: 92-1/2" / 2350 mm.
Runway Width: 18-1/2" / 470 mm.
Width Between Runways: 37-1/2" / 953 mm.
Runway Centerline: 52-1/4" / 1327.14 mm.
Outside Edge of Runways: 74-1/2" / 1892.3 mm.
Drive-Thru Clearance: 68" / 1727.19 mm.
Length of Runways: 160-1/2" / 4077 mm.
Locking Positions: 10
Lock Spacing: Every 4-1/2" / 114 mm.
Lifting Time: 45 Seconds
Standard Motor: 110 VAC 60Hz. 1Ph
Shipping Weight (lbs): 1550
flyer86d
I installed a Bend Pack 10,000lb extra wide two post when I opened my shop in 2005. I used it daily thru the end of 2015 when I sold the shop. I had vehicles on it ranging from an Austin Healey Sprite to one ton duality trucks and it never struggled or gave me a problem. I did have to replace both equalizer cables at 5 years due to fraying at the lower pulleys but that was not a big deal. They are a great product. I would have put it in my garage at home but the posts are 12ft 1 in and my ceiling is 12ft even. I'll have to get a low post lift when the time comes. You have to trust your lift when you are pulling, pushing and shoving on the car over your head.

Charlie
DamonsCarrera
I've always had good experience with Bendpak. They are a little more expensive, but not unreasonable compared to Rotary, etc. They seem very well made compared to some other brands. And they have great customer service. They will even paint to order.

-Damon

Click to view attachment
jim912928
I have a Dannmar for going on 6+ years. Works perfect, leak free, stable, moveable...been thinking about buying a 2nd.
somd914
I've had a Greg Smith BP8000 two post for 1.5 years, gets used a good bit between me, my sons, and their friends. I also have two independent mechanic friends who each have had the same unit for several years with no issues - they were the endorsements that sold me.

If you are concerned about Chinese construction, do you research as I found some "American" units were actually Chinese.

I will say for us with the Porsches and our daily drivers (BMW 330ci, Golf GTI), the lift is well sized and supports the cars without movement. I wouldn't entertain a full size truck or SUV on it despite its 8,000 lb rating. It will probably lift and hold that weight, but based on some mid-size SUVs that have been on it, the vehicle rocks slightly though I don't detect any movement in the posts - believe it to be an arm geometry issue.

TM_Corey
QUOTE(DamonsCarrera @ Mar 22 2017, 04:46 PM) *

I've always had good experience with Bendpak. They are a little more expensive, but not unreasonable compared to Rotary, etc. They seem very well made compared to some other brands. And they have great customer service. They will even paint to order.

-Damon

Click to view attachment

My OCD is pleased with this photo....
Mark Henry
I have an AAMCO 7000lbs two post, way better than the chinese lifts, heavier, over engineered, one lever safety locks that you can't defeat, USA made hydraulics, 220v.
No problem with our old Pontiac Torrent, lifted full size Jeeps and standard pickups.
But I would say that they are about the limit for the 7000lb lift.
Used, 8 years old when I got it off of Kijiji (like craigslist), $1000 cash. piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 22 2017, 03:15 PM) *

I would have put it in my garage at home but the posts are 12ft 1 in and my ceiling is 12ft even. I'll have to get a low post lift when the time comes. You have to trust your lift when you are pulling, pushing and shoving on the car over your head.

agree.gif

I had the guy measure mine 11'-11" I have 12'-1.5" ceiling so I was golden...or so I thought. The frickin' hydraulic cylinders pop out the top 4 inches. huh.gif
Luckily I did the shop in aboveground pool steel side sheeting (new 2nds, got it cheap) and it bent the steel up enough, plus it didn't hit the trusses.

If you do get a chinese lift I'd go for the 10K and treat it like a 7K lift. If buying used you don't want a three phase lift. You can get a converter, but you'll have figure that into the total price. Also make sure it has all the pad extenders for high ground clearance vehicles like a pickup.
When figuring out the cost don't forget you have to stand the towers up, have a thick enough pad, $100+ worth of redhead bolts, plus the electrical wiring.
Cairo94507
I had a BendPak 4 post in my last house and loved it. I will likely go to them again for my next lift. Probably a year away from the garage remodel.
Jett
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 22 2017, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(DamonsCarrera @ Mar 22 2017, 04:46 PM) *

-Damon

Click to view attachment

Lol... agree.gif
strawman
I've got an Atlas 9k direct-drive (no chains) two-post lift from Greg Smith that I installed in my side yard. My garage ceiling is too low for any full-size lift. Been a year of bliss. Outside installation voids the warranty, but I'm okay with that -- I just lube it often. $2300 delivered, and it appears to be rock solid, even with a full-size Chevy pick-up or my VW Eurovan Westy on it. It seems to not even notice when I lift my 914 or BMWs...
carr914
I've got a Rotary - 11 Years now, not a single Issue - but that was what I was going for when I bought American! flag.gif

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Rotary. Mine is about 21 years old, no troubles
yellowporky
http://www.twinbusch.com/product_info.php?products_id=4

we installed this unit a year ago and have been very happy. it is a german company and design andthey have their manufacturing in china but they claim built to their standards.
we are very happy with it.
jsaum
What type of anchors are used to secure it to the floor?
DamonsCarrera
These ...

anchor bolts
rudedude
I have a rotary 7000# 2 post hoist that came out of a car dealership when it was remodeled. Has lifted my suburban with no trouble. Works even better on the light cars. Paid under a grand 15 years ago and have never had any issues.
N_Jay
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ Mar 22 2017, 07:49 PM) *

My OCD is bothered by the lack of appropriate oil stain under the car, but the real issue is my envy is off the scale!
Ferg
QUOTE(DamonsCarrera @ Mar 24 2017, 04:57 AM) *

These ...

anchor bolts

Another vote for Bend Pak, I've had mine for over 10 years, so far zero issues.

Regarding the bolts ect, that brings up a good point. With a 2 post and the weight of the Rover, if you have just a standard residential garage "pour" you are likely not going to have enough, so budget concrete work as well.
Calwaterbear
Yeah, I am familiar with the concrete issue. The guys at Greg Smith say 3" thick of 3000 lb concrete. I am pouring a pad outside - california you know! will have a tin roof over it.

I plan on pouring a 4" thick 20 X 25 foot slab , and will dig down and make the mounting areas footings about 1 foot deep - 3 foot X 3 foot.
dcheek
I've had a Greg Smith BP8000 for over 2 years. Works great. I bought it in Delaware and picked it up at their warehouse. No shipping charges, no sales tax. We actually picked up 2 lifts and got a discount. I installed myself with the help of 2 friends. The first one took 2 3/4 hours. The second one took just under 2 hours. You can't beat the price, and the quality is there. I had 4" of concrete and I own a Hilti hammer drill so installation was fairly straight forward.
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Greg smith 4 post lift, hydraulic piston failed after 4 years of heavy use. It's the o-ring, but all the installers I spoke with said get a new piston. Of course I will just try replacing the o-ring first cause I am cheap. This lift is not designed to be used as much as we did, and the super heavy stuff my boy put on it killed it.
Calwaterbear
thanks for all the input guys. I like 4 post lifts for storage, but I have worked under several cars on a 4 post, found it much tougher and more aggravating that working under a 2 post.

so out of the blue, my kid found someone selling a 2 post 9000 lb western lift used. She found it on Craigs list facebook - I have no idea that even existed, apparently completely separate of Craigs list, because i never saw this lift posted there.

anyway Western is made in USA here in California, and as far as I can tell has a good reputation, seems to be much more common in the professional garages, not so much hobbyist)

It was 10 years old, had new cables and tubes. I ran a big pickup up and down, worked flawlessly. So I lowballed the guy - and ended up with an 800 dollar used lift. Now I have to go pour a pad and set it up. sucks it slows down my 914 effort in the short run, but it makes so much stuff so much quicker and easier, I'll come out ahead in the end!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 2 2017, 11:54 AM) *

It was 10 years old, had new cables and tubes. I ran a big pickup up and down, worked flawlessly. So I lowballed the guy - and ended up with an 800 dollar used lift. Now I have to go pour a pad and set it up. sucks it slows down my 914 effort in the short run, but it makes so much stuff so much quicker and easier, I'll come out ahead in the end!

thumb3d.gif

Good deal, Is it 220v single phase? Even if not a 3-phase a converter is fairly cheap off ebay. It should be a way better unit than a Chinese lift.
The pads, time and cash on the lift is well worth it.

If you have a good floor I'd just cut two 24" square holes 10" deep, drive a bunch of rebar into the ground. Drill some holes into the edge of the existing floor and jam some more rebar in that. Fill it full of cement, dry at least a week, rent a hilti for a day, a box of redheads and bob's yer uncle.
Calwaterbear
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 2 2017, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Calwaterbear @ Apr 2 2017, 11:54 AM) *

thumb3d.gif

Good deal, Is it 220v single phase? Even if not a 3-phase a converter is fairly cheap off ebay. It should be a way better unit than a Chinese lift.
The pads, time and cash on the lift is well worth it.

If you have a good floor I'd just cut two 24" square holes 10" deep, drive a bunch of rebar into the ground. Drill some holes into the edge of the existing floor and jam some more rebar in that. Fill it full of cement, dry at least a week, rent a hilti for a day, a box of redheads and bob's yer uncle.

Thanks Mark, I do have single phase, and a straight shot to trench it underground. Its too tall for my garage - plus my garage has radiant heat tubing, plus when I finish building a full shop - the garage becomes the game room - multipurpose - extra sq feet - no tax increase! So I'll pour the pad for now - after I finish the workshop, I'll move the lift, and the pad will be repurposed as a storage shed , or a carport

thats my plans
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.