Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remote Oil Cooler Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hi Everyone,
I just finished up my Oil Return tubes and strainer etc and got to thinking about a remote mount oil cooler...not that I really need it for the most part living in Nova Scotia but its one of those while I have the engine out thoughts.

I have been looking at Cooler and with our Cdn dollar being what it is and the general cost anyway, I was hoping the community could suggest show us some of the set ups you have already gone with.

I have a 2 litre with weber carbs not that is matters but just for some background
Much thanks as always! Grant
Dave_Darling
Do you need a cooler? If not, it is a waste to install one.

Do you want to cut the car up? How many holes can you live with?

Options include:
- Under the engine lid. This is very easy to mount and set up. It can cause odd readings from your dipstick as the oil in it drains back into the crankcase, and you will have to lose the rain tray. It also preheats your cooling and your induction air to some extent, which is not necessarily optimal.
- Under the rear trunk floor. This is moderately easy to set up, depending on exactly where you run the lines and so forth. Generally the only holes needed are mounting holes for the brackets. Oil hose routing can be a bit complicated, and it can make access to the valve covers or other components more difficult. This is also the least effective location, as it does not get a good supply of cold clean air. Even with a fan, it's not great.
- In the front trunk, with a ducted enclosure. This is the most effective location, as you get cold and clean air, and it is forced through the cooler. Generally exit is out the bottom of the front trunk floor. This requires cutting the tub to get air in and out again, and relatively long oil lines and quite a few holes for them.

All of the above work to some extent. They have all been shown to reduce oil temps that are too high. They are different amounts of work, and different costs for each setup. I have a cooler under the rear trunk floor, and am happy enough with it. I did not want to cut the tub or deal with the lines up on top of the engine, so I picked my compromise.

There are also less-common setups, most of which place the cooler potentially in harm's way. (E.g., under the front bumper, in front of the front bumper, flat against the front trunk floor, inside the wheel well, etc.) All have their own compromises, as well, but there is a reason these are not as common.

--DD
NS914
Dave, as always thank you and you are dead on re how many holes and is it worth it....my thoughts have been front mount but really was not sure if the cost benefit was there...aside from looking cool! Grant
Mark Henry
Is this for a /4? 2.0 right?
Nova Scotia, if your AFR, timing, engine combo, cooling system, thermostat is all in good condition and it's just for street driving you don't need a cooler. You'll only will need a cooler if you're planning to race.

Ian Stott drove home from my place to Moncton, almost non-stop, summer time and his oil temps never moved.
PanelBilly
I'm not using a cooler and in the Seattle area I don't see a reason for adding one

Less is better. At least I keep telling my wife that
mepstein
You don't have to cut up your front trunk at all. Use the plugs in front of the valance and remove the two plugs held in with seam sealer at the back of the trunk. Get a cooler with a fan pack to increase airflow when the car is stopped or moving slow. Done.

OK, 2 - 1" holes for the oil lines through the side of the trunk and holes under the rocker panels to run the lines.
SKL1
Just added a cooler on my '73 2.0 as I needed it in AZ. Used a Mocal 180 thermostat sandwitch adapter, made my own braided lines (with hose ends from Summit Racing- and not that hard) and mounted the cooler under the trunk.
I have a fan but haven't added it yet- will see how this works first...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

There is another thread here lately with lots of pictures- you may find it with a search.
barefoot
Look here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.