Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kroon 914/6 Chassis Harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I received my Kroon 914/6 harness last week. I wanted to share some pictures and a few "pearls of wisdom" I learned. They may help answer some of your questions should you decide to purchase a Kroon harness.

First off, Gerald Kroon (Kroon Wire Harnesses) makes a magnificent harness. I had an OE 6 harness several years ago (unfortunately, I sold it) and took dozens of pictures of it. I compared the pictures to the Kroon harness, the OE Porsche and the Kroon harness are almost identical in wire color, striping and wrapping. It looks like a brand new OE Porsche harness.

Core
You will need a core harness to send to Gerald Kroon. They need the core harness for specific parts, etc. I did not have an OE 914/6 harness to send but Gerald allowed me to send a 70 914/4 harness. Once they receive the harness, they will verify it has the parts they need. They will then put you in line for a build.

Deposit
Kroon did not require I send a deposit for partial payment. Gerald is old school and told me that if I took time (and money) to send him a core harness, I did not need to send a deposit.

It Will Take Time to Build
In total, it took almost 6 months to receive my new harness. Be patient. You are not their only customer and they build all harnesses to the customer's specs.

Be Specific as to What You Want
Make sure you tell Gerald exactly what you want. Most commonly, his orders are built to ROW specs. I asked for a US spec harness and that's exactly what I got.

Import Taxes/Duties
The 914/6 chassis harness was, at the time of purchase, 2560.00 euros. That's almost $2900.00 US at today's exchange rate. You will need to pay duties/import taxes on any import over $2500.00 US in value. Be prepared to get a call/email from US customs regarding the duties when it hits US Customs. They will also need your business tax id, or if you are an individual, your SSN. Once the harness hits US Customs, you only have 48 hours to get this information to them before they start charging warehousing storage charges. Don't delay.

Make Sure Gerald has the Correct Ship To Address
Once the harness is shipped, you cannot divert it to a different shipping address (I tried). Gerald shipped my harness to my home address even though I asked him to ship it to my work address. UPS requires a signature for delivery and won't release the package until you give them funds to cover the import taxes. My wife had to take time off of work to be home when UPS delivered the harness. It was a PIA.

But, overall it was worth the effort!

Greg
Tom_T
Thanx for the feedback info Greg.

Can you please also post the link to Kroon on here, for my & others' future reference?

PS - are you going to be ready for Parade in Spokane this June, or will you be entering a different car there?

TIA! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gcrotvik
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2017, 12:05 PM) *

Thanx for the feedback info Greg.

Can you please also post the link to Kroon on here, for my & others' future reference?

PS - are you going to be ready for Parade in Spokane this June, or will you be entering a different car there?

TIA! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Great request!

https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/

As you see, they manufacture many harnesses.

No, unfortunately not. I won't have a car ready. But I hope to attend!
Tom_T
Thanx Greg,

I just contacted them to see if they also do 914/4s for my 73 2.0 resto.

PCA usually alternates West to East or West-Mid-East every year, so they'll be back out here in 2 or 3 years.

You should spend some time watching the Concours judging & asking the judges questions, in order to learn how they work, for whenever you enter (ask when they're not judging at the the CdE, but catch them around or at the meals/etc.).

Mine won't be ready then either, but I knew that last year.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
raynekat
Nice write up about the Kroon harness Greg and all that back ground info on ordering from them. Interesting.

That harness definitely looks first rate.

I bought a 71 914-4 NOS harness that Aase sells for my car figuring 1) my existing harness was toast and all hacked up, so this had to be better that what I had and 2) that some kind of mods would have to be done with my MFI six conversion, so 4 vs 6 didn't matter so much in my case.

I understand the different needs for concourse projects....which mine certainly is not.

Well done!
mepstein
Kroon does not do a 4. He borrowed one of my harnesses for a year and a half but then finally returned it. He said there where too many variations on the 4's to make it profitable for him to produce.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.