Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacking up rear of 914.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith914
Is it acceptable to place a jack under the rear end of the transmission to raise the rear of the car? We do it with no problems similarly by placing a jack under the engine of 911's near the rear end of the engine case to raise the rear of the whole car.
injunmort
it is frowned upon, but i will jack in the middle of the trans on the webs
Cracker
I wouldn't do it anywhere on the trans...it places all the pressure on the trans mount bushings. JMHO

Tony
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 1 2017, 06:44 PM) *

I wouldn't do it anywhere on the trans...it places all the pressure on the trans mount bushings. JMHO

Tony

agree.gif

.... & then your bushings are holding 1/2 the weight of the car +/- 1100 lbs., instead of just the few 100 lbs. transaxle.

Better to jack at one of the rear jack doughnuts, or at the middle cross-section between them.

There is a pic of them which has been posted, but it was saved on my old laptop, so maybe someone else can post that pic of the safe 914 jacking points for you? confused24.gif

Be Safe! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
injunmort
as i said, it, frowned upon, but, it does not twist anything. not optimimum, but with one jack, easiest way to get it up on stands, if it really stresse the mounts, they need to be replaced anyway.
SirAndy
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 1 2017, 09:43 PM) *

as i said, it, frowned upon, but, it does not twist anything. not optimimum, but with one jack, easiest way to get it up on stands, if it really stresse the mounts, they need to be replaced anyway.

I strongly disagree. The stock mounts and many of the aftermarket mounts are rubber based.

Normally, they only have to support half the weight of the transmission and engine pulling down on them.

If you use the transmission to jack up the car, you are now putting half the weight of the car on those rubber mounts!
blink.gif
Keith914
So, I am using a compromise: one jack on each lifting doughnut with two ratchet jacks touching with some of the load under each side of the engine cross bar for safety. Allows access to the two trailing arms for bush replacements.

Thanks for all your advice.
TheCabinetmaker
Uh oh. You said ratchet jack stands. Wait for it!
Cracker
If I am lifting the car to place stands on the rear donuts...I first lift at the engine mount/cross-bar. Easy and strong + no bushings to stress.

T
TheCabinetmaker
Not as strong as you might think. The mount bar is bolted to a small piece of metal than can and does bend. Not meant to hold the weight of the car, just the engine.
Cracker
In all fairness, mine is 1" thick but have never experienced any deflection before with 1/4" plate. Still better than lifting at the trans...

T

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 2 2017, 11:42 AM) *

Not as strong as you might think. The mount bar is bolted to a small piece of metal than can and does bend. Not meant to hold the weight of the car, just the engine.

Click to view attachment
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 1 2017, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 1 2017, 06:44 PM) *

Tony

agree.gif

.... & then your bushings are holding 1/2 the weight of the car +/- 1100 lbs., instead of just the few 100 lbs. transaxle.

Better to jack at one of the rear jack doughnuts, or at the middle cross-section between them.

There is a pic of them which has been posted, but it was saved on my old laptop, so maybe someone else can post that pic of the safe 914 jacking points for you? confused24.gif

Be Safe! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,
you mean this one?

Click to view attachment

I jack it up by the engine mount cross-bar & then place jack stands under the donuts
interesting observation by Kurt on the strength of the cross-bar attachment I may need to modify the way I do it. I only lift by the bar I don't use it as long term support

beerchug.gif
cjl
Keith914
Hmmm! All these comments suggest if you want to get jack stands under the rear doughnut, the jacking point is just in front of the rear doughnuts on the body beams/channels "longs" (?)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2017, 08:29 AM) *
I first lift at the engine mount/cross-bar. Easy and strong + no bushings to stress.

Also worth mentioning that early cars have rubber outer mounts on the engine cross bar!

Only the later cars with sideshifter transmission have solid outer mounts.
shades.gif
Cracker
Details, details, details...just get a couple buddies and lift the damn thing up on the stands! shades.gif

T

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 2 2017, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Apr 2 2017, 08:29 AM) *
I first lift at the engine mount/cross-bar. Easy and strong + no bushings to stress.

Also worth mentioning that early cars have rubber outer mounts on the engine cross bar!

Only the later cars with sideshifter transmission have solid outer mounts.
shades.gif

stugray
If I want to jack the rear of the car to put jackstands under the rear donuts, I jack the car up using the trailing arm tube, OR I jack using the donut and put the jackstand under the tube.

Now that was all before I started usning a single jack point for the whole rear of the car, but if you want it to NOT put a strain on the trans, then you get solid rear mounts AND build one of these:

IPB Image biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.