Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsh or Porsh-a?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
IronHillRestorations
No one says "Dodd Gee" when saying "Dodge". I do not correct anyone on the pronunciation of Porsche, unless they ask.

This thread makes me think of my time working at a grocery store in a small town, we were instructed to be nice, kind, and never insult the customers.

An older lady from way up northeast with a heavy northeast accent came in asking for "bah-lee", I asked "what?" she said louder "BAH-LEE", I said "bah-lee?", she said "YES BAH-LEE!!". Confused and a little frustrated, I said "what do you do with it?". She said "YA KNOW BAH-LEE DONTCHA? YA PUT IT IN SOUP" Realizing she wanted barley, I said "oh yea bah-lee" and showed her where the barley was. smile.gif

Sometimes it's not what you say, it's how you say it.
Eric_Shea
Shee-a vs. Shay

It's a name. It sure is nice when it's pronounced properly. Why not?
914_teener
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 4 2017, 09:01 AM) *

ANY word that is pronounced properly shows, respect, care and intelligence. A word miss pronounced because you don't know the proper pronunciation is ignorance. Purposely miss pronouncing a word even though you know the proper pronunciation is laziness and stupidity. If you think that's elitism, re-read the first sentence. biggrin.gif

agree.gif

I might add a bit of narcissim as to why it would not be important.
Big Len
So 914 teener, when a stranger comes up to you and says, "Wow, that's a beautiful Porsch", do you correct them? What if it were a family member? Really?

If you were taking a trip to Italy, would you tell people you are flying into Roma? If you say Rome, you'd be wrong, then you're a narcissist? Really?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Big Len @ Apr 4 2017, 03:54 PM) *

So 914 teener, when a stranger comes up to you and says, "Wow, that's a beautiful Porsch", do you correct them? What if it were a family member? Really?

If you were taking a trip to Italy, would you tell people you are flying into Roma? If you say Rome, you'd be wrong, then you're a narcissist? Really?

I'd say "Thanks!" with no correction.

(if it were a family member, they'd obviously pronounce it properly) huh.gif

When in Rome (Roma)... blink.gif

Different languages have different pronunciations for the same word. I would think that's universal. I think that's how Porsche developed as a single syllable word in American English. But, having had the opportunity to have lunch with Hans Peter, I'm sure he would appreciate his name being pronounced properly. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Big Len
Agree Eric. We, as Porsche owners, should pronounce it correctly, but there are times when I'm talking fast, I shorten it. It the end, it never bothered me, when someone says Porsch, maybe by the fact that they guessed the marque accurately if it were a stranger. I'm just a bit surprised that some people care much more than that.
SKL1
Though a bit taller, Hans Peter is looking more and more like his father as he ages...
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 4 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Shee-a vs. Shay

So you prefer "Shee-a"? confused24.gif WTF.gif kind of name is Shee-a? Is that Arabic? laugh.gif
My 914
Most people here in eastern Massachusetts say Porsh. I have always said Porsh to myself, probably because that's what I heard growing up, but say Porsh-a when talking to others about the car. I do not correct others about their pronunciation unless they ask me specifically.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 3 2017, 02:29 PM) *

When I lived in Weingarten, there was a little bar on the corner where we would occasionally go have a beer after work. The other American and I were walking through the gate one evening with a couple of the local girls that worked with us. I asked them, "Hey, want to go to the Linde?"

I cannot really describe the look of scorn on the one girl's face, although I am sure there is a very long compound German adjective for this specific situation. She said, "It's not Lind-uh." Note- the "you moron" here is implied, but unmistakable.

"It's Lind-eh." Then she made me say it about fifty times before pronouncing that I would never in my life pass for German. Then we went to the Linde and had a beer.

This one makes me giggle a bit, Linde is my welding gas supplier, German owned multinational company.
They answer the phones as Lind, not Lyn-da or Lyn-dee.

http://www.lindecanada.com/en/index.html

Actually they say Lind Canada.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 4 2017, 06:27 PM) *
QUOTE(mbseto @ Apr 3 2017, 02:29 PM) *
When I lived in Weingarten, there was a little bar on the corner where we would occasionally go have a beer after work. The other American and I were walking through the gate one evening with a couple of the local girls that worked with us. I asked them, "Hey, want to go to the Linde?"

I cannot really describe the look of scorn on the one girl's face, although I am sure there is a very long compound German adjective for this specific situation. She said, "It's not Lind-uh." Note- the "you moron" here is implied, but unmistakable.

"It's Lind-eh." Then she made me say it about fifty times before pronouncing that I would never in my life pass for German. Then we went to the Linde and had a beer.

This one makes me giggle a bit, Linde is my welding gas supplier, German owned multinational company.
They answer the phones as Lind, not Lyn-da or Lyn-dee.
http://www.lindecanada.com/en/index.html
Actually they say Lind Canada.

The e at the end of Linde is actually pronounced exactly the same way the e at the end of Porsche is pronounced ...
shades.gif

PS: Linde is a tree, one that can grow quite big and can live well over 1000 years.

iankarr
Does it feel pretentious to say "Folksvahgen" instead of Volkswagen?.

I think this porsh-uh vs Porsh issue only exists because we're so passionate about these cars and value their precision...so we want to honor them with their native pronunciation. The fact is that very few foreign names are honored in English. Even Mercedes-Benz is mispronounced as "mer-say-deez" instead of "mer-said-ess"

Porsche or Porsche? Personally, I use both.
Rand
I'm hungry. Can someone help me order a gyro?
Just went through an ordeal trying to get our voiceover guy to correctly pronounce "Marmot" for a marketing video.
Makes Porsche seem straightforward.
iankarr
ha! don't forget the tah-ziki sauce!
My 914
Tza-ziki
IronHillRestorations
I just want to know if it's "She-Ah" or "Shay", that's much more important to me smile.gif
Minerva's 914
Chevrolet.

My last name is Lambert. Here in the states everyone, including myself says Lam bert, overseas, especially in France it's pronounced Lam ber. If people around the world want to pay me over $14,000 profit on every unit I sell, they can pronounce it any way they wish and I'll be happy.
RickS
Ex-father in law in S. Oregon called Mitsubishis, Mitsu-bitchies. Maybe he was on to something.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Apr 5 2017, 05:29 AM) *

I just want to know if it's "She-Ah" or "Shay", that's much more important to me smile.gif

Shay like the stadium (for those who remember what that is). For the younger crowd, Shea like the "butter". Shea Butter... you can now go poke out your minds eye! biggrin.gif
iankarr
Porsche actually made a video on how to say it. 1.3 million views and counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2eYuGdmfY
mbseto
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 4 2017, 10:14 PM) *

The e at the end of Linde is actually pronounced exactly the same way the e at the end of Porsche is pronounced ...

Hence the story.

To be fair, those girls were tasked with making sure we spoke proper German for the customers...
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Apr 5 2017, 11:17 AM) *

Porsche actually made a video on how to say it. 1.3 million views and counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2eYuGdmfY

And that proves how much Porsche cares about the pronunciation of Porsche. So get it right or Ferry will strike you down from above biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
I said Porsh until I was old enough to know better (~16 years old)...tougher to figure out in the days before internet/youtube etc.

Now I say it the correct way biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 5 2017, 07:46 AM) *

Shay like the stadium (for those who remember what that is). For the younger crowd, Shea like the "butter". Shea Butter... you can now go poke out your minds eye! biggrin.gif

I thought so, minds eye sufficiently poked.

Funny thing is I had a guy on the phone once that pronounced your name "She-Ah" blink.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 4 2017, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 4 2017, 10:31 AM) *

Shee-a vs. Shay

So you prefer "Shee-a"? confused24.gif WTF.gif kind of name is Shee-a? Is that Arabic? laugh.gif

And its pronounced "Erc"

Zach
ThreeV8s
The only version of it that really grates my nerves is Matt LeBlanc’s “Pawsh” that he utters too often on Top Gear.
My 914
He must be from Boston
banananose914
Whenever someone asks about my car, I just say that it's a 914. Pretty straightforward to me. That way I don't have to explain why it's a "Porsha" not a Volkswagen.
Mark Henry
I don't care as long as they don't paint it with Thompson's water seal laugh.gif
AZBanks
I pronounce it the way Dr. Porsche said it, IDGARA how other pronounce it.
black73

So, is it Keel or Kile?
My 914
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 7 2017, 02:57 PM) *

I pronounce it the way Dr. Porsche said it, IDGARA how other pronounce it.

Ditto
Dave_Darling
At one point, now a number of years ago, the official position of PCNA was:

The company name can be pronounced "Porsh" or "Porsh-uh", however you like it. Especially if you're buying one.

The family name, however, is "Porsh-uh".

--DD
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(black73 @ Apr 7 2017, 01:59 PM) *

So, is it Keel or Kile?

Funny for some reason I just saw this. It's Keel smile.gif
krazykonrad
The real German pronunciation is more like Porsch-eh.

Konrad
theer
agree.gif

100% right.
preach
So this well to do guy gets a knock on his door from a guy that was down and out and was asked if he had any work for the guy so he could make a few bucks.

The homeowner says: 'sure, I'll give you $300 to paint the porch.' Then shows him the paint and the brushes.

He comes back at the end of the day and the guy is waiting for him at the end of the driveway.

The guy greets him warmly and excited about his job well done and says: 'Man I painted all day, but I couldn't find a Porsche, so I painted the Ferrari instead!"

piratenanner.gif
Ed_Turbo
Careful around the purists and keyboard warriors. They will crusify you if you mispronounce it laugh.gif
Front yard mechanic
So how do you pronounce porsh if you have more than one
Front yard mechanic
In New Mexico we have the front porsh and the back porsh and drive Carmen garcias
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 12 2017, 10:09 PM) *

Careful around the purists and keyboard warriors. They will crusify you if you mispronounce it laugh.gif

On the keyboard how would one know how you pronounce it? biggrin.gif
Bartlett 914
I can't help it. I may think Porsh uh but being a Damn Hoosier it just comes out the other way LOL
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2017, 01:32 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 2 2017, 09:24 PM) *
It's not being elitist or anything

I fail to see how pronouncing someone's name correctly could be considered elitist ...
confused24.gif

It isn't. Making an effort to pronounce someone's name correctly is just polite.
black73
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 12 2017, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(black73 @ Apr 7 2017, 01:59 PM) *

So, is it Keel or Kile?

Funny for some reason I just saw this. It's Keel smile.gif

OK, that's what I thought. beerchug.gif
RickS
being a total snob and a hole I always correct the Porch people by saying, I'm sorry, it's properly pronounced Porker. Don't Fuch it up.
kgruen2
KrazyKonrad has the closest way a non-german speaking person would pronounce Porsche. In the German language, the "e" at the end of a word or name is not silent. It has 2 syllables and is pronounced "Porsch-eh". Any one that owns a Porsche should know how to pronounce it. Everyone else, praise them for knowing what a "Porsch" is.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jul 12 2017, 12:31 PM) *

The real German pronunciation is more like Porsch-eh.

Konrad

Eh? So Canada had it right all along, eh?... Eh?... EH?
iankarr
As my English professor used to say, languages are nothing but sounds with rules....and they dictate pronunciation. Do you say "Noter Dame" or "No-tra Dahm"? "Porto Rico" or "Pwerto Rico?" Words and phrases, just like voices, have accents. Since "che" in English has a silent "e", saying "Porsh" is playing by the "rules" of the language. Yes, family names can be viewed as exceptions, but most people immersed in a language accept the adaptation (Shwartzenegger vs. schvahrtznegger). It's always funny to hear a newscaster speaking English and then jumping to a foreign accent when they say their names. And I can see how it sounds elitist to use a German accent when saying Porsche, but not when pronouncing other foreign names (Fer-Rahr-ree instead of Feh-rahhhh-ri). Personally, I use porsh around laypeople, and porscheh around fellow aficionados...since groups of people and clubs with similar interests have their own language rules....and pronouncing Ferdinand's family name with a German accent is one of them.

Wow. I finally got to use all that linguistics theory from college smile.gif

And Baba booey to y'all!
kgruen2
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jul 21 2017, 05:27 AM) *

As my English professor used to say, languages are nothing but sounds with rules....and they dictate pronunciation. Do you say "Noter Dame" or "No-tra Dahm"? "Porto Rico" or "Pwerto Rico?" Words and phrases, just like voices, have accents. Since "che" in English has a silent "e", saying "Porsh" is playing by the "rules" of the language. Yes, family names can be viewed as exceptions, but most people immersed in a language accept the adaptation (Shwartzenegger vs. schvahrtznegger). It's always funny to hear a newscaster speaking English and then jumping to a foreign accent when they say their names. And I can see how it sounds elitist to use a German accent when saying Porsche, but not when pronouncing other foreign names (Fer-Rahr-ree instead of Feh-rahhhh-ri). Personally, I use porsh around laypeople, and porscheh around fellow aficionados...since groups of people and clubs with similar interests have their own language rules....and pronouncing Ferdinand's family name with a German accent is one of them.

Wow. I finally got to use all that linguistics theory from college smile.gif

And Baba booey to y'all!

Newscasters are idiots. They try to come off as worldly and intellectual, when all they are doing is reading a script. By the way, the German "sch" is the equivalent English "sh", as in "scheise" and "sh**". At least everyone is getting that part right.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 13 2017, 03:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 3 2017, 01:32 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 2 2017, 09:24 PM) *
It's not being elitist or anything

I fail to see how pronouncing someone's name correctly could be considered elitist ...
confused24.gif

It isn't. Making an effort to pronounce someone's name correctly is just polite.

I have several south Asian and middle eastern customers who are 2nd generation Canadian, all of them go by nicknames or short forms.

This includes my Doctor who tells his clients to call him his short form for his first name, with or without doctor in front of it.
They don't care.

"How do you spell your name?"
"Nahasapeemapetalan"
"How do you pronounce it?"
"Bob."
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.